Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanks for getting back to me. The strange things is the 2-3 hard shift happens very occasionally and i have not been able to understand the pattern.. it doesnt matter whether i am revving (3+ rpm) or just moving slow (2 rpm). It seems moody ...

I am going to hyundai soon for the reprogram and will report back on the details. Hopefully that would be the fix. ..
Any update? I'm having this problem too but I just got a whole new transmission put in <1000mi ago. and I only bought the car this summer. Damn thing is a money pit :(

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
Any update? I'm having this problem too but I just got a whole new transmission put in <1000mi ago. and I only bought the car this summer. Damn thing is a money pit :(
Don't you have a warranty on the trans? If so, take it back and get them to fix it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't you have a warranty on the trans? If so, take it back and get them to fix it.
So it's not a "brand new" transmission, it is a newer one (70k mi) than what I had (150k mi+). When I bought it the warranty was said to cover the mechanical parts that they supplied but since this is electrical, I'm not sure that it'll cover it. Kind of a shady deal how I got it anyway, it's from LKQ. I've had so many problems with the car I may just take the thing to a hyundai dealership and make them do the TSB on my own dime

·
Administrator
8,782 Posts
You're assuming it's electrical, how do you know? Just based on similar issues in a few threads here?

I'm not saying what the issue is as we don't know yet.

Has it been like this since the trans was installed? If so, did you talk to the shop about it and what did they say?
If it happened later on, did you talk to the shop about it and what did they say?

What was wrong with the other trans that caused yo to replace it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You're assuming it's electrical, how do you know? Just based on similar issues in a few threads here?

I'm not saying what the issue is as we don't know yet.

Has it been like this since the trans was installed? If so, did you talk to the shop about it and what did they say?
If it happened later on, did you talk to the shop about it and what did they say?

What was wrong with the other trans that caused yo to replace it?
The old transmission went into fail-safe mode after hard shifting from 2nd-3rd, 4th-3rd and N-1st which prompted me to replace it. The new transmission has only a warranty on the parts which were supplied which does not include the TCM so I guess i'm on my own. Furthermore, the part was installed by an AAMCO which was not the supplier of the part and warranty (LKQ Corp.). Kinda boned but I'm going to try what another user suggested about disconnecting the battery and driving extremely for about 100mi so that the computer re-learns the shift points? It kinda makes sense and I'd rather do that than throw hundreds of dollars at a shop to fix it and then have the same problem in 5000mi.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This guy I tell ya is an effing genius ^^

And well I didn't replace the sensor, I read over the TSB you link like 10 times. Then I thought to myself I bet I could do that just using my scanner with live feed.

Because after taking it to the dealer like 6 months ago and having the TCM reflashed. I started having the problem again after we unhooked my battery to install headers.

For some reason EVERY time I disconnect the battery it starts doing it again!

So after work I drove my car to the straightest, longest, least traveled, paved road I know of, which took just enough time to get the trans to operating temp as they mention on the TSB.

I then pulled of to the side killed the car, popped the hood and pulled the positive cable off the battery and pumped the brakes (to reset everything)

I reconnected the cable started the car and ran through the procress of holding the TPS at 35% while it shifted through the gears and stopping for 5 secs after it reached 4th gear. The TSB says to do this cycle 5 times.

But note if you dont come to a full stop again after the 5th cycle you will muck it up and have to start again.

But low and behold upon completing the 5th cycle and stopping I had my mother effing tranny back again!!!! I mashed it 3 or 4 times on the way home just waiting for it to kick and NOTHING!

Hope this solves it for a lot of people

·
Registered
44 Posts
You must have an earlier model Tib; as disconnection of the battery will not initiate a re-learn on the later models. I own an '07 GT & commanding the 'Adaptive Re-learn' can only be done with High-Scan Pro or Hyundai GDS. That latter being out-of-reach to the average Joe. Glad you're fixed!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You must have an earlier model Tib; as disconnection of the battery will not initiate a re-learn on the later models. I own an '07 GT & commanding the 'Adaptive Re-learn' can only be done with High-Scan Pro or Hyundai GDS. That latter being out-of-reach to the average Joe. Glad you're fixed!
Yeah I jumped the gun, although it DID make it better, not completely fixed. It did however go from kicking every time it went through the shift cycle to only doing it once today. I don't know how I could of made it better if you cant command the re-learn but it somehow changed it ever so slightly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah I jumped the gun, although it DID make it better, not completely fixed. It did however go from kicking every time it went through the shift cycle to only doing it once today. I don't know how I could of made it better if you cant command the re-learn but it somehow changed it ever so slightly.
Day 3 no kick, not gonna say I fixed it, but I'd suggest people with the problem give it a try

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2004 Tiburon. It started hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd, I had bought the car as a cheap driver and thought OK transmission is going. I thought it was not practical for me to repair the car. After talking to a friend who does Transmission work and him checking the engine codes, I found their was 4 codes showing. O2 sensor, Mass Air flow sensor, Intake valve sensor and Oil temp sensor. Well after calling a shop and getting $500.00 dollar estimate to get these repaired I said to my self I have nothing to loose to try to repair myself. I found bad connector on Valve sensor, Bought mass flow air sensor and O2 sensor. Then after reading this blog and talking to my friend again. Found out about Resetting TCM or Transmission Control Module. Well Dealer wanted $200.00 for TCM work and then my friend told me a secret I thought I would share with you. All you have to do is disconnect the battery and short the two leads going to the car together. Turn on your key and leave it for 1.2 hour. This resets all the computers and the TCM and the error codes. Well after the repairs I did for $60 bucks and the reset the car is nor shifting great. The error code came back but it is probable the oil temp sensor I could not find at carparts.com. By the way I was told just the Mass Flow Air sensor was going to be $150. Well I found it online for $30. So $700 dollars estimate of repair for $60 bucks. It took a few hours to get everything together but it was worth the savings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for getting back to me. The strange things is the 2-3 hard shift happens very occasionally and i have not been able to understand the pattern.. it doesnt matter whether i am revving (3+ rpm) or just moving slow (2 rpm). It seems moody ...

I am going to hyundai soon for the reprogram and will report back on the details. Hopefully that would be the fix. ..

Hey. Did you get the TCM reprogrammed and are you still having the same problem

21 - 33 of 33 Posts