Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! Newbie here, and a female, so pretty much lost. Please help... I have a 2003 Tiburon automatic 2.7L .. salvage/reconstructed title. Got it with 61k miles now has 83k.

In the summer it did this really hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd (the whole car just jerks / jumps forward *violently* ) but my mechanic fixed it by tightening a bolt in one of the motor mounts.

It's winter time and now it's doing it again. Tried cleaning the MAF, didn't help.
Airbag light is on, not sure if this relates.
Check engine light is NOT on.
In Jan 2012, a douche bag poured a gallon of water inside the gas tank (nearly empty). Had to tow the car to a shop to get the tank cleaned. Shifting problem started after that.

Car runs fine and shifts fine, it's just scary and annoying. When I have people in the car, I accelerate slowly so that it doesn't do it. When I release the gas pedal slowly, it kinda does this little jump too.

I don't think I ever changed the transmission fluid, or the person before me did. Haven't checked the condition of it either.

I'm thinking about just using lucas oil transmission fix. Has anyone tried?

Any help is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Well it could be a torn motor mount. Have you checked to see if they are ripped? you have 4 of them, check the front and rear ones first i doubt the side mounts would have damage. It would cause rocking of the engine if they are torn/broken causing a jerking effect on hard acceleration/deceleration. You don't have a check engine light on as well right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for responding! My mechanic checked all motor mounts and apparently they're fine. The check engine light is not on (just edited the original post) . I think it's a transmission problem. At this point, I wanna sell the car...just not in this condition.

Well it could be a torn motor mount. Have you checked to see if they are ripped? you have 4 of them, check the front and rear ones first i doubt the side mounts would have damage. It would cause rocking of the engine if they are torn/broken causing a jerking effect on hard acceleration/deceleration. You don't have a check engine light on as well right?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Hmm, is it only in certain gears? Or is it consistent at a certain point in every gear ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
if its your only car at the moment do not flush the transmission fluid, it is quite possible that this could worsen the problem. from what you have said i would deffinatly say transmission problem...
i had the same thing happen to my truck. i took it to a few shops out here locally and they all told me i needed to either rebuild the one i had or to replace it. which of course is uber expensive

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK here's the issue. I just went through this same problem. The data in your TCM has went corrupt. This sometimes happens when the battery is disconnected for a while then reconnected. It trips the power relay for the TCM and "scrambles its brain" unfortunately the only way to solve this problem is to take ot to the local Hyundai dealer and have the TCM reprogrammed. It should only cost around $60 as long as they don't throw a diagnostic charge at ya...

·
Banned
9,129 Posts
OK here's the issue. I just went through this same problem. The data in your TCM has went corrupt. This sometimes happens when the battery is disconnected for a while then reconnected. It trips the power relay for the TCM and "scrambles its brain" unfortunately the only way to solve this problem is to take ot to the local Hyundai dealer and have the TCM reprogrammed. It should only cost around $60 as long as they don't throw a diagnostic charge at ya...

lolwut?!?!

Take it to any auto parts store and have them run an OBDII scanner on it...just because your CEL isn't "on" doesn't mean that you don't have any stored codes or that someone didn't "modify" the CEL so that a potential future buyer wouldn't see it...they could have taken the bulb out or disconnected it for all we know...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
lolwut?!?!

Take it to any auto parts store and have them run an OBDII scanner on it...just because your CEL isn't "on" doesn't mean that you don't have any stored codes or that someone didn't "modify" the CEL so that a potential future buyer wouldn't see it...they could have taken the bulb out or disconnected it for all we know...
^ This definitely, sometimes used cars have hidden treasures that you find lol

·
Retired NT Staff
4,119 Posts
His link seemed to describe what she is describing.

Now stop being snarky you two. Keep backhanded comments in your head. :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
she said it has a salvage title. which means it sat somewhere for a while with the power discharged. This is actually a VERY common occurence with not only Tib's but other Hyundai made cars as well. If you look at the hmaservice.com site theres about 6 TSB's issued covering this problem. When the power to the TCM is discharged it loses it's shift points causing the delay between shifts to be off. The reason there is a violent jerk between 2nd and 3rd is because the TCM is giving no delay between shifts for the solenoids to catch up. I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's ass here this is a real problem with our car's

Symptoms that point to this being the problem:

-Most noticable is the violent jerk between 2nd and 3rd
-Also sometimes the car feels like it's over reving between 2nd and 3rd or takes a few seconds longer for 3rd to catch
-When letting off the accelerator in 4th the car will speed up slightly for a sec or 2 before it starts it's down shift pattern.
-No power band at wide open throttle
-And lastly 2nd gear seems to drive out longer than any other gear and you can feel the violent shift coming on

Now not all these symptoms happen in the same drive cycle and sometimes they don't happen at all in a drive cycle. Because the TCM has lost it's programming it now has the freedom to decide when it wants to screw with you :) remember these are korean cars, and koreans never were as good with computers and the japanese :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
she said it has a salvage title. which means it sat somewhere for a while with the power discharged. This is actually a VERY common occurence with not only Tib's but other Hyundai made cars as well. If you look at the hmaservice.com site theres about 6 TSB's issued covering this problem. When the power to the TCM is discharged it loses it's shift points causing the delay between shifts to be off. The reason there is a violent jerk between 2nd and 3rd is because the TCM is giving no delay between shifts for the solenoids to catch up. I'm not blowing smoke up anyone's ass here this is a real problem with our car's

Symptoms that point to this being the problem:

-Most noticable is the violent jerk between 2nd and 3rd
-Also sometimes the car feels like it's over reving between 2nd and 3rd or takes a few seconds longer for 3rd to catch
-When letting off the accelerator in 4th the car will speed up slightly for a sec or 2 before it starts it's down shift pattern.
-No power band at wide open throttle
-And lastly 2nd gear seems to drive out longer than any other gear and you can feel the violent shift coming on

Now not all these symptoms happen in the same drive cycle and sometimes they don't happen at all in a drive cycle. Because the TCM has lost it's programming it now has the freedom to decide when it wants to screw with you :) remember these are korean cars, and koreans never were as good with computers and the japanese :)
Wow, you just saved me a lot of worry. My car just started doing this after I installed some HIDs. This explains everything now. I thought for sure my tranny was going out, now I'm much relieved to see this thread. I have all of those symptoms except, "When letting off the accelerator in 4th the car will speed up slightly for a sec or 2 before it starts it's down shift pattern." So you are saying I can get the dealer to reprogram this for about $60?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, you just saved me a lot of worry. My car just started doing this after I installed some HIDs. This explains everything now. I thought for sure my tranny was going out, now I'm much relieved to see this thread. I have all of those symptoms except, "When letting off the accelerator in 4th the car will speed up slightly for a sec or 2 before it starts it's down shift pattern." So you are saying I can get the dealer to reprogram this for about $60?

Hey sorry I've been offline for quite a while. Not sure if you got this fixed but yes. If you go to www.hmaservice.com and register and then go to the TSB area and look for a TSB titled "2nd to 3rd shift feel" or something along those lines, theres actually like 6 different ones to print. Take those with you to the dealer. Otherwise if you just take the car in they will do like they tried to do with me and charge a $100 diagnostic fee to "make sure thats the problem" then when they find out what you already know they will charge another $60 to wipe the TSB and reprogram it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey sorry I've been offline for quite a while. Not sure if you got this fixed but yes. If you go to www.hmaservice.com and register and then go to the TSB area and look for a TSB titled "2nd to 3rd shift feel" or something along those lines, theres actually like 6 different ones to print. Take those with you to the dealer. Otherwise if you just take the car in they will do like they tried to do with me and charge a $100 diagnostic fee to "make sure thats the problem" then when they find out what you already know they will charge another $60 to wipe the TSB and reprogram it.
oops they'll reprogram the TCM not TSB HAHA

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is happening to my 2008 tib. I took it to Hyundai to get it reprogrammed and they did but I am still getting the hard shift, only between 2-3 gears. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey juicetoe. i have a 08 tib gs. with the same issue. Did you find any reliable fix.
Yes I did, I took it into hyundai and had them reprogram my tcm again. They said the shift points were off and the reprogram fixed it. Never happend again after that. I think they charged me $150. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I did, I took it into hyundai and had them reprogram my tcm again. They said the shift points were off and the reprogram fixed it. Never happend again after that. I think they charged me $150. Hope this helps
thanks for getting back to me. The strange things is the 2-3 hard shift happens very occasionally and i have not been able to understand the pattern.. it doesnt matter whether i am revving (3+ rpm) or just moving slow (2 rpm). It seems moody ...

I am going to hyundai soon for the reprogram and will report back on the details. Hopefully that would be the fix. ..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts