Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

More embarrassing than anything as I’ve done an alternator replacement on my 06 GT V6 & 05 SE V6 Tib like 4 times with zero issues.

I’ve gotten so familiar I can do it in an hour. But I got trapped last night, and spent 4 hours on just the last bolt! The simple upper alternator mount bolt! I shredded my fingers trying to thread that last 12mm bolt which goes through the alt mount and screws into the alternator itself, had to finally just step back, and am just beside myself!

The bolt threads fine direct into the alternator, but when lined up it just refuses to grab when through the mount to the alternator itself! This is killing me!

I’m about ready to just get the best self tapping bolt and use that. Just so it will grab and tighten! The threads are on the alternator. So don’t even care if it cuts new threads as they are on the alternator (throwaway part if I need to replace it again), but it’s currently a new one.

Its lined up, I even put a rod through it to ensure it is, then tightening the lower bolt just to hold it right in place and the upper mount hole is confirmed aligned. But it just won’t bite!

Argh! I’d rather just put a solid clamp there as it’s only a one dimensional movement the bolt holds! Up and down swing, and isn’t how it’s tension adjusted as the auto tensioner handles that. A rod with a cotter pin would do the job if I drilled through the upper bolt hole on the alternator!

If I screw the bolt directly into the alternator it threads easily. But when the bolt is through the alternator mount upper hole it won’t even start to grab and is perfectly flush with the alternator.

I’ve even left the lower bolt a little loose so I can jiggle it trying to get the upper bolt to grab, but no joy.

Any group suggestions for a “trick”, or a recommended bolt I can use to just start and cut new threads in the upper alternator itself? Just need it secured. If I replace it again, the new alternator will have clean new threads anyway. Both mounting surfaces are smooth and aligned so it’s not crooked or anything. I can put a stubby philips screwdriver of the same size as the 12mm bolt in the hole and it’s secure. But no real way to secure it from popping back out.

Alternator case is softer aluminum, the alternator mount hole itself has no threads. So I’m ready to even jam a hardened lag bolt in there to cut into the alternator threads itself and just torque it down & be done with it.

Any ideas for what’s best to just secure the upper bolt that will hold? Even cutting the threads in the alternator itself is just fine by me. 4 hours trying to thread one fairly small bolt is just crazy!

I’m ready to do anything to just secure it at this point.

Thanks in advance for any ideas at all. Losing my mind here.

·
Administrator
9,165 Posts
Are there different length bolts and you may have swapped them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there different length bolts and you may have swapped them.
Nope, only 1 bolt and it threads fine when not through the mount hole.

Was sick of it, even with a new identical bolt it refused to thread.

Since the threads are only on the alternator, I just got a hardened lag bolt of the same size and crossthreaded it tight! If I replace it again, the threads on the alternator will be new anyway. Was no longer worth the time and hassle and it’s now secured.

thank you though!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts