Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend's 03 Tib wobbles down the road doing anything over 60. She has no cornering ability anymore, and every time she hits a bump the damn thing kicks out. She's put new tires on it and I've looked at all the suspension. Nothing is bent or broken. the only thing I can find is that you can push the rear sway bar from side to side. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal but I need some more opinions before I start throwing money into this. I'm assuming new bushings and an endlink kit can fix this problem? What do you guys think?

Also her driver's door is all messed up so if anybody has a door laying around make me an offer haha.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Make sure you check you lug nuts from the last time you had your tires changed....they might not have tightened them all the way, or they have vibrated loose.

·
Registered
514 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ Also (this might sound stupid) check tire pressure. If they are inflated too much along with sway bar, lug nuts, etc. that will cause it to bouce back n' forth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, I've already checked tire pressure and I double checked the lugs today. It's all good. A couple weeks ago we were driving down the road and I'm hearing this noise. I'm like Kelly, you've got a flat tire, no wonder you have no handling. She keeps saying she doesn't blah blah. finally she pulled over cuz she had to pee and she sat there balling for 15 minutes lol. Wasn't the problem though, damnit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i say its ur bearing, i ****ed my car up and ever since then it sounds like my right rear tire is flat but i know its just the bearing...and i know its bad but ive put like 2k miles on that bad bearing!

·
Banned
434 Posts
yea check to see if the endlinks are broken or maybe one of the tabs on the struts are broken.

are there any mods on the car?

when you checked the tire pressure what was it at?

an alignment with more toe in on the rear might help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the endlinks aren't broken, neither are the tabs on the struts. They don't look bent either unless if it's so slight. The only thing I noticed is it's very easy to push the sway bar side to side. I haven't really checked the bearings. If you raise the car up and you can wobble the tire some the bearings are bad right? If it's tight they're good? I can't remember but I think the right rear at least is tight. I haven't checked the left. And tire pressure was about 32psi in each tire. I'm not sure what the ideal is for the tiburon but that's about average if I'm right. She used to have it at the max and told me one of the tires was low, so I checked it and it was around 40 so I let air out of all four to about 32 a while back. She's been in a couple of accidents too, she sideswiped a car while doing 100 some. She hit a gaurd rail on the front end, the rear didn't hit though. And the only mods is a CAI and a cat-back exhaust which is rusted apart and fell off lol. I have a used SSA on the way though. (She has MANY problems but I'm just starting work on it and trying to prioritize the list, this is one of the top few) I'm supposed to have a new sway-bar bushing kit on the way from KSPEC but it's been two weeks exactly and I haven't heard or seen anything from them. I'm about to contact them to see what's up. I want to replace the endlinks too for safe measure and since they aren't too expensive. She has 136,000+ miles on the car.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
99 Posts
:2_idea:If you have wheel bearings that are failing, you won't even need to jack up the car.

Just grab the wheel firmly (at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock) and shake it. Push against it and pull on it vigorously (relative to you). If you do it right, a bystander should think you're trying to hump your tire.

If the wheel moves or makes popping noises, your bearings are toast (or at least on their way to becoming toast).

Also check your alignment. If the car has been in an accident, the alignment may be really screwed up. It sounds to me like the car has too much toe-in on one end of the car, and too much toe-out on another corner.

:2_idea:Check the top strut bolts (where the strut mounts to the strut tower). Make sure they're tight and torqued down. During the side-swipe, they may have bent the strut tower or augered the holes into slots. This would explain why everything is tight but the sway bar is still capable of moving around easily.

:2_exclaimAlso, consider that what you're feeling may be coming from the rear of the car, but the rear might just be reacting to what the front end is doing... i.e. something is screwed up at the front where she hit the gaurd rail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I've taken a quick look at the front end too and nothing seemed bent or broken. I haven't checked the bearings though. alignment sounds like it's the culprit at this point. next time I see her I'll check the bearings on all four and check the bolts on top of the strut. Thanks guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts