Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, read the sig for vehicle info.

So this past weekend i'm driving home and after taking a right turn, using the turn signal, the signal switch returned center and the clicking stopped as it should, but green dash signal light as well as the right front and rear amber turn signal lights remained "stuck" in the on position.

So I tried to "unstick" the signal lights by turning the right turn signal on again and waiting and now I noticed the "clicking" speed is twice as fast, kind of like when a bulb burns out on some older cars but no bulbs are out. I did manage to "unstick" it once using this technique but the after the next right turn, it got stuck again.

When "stuck" on (only the bulbs on right) I can still properly operate the left signals just fine, normal flash speed and the hazards work too (obviously the rights don't flash, just stuck on, really bright).

Bad news is, I have to unhook the battery as the amber lights on the front/rear right stay light even with the car off, or else the battery will likely drain dead.

So i'm leaning toward the turn signal switch on the steering column. This car has never given me any electrical issues before and this is the first time it's happened. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has any other suggestions for a solution other than the signal switch.

Also has anyone successfully removed the signal switch before? I'm hoping it's modular and easy. Maybe I can just clean the contacts (if any). I plan on hitting up HMA serivce to see if it's simple. Maybe if I can unplug the signal switch it will all return to normal (indicating a bad switch). I dunno. Let me know what yall think.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Could be the signal swtich... could be the BCM.....Hope for the signal switch!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
BCM, covered under warranty. If not it'll run ya about $1,000 - $1,300 depending on dealership. Just had mine swapped out by my dealer covered under warranty.

and the fix isn't a switch, it's a relay. somewhat easy to do it your self. Any good solderer could get it all done from start to finish in about a half hour.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I checked out the DIY.

My car as 80k+ miles so def. not under warranty.

But even if it was, I can do this job myself. I'm an electronics tech, so soldering is stuff I do in my sleep.

And that DIY is among the best DIY's i've seen for anything yet! Props to Optimummind!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Glad we could help ya out! Nothing worse than spending $700+ for a new BCM.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad we could help ya out! Nothing worse than spending $700+ for a new BCM.
Yeah, no kidding! But even if this $3.93 relay I ordered from Mouser doesn't fix the issue, a very close friend of mine runs a slavage yard which has a few Tibs lurking around so I could probably snag a slightly used BCM for whatever alcoholic beverage he feels like drinking that day. haha.

So in the mean time, i'm stuck driving my 93 Civic hatch. at least it's an Si so it has a cool sunroof. haha. Poor bastard needs a paint job though...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
why? just do what I did... Pull the fuse and use hand signals when you turn! That is, while you try to get it fixed anyway! lol

·
Registered
894 Posts
why? just do what I did... Pull the fuse and use hand signals when you turn! That is, while you try to get it fixed anyway! lol
LOL I did almost the same thing. Left blinker was going for me so I just disconnected both the front and back lights. Hand signal for left turns and lights for right turns for 2 weeks waiting for the relay to show up from Mouser. :3_winkthu

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Now pulling the BCM out... will that require a Key Fob reprogram or does the coding stay even without battery power?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Now pulling the BCM out... will that require a Key Fob reprogram or does the coding stay even without battery power?
If you get a new BCM then you need to get a new key fob. But if you are just doing the DIY and replacing the relay, then the fob will still work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That relay from mouser should work I did mine when I first got my car. the dealership wanted about $1,200...I did it my self for about less than $10.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ok so I know this is going to sound extremely idiotic. Mine did that exact thing about eight months ago. I couldn't figure it out. well a buddy of mine grabbed the turn signal assembly and flipped it back and forth from left to right signal really fast. Freaked me right the Fu#K out. But it worked, shut the signal off and both signals still function like nothing ever happend. It was either that or a new switch. Try it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
wow the same exact thing happened to me a couple months back. right signal and all. I nearly crapped myself cuz I thought It had something to do with the hids I just installed :( but after two hot dogs and a soda later, I just kept wiggling the signal switch and it somehow turned off :D lol hope yours fixes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts