Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got the sub-frame dropped, the tranny disconnected, and checked 4x now that all the bolts around the bell housing are removed (even the hidden on in the upper back). I did like plash said and took off the bar that attaches to the slave cylinder, and jiggled the rod to release the throwout bearing. When I attempt to separate the engine and tranny, the bottom gets a big gap, but the top is still together. I have not missed any bolts, so I'm assumimg the TOB must be stuck. Anyone know how I can get these apart?

UPDATE: Got the tranny out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
remove the 14mm nut and the clutch release arm that goes to the slave cyl. this will let the fork slide out from behind the bearing

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
remove the 14mm nut and the clutch release arm that goes to the slave cyl. this will let the fork slide out from behind the bearing

Thanks, but I did that at 1:30 this afternoon. I lined the bottom back up, and pulled it back to gether, then released it again, and the tranny about fell in my lap. It was binding somewhere.

Here's the old. It was still grabbing good up to 4th gear, but slipped in 4th & 5th.

Got the HY5 in (it fit), and I'll torque it tomorrow. Its gonna' suck trying to get the tranny back up and on by myself even with the floor jack, and I dread re-mounting the sub-frame.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should be able to put a breaker bar on the crank pulley and wedge it to hold the flywheel so I can torque the flywheel T-55 bolts in? It's kinda' hard to do both.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I frk'n hate [email protected]&in this %# ^@%*. Started again at 7:30am on vacation time to try and get the tranny back up to the engine. It fell off the jack 4x, the 4th time I broke it's fall with my hand. Finally at noon, I just got the input shaft to line up and the trx mated up to the engine. I used the line up tool before bolting on the clutch cover, so I don't know why it's so difficult. ^#(* I miss working on Harleys. I know this is not a one person job, but no one's around to help. This SOB better work. I'm going back out to try to "pop" the TOB in with the lever. Just venting.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hey Bagpiper were do you live exactly ? I was going to work on mine this weekend but from the looks of it I wont. If Im not helping my friend change his clutch out on his 240sx depending onhow far away it is I can come over and help you.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Bagpiper were do you live exactly ? I was going to work on mine this weekend but from the looks of it I wont. If Im not helping my friend change his clutch out on his 240sx depending onhow far away it is I can come over and help you.
I'm on the downhill now man. I'm sure I heard the TOB seat in place. As soon as soon as I find the one missing trx bolt, I can start getting the sub-frame and mounts back together. I just hope this bastage works when I'm done. I'm still not sure how I'm going feel about this stage 4, but it's in there, and life goes on. I had too much vacation time, so I'm off today again, and hope to finish the thing up by tonight. I'd rather do headers again than this.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
yea, i changed the clutch in my car......it was a bittch.......as a matter of fact, i bought a clutch from someone on here, and he sold me a broken clutch, so the TOB would not stick....so I had to take it all apart again and buy another clutch and do it all over again....i feel your pain if you gotta do it twice

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, i changed the clutch in my car......it was a bittch.......as a matter of fact, i bought a clutch from someone on here, and he sold me a broken clutch, so the TOB would not stick....so I had to take it all apart again and buy another clutch and do it all over again....i feel your pain if you gotta do it twice
i feel your pain if you gotta do it twice
:m_BangHea

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Dude, you should have called me up...I dont know shyt about trannys, but I would have tried to help in any way I could.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Yo Orlean, I believe he lives in Deltona....about an hour and a half away from O-town.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm on the downhill now man. I'm sure I heard the TOB seat in place. As soon as soon as I find the one missing trx bolt, I can start getting the sub-frame and mounts back together. I just hope this bastage works when I'm done. I'm still not sure how I'm going feel about this stage 4, but it's in there, and life goes on. I had too much vacation time, so I'm off today again, and hope to finish the thing up by tonight. I'd rather do headers again than this.
I swear your garage has little gnomes that steal car parts.

:3_yummie:

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh well. I'm gonna' call it a day. I finally got the steering column hooked back up to the shaft, and the brakes bled. So if nothing else, I can steer and stop. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna re-install the front and rear motor mounts, exhaust, 3 qt's Royal Purple, put the battery and intake back in, torque the wheel lugs, and roll it out the garage, fire it up and hope it moves, stops, and steers. When people go to hell, do they spend eternity putting clutches in tiburons?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Oh well. I'm gonna' call it a day. I finally got the steering column hooked back up to the shaft, and the brakes bled. So if nothing else, I can steer and stop. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna re-install the front and rear motor mounts, exhaust, 3 qt's Royal Purple, put the battery and intake back in, torque the wheel lugs, and roll it out the garage, fire it up and hope it moves, stops, and steers. When people go to hell, do they spend eternity putting clutches in tiburons?
I actually think you only need 2 quarts royal purple, about 2.1 quarts. so, the guy who changed my clutch/fw used two bottles, and i still have one left over for the next tranny oil change.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually think you only need 2 quarts royal purple, about 2.1 quarts. so, the guy who changed my clutch/fw used two bottles, and i still have one left over for the next tranny oil change.
I just put about 2 & 3/4 quarts og RP in about 4 weeks agobefore I decided to install a new clutch. That's how much it took fully drained. I have a 5spd. Maybe a 6spd holds less/more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts