Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I'm tired of searching so I'm just gonna post.

Anybody out there seen this CEL and if so, how did you fix it short of taking it to the dealer. The creep that did the AutoZone OBD scan didn't let me write down the entire description. He must have been having a bad day cuz he couldn't even find the plug under my dash. I had to show him.

PO153 (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
2 sensor CKT Slow Response.....that's all I got

Current situation: Came on on the 30th. We just had a soaking rain so car has been in the rain a lot lately.. I/H/E/no cat with the headers put on within 2 months. Checked CAI connection to MAF and its plenty loose. Oil needs changing and air filter needs cleaning. There is a slight odor of engine coolant when you pop the hood, however....this is a new development as of 2 weeks ago.

Thanks!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well...Bank 2 Sensor 1 is refering to the oxygen sensors...so in an ultimate short answer, replace the proper O2 sensor.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^^^ and that proper sensor would be....where exactly?

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
slow response means slow oscillation. how many miles do you have on ur car? sounds like the O2s are carbon coated. you have two options. 1. take out both primary O2s and clean them 2. replace both primary O2s at a cost of 108 dollars each from hyundai.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 42K miles on the car. The primaries are the ones on the upper part of the headers themselves, correct?

suggestions on what i should clean them with and/or how? I thought these sensors were delicate like a MAF...was I wrong in thinking that? Me think I would like to attempt to clean them before just replacing them.

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
yes, the primary ones are the ones higher up. i am not sure what to clean that carbon with. i have heard bad stuff about just about anything. crc maf cleaner would probably be a decent choice though.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Im actually getting a simmilar code on my 4 cyl. I will try this as well.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bump for more opinions or experience with this particular CEL

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
your slight oder of engin coolant comment in the first post triggered a thought.
My headgasket went about a week ago and it coated my #1 spark plug in a sort of red deposit from the coolant burning. i would assume the same thing would happen to your primary and possibly 2ndary o2 sensors. ever since my head gasket my cel has been comming on when it never would before.....perhaps the 2 are linked. i would DEFFINATLY clean your O2 sensors and perhaps change your spark plugs to see if you've got any strange deposit's.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
before ya do anything there's a TSB on the O2 sensor concerns and it requires ECU reprograming to correct I would highly recommend you check that out first ....because it would truly suck to repace those parts only to find out that's all it would take

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
FstrTib said:
before ya do anything there's a TSB on the O2 sensor concerns and it requires ECU reprograming to correct I would highly recommend you check that out first ....because it would truly suck to repace those parts only to find out that's all it would take

first i ever heard of such a TSB..... u have a link?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have my ECU reprogrammed or anything (like Mafterburner, REAL ECU, etc.) so I'm not worried about that right now. But if I did have either one of these, would it matter if the ECU had to be reprogrammed?

PLUS.....I am guessing this is a dealership thing? It's gotta go back there to get this ECU reprogramming done, right??

·
Registered
12 Posts
1. yes you have to go to the dealership to get the ECU reprogrammed, but if it's still under warranty the reflash shouldn't cost you anything and should only take 30 min at the most.

2. a slow response could simply be from the connector on the o2 sensor getting moist/wet/corroded. since it happened after a soaking rain, i would simply disconnect the connector, check it out, and dry and/or clean it as necessary.

3. o2 sensors operate at 600 degrees or more, so i highly doubt it would have any deposits on it. also, o2 sensors don't usually go out; it ends up being something else. if the sensor is bad, there won't be any voltage coming from it at all and there would probably be some other DTC from that.

4. the coolant smell could be any number of things, but compression tests on each cylinder will reveal a blown headgasket.

i'm going to school to be a mechanic, so while i'm no expert i basically know what i'm doing. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Just got my car back from the dealership. replaced the head gasket and the cel is gone. for now at least. i never got a chance to check the code while the head gasket was blown but i had a simmilar one just before it went. im not saying you have a blown headgasket. just something to think about. My code was probably comming up something else when my head gasket went because i was having idle issues too.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I'm def. taking it to the dealer to get the Coolant smell checked out. I'll get them to check the CEL also and give them what info I already have. I just don't want a runaround from the dealer. I haven't been to the local dealer here in Hickory area so I don't know if they will be buttholes about mods or not. I sure hope not! I'll give an update later if I can....I'll try to go today.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I have a blown headgasket, there will be water in my oil right?? Please let me know....this is important! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The biggest sign of a blown head gasket is DRAMATIC loss of coolant. what happens is the combustion pressure leaks into the coolant jacket and displaces your coolant and pushes it over the overflow cap. then suddenly yer low on coolant. its highly unlikely you've got a blown head gasket, the dealership said our cars were not know for such things. but what i meant was....sometimes the cel's can be caused by things happening upstream that you normally would not associate with that particular code.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I've got a 2PM appt. at the dealership so we are gonna find out.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE: Took to the dealer. The O2 sensor was seized in the front upper header. At first they said, "well since you have aftermarket headers, we're NOT supposed to blah, blah, blah....and besides, the sensor is stuck inside the bunghole and seized up. They said that if they could get it out, then they would replace it under warranty. So I asked him to just heat it up a little and they got it out. Replaced for no charge!

They also put new clamps on my hoses as apparently that is where the coolant smell was coming from.

problem solved!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts