Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help! Power but no sound? Yes I color matched and still no sound *with pics*

Hey guys I hooked up my new jvc kd-g720 to the appropriate wire harness, and I have power (lights are on and I can read cds, but I get no sound. I hooked up all the color coded wires for the rear and front left and right speakers, so I don't know what's wrong.

One thing I did notice was that the male connector harness from the car had a wire in the #12 position, which is for amp remote and my wiring harness doesn't have a lead connection there. I don't know if this means anything.

Also, the audio manual said to connect the ground to the chassis or metal panel of the car, but I saw a black ground wire in the #8 position so I hooked it up there. Was that right?

Thanks for your help

Please check my work, I've attached pictures explaining all the connections I have and what I've connected. See post #11

This is the stock harness (male connection):

This is the underside of the same stock harness (male connection):

This is my wiring harness from ebay (female connection). Notice the missing pin in position #12:

This is the rear of that ebay harness. Notice the orange with black stripe connection, that one is not connected anywhere.

This is the same ebay harness showing that the blue (position #1 - power antenna) and black (position #8 - ground) have no connection.

This is the new male harness connection to the new stereo (top side)

This is the same male harness to the new stereo (bottom side):

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I would connect directly to the chassis, thats what ive always done...oh and did you try turning up the volume? I know it sounds stupid but I have to ask.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slow 2K2GT said:
I would connect directly to the chassis, thats what ive always done...oh and did you try turning up the volume? I know it sounds stupid but I have to ask.
I thought that too, so yeah I turned up the volume and messed with the mute button and still no sound. So you think I should unplug the ground wire in position #8 and just solder that to the chassis? If I do this then the ground wire in position #8 will just be hanging? or should I solder both ends to the chassis? I thought about doing that too, but do you think that'll make a difference for the sound to work?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so I cut the ground wire and soldered it to the chassis and still no sound.

i was reading some where that if you get a AA battery and connect both ends of the harness together then you should hear some hissing if the right wires match up. Is that right?

I'm thinking that either the color coded wires are not in the right position or the stereo is broken internally.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Since the cd player seems to be functioning properly, its properly the wiring to your speakers. Make sure you didn't mix up the + and - wires. I never used a harness when I wired mine...I just read the labels on the wires and soldered them up myself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea I had that problem also. What is wrong is that the harness does not have a connection for the lead turn on for the stock amp. Just connect the lead coming out of the deck to the light pink wire (stock amp lead) coming off of the car harness. Another problem that I came across installing an aftermarket deck into a Tiburon with a stock amp was the volume. Because the deck puts out more power (52X4)then the stock radio when I have it at volume 2 it is pretty loud. So if you want to turn down the volume to hear something its either on or off. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
i have done a few tib deck and sub installs and never a problem one....are you not getting sound out of your sub? or your components?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BlackT16 said:
Yea I had that problem also. What is wrong is that the harness does not have a connection for the lead turn on for the stock amp. Just connect the lead coming out of the deck to the light pink wire (stock amp lead) coming off of the car harness. Another problem that I came across installing an aftermarket deck into a Tiburon with a stock amp was the volume. Because the deck puts out more power (52X4)then the stock radio when I have it at volume 2 it is pretty loud. So if you want to turn down the volume to hear something its either on or off. Just a heads up.
Wow that was very insightful I'll try this out tommorrow.

To answer the other questions, Yeah I triple check all the positive and negative for each of the speakers and yes I'm using an after market harness from ebay :3_devil_w

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Rigorous1 said:
Wow that was very insightful I'll try this out tommorrow.

To answer the other questions, Yeah I triple check all the positive and negative for each of the speakers and yes I'm using an after market harness from ebay :3_devil_w
that aftermarket harness may be your issue.. i used one also and i got no sound from my right front and rear speaker.. i tried EVERYTHING then i got pissed and just hard wired the damn thing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
pics added please help!

BlackT16 said:

Ok so I found that pink wire (circled above) you were talking about, but it has a black stripe and that is in position #6 which, according to the wiring harness guide in this forum, is for illumination (-) negative.

In the picture below it is connected to the the orange with black stripe (in the picture its the one sticking up) in my ebay wiring harness, which has no connection to my new stereo (non-existent).

My question is where am I supposed to hook up the pink wire to?

Something seems wrong here because you say that is for the stock amp power and the wire harness guide says that's for the illumination (-). Also, as you can see from the pic I have no connection there because I have no more wires to connect that to. If you look at the wires for the new stereo I have 13 wires:
11 of which are connected
- 8 for the stereo speakers (4 speakers that have + and - ) - all color connected from stereo harness to ebay harness (so white to white, white stripe to white stripe, green to green, etc.)
- 1 yellow constant power - goes to position #16 as stated in the wiring guide
- 1 red ACC - goes to position #7
- 1 orange with white stripe illumination (+) - goes to position #15

2 are not connected:
- blue (remote lead of other equipment or power antenna) - goes to position #1, but I didn't connect because the tib doesn't have power antenna
- black (ground) - goes to position #8 (cut because I've grounded it to the chassis, then cut it again - based on post #2 here)

So this leaves me with 3 questions:
1) who is right? is position #6 for illumination (-) or for stock amp?
2) if you are right and this is for stock amp then where do I connect it to?
3) In the above wiring guide and I posted it here that the stock connector has a wire in position #12 (in the first picture its white with orange stripe) that is for "amp remote". What is this for? In the picture below of my ebay harness, you can see that I have no pin there:

Thanks for reading if you've made it this far.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I can't believe nobody has found your issue yet. Your problem is that your harness does not have a remote turn on lead, so basically your stock amp doesn't know when to come on or off. So what you basically need to do is 1) buy a new harness with a pin in the place of hte remote turn on, or 2) cut the remote turn on wire off the stock harness and either wire it to a ignition switched power source or a constant 12v source with a switch of some sort in there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ohyaa69 said:
I can't believe nobody has found your issue yet. Your problem is that your harness does not have a remote turn on lead, so basically your stock amp doesn't know when to come on or off. So what you basically need to do is 1) buy a new harness with a pin in the place of hte remote turn on, or 2) cut the remote turn on wire off the stock harness and either wire it to a ignition switched power source or a constant 12v source with a switch of some sort in there.
yep that was da same issue i had and all i had to do was connect the remote wire. I felt so stupid

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ohyaa69 said:
So the #12 connection for the (amp remote) is what I need connected right?

If so can I just solder it to the red ACC wire? I think the red ACC wire is hooked up to the ignition. Or would there be a problem with having 2 wires connected in position #7?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ohyaa69 said:
Or what you can do now that I think about it is that take the remote turn on wire from your HU which should be a bare wire and just cut the remote turn on from the factory harness and solder or crimp them together
Wait, I'm a bit confused, do you mean cut the white with orange stripe lead (position #12 for amp remote) from the stock harness (male) and solder that with my blue with white stripe wire? The one that is labeled to remote lead of other equipment or power antenna?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Take your amp turn on lead from your radio and connect it to the white w/orange stripe wire. That should handle the issue! Since you are missing a wire for that, try pulling out one of your unused wires (dimmer, should be orange, don't really need that) and plug it into that spot on the connector. Then hook up the remote turn on from the radio to that wire. Everything should work then! L8R

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
kartunez said:
Take your amp turn on lead from your radio and connect it to the white w/orange stripe wire. That should handle the issue! Since you are missing a wire for that, try pulling out one of your unused wires (dimmer, should be orange, don't really need that) and plug it into that spot on the connector. Then hook up the remote turn on from the radio to that wire. Everything should work then! L8R
Hrm. Well I just want to clarify that I should use the blue with white stripe wire (which the manual says "to the remote lead of other equipment or power antenna") in order to connect to the amp remote in position #12.

In the picture with the 3 red circles those are the wires that I have connected to the new stereo, so these are the only wires I have to use. I'm a little gun shy to pull the trigger on using the blue with white stripe because I originally thought it was for power antenna only and because the instructions on my stereo say max 200 mA for that blue w/ white wire.

If someone gives me an amen to using the blue wire then I'll do it.
or do you think I should cut the amp remote lead from the stock harness (male) and just solder that to the ACC lead (red), so there are 2 leads hooked up on the stock harness that go to the read ACC lead on my stereo.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts