Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My names aly and i need some help desperately.

I have a 2006 tiburon.......got a new engine installed a couple of months ago. I wanted to get the mileage reduced so i asked the mechanic to do so. It reset everything but the mileage doesn't work at all now. He says the file got corrupted, tried many other files but nothing seems to work. PLEASE HELP !!!!

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
217 Posts
Lowering the mileage on the odometer? If so, that's illegal in most jurisdictions. The odometer is stored in the gauge cluster and can only be changed by a certified Hyundai dealer to match the mileage of the chassis. In the rare situation where a new or used cluster is installed to replace a failed unit, Hyundai can modify the mileage but only to match the chassis. This is never reset for a new engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chase,

Its not illegal here if a new engine is installed. There are only 12 tiburons here and spare parts are not available. The odometer is not working now, it completely reset. I have no idea what to do anymore. Any suggestions ?? I think i need an odometer file but in kms not miles.

·
Registered
362 Posts
First, I don't see why would anyone be "desperate" to change their odometer unless you are trying to sell it and planning to be dishonest to the buyer.
after all, even if the engine is new, every other part in the car is still as worn as the original mileage.
If you have the paper work for the engine change, then keep them handy, and show the buyer that the engine has indeed been replace on such date.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
217 Posts
The cluster has protections to prevent modification. It's likely that you mechanic tripped the tamper protection on it. In the 18+ years that this forum has been active I do not recall anyone tampering with their cluster. It's highly unlikely anyone has a file to flash your cluster with.

I don't have a spare cluster to test this on. Have you tried looking on Ebay or online retailers? I understand that your country may not have alot of options as far as shipping goes so it may be more difficult.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, I don't see why would anyone be "desperate" to change their odometer unless you are trying to sell it and planning to be dishonest to the buyer.
after all, even if the engine is new, every other part in the car is still as worn as the original mileage.
If you have the paper work for the engine change, then keep them handy, and show the buyer that the engine has indeed been replace on such date.
Im not selling my car ...... im never selling my car ..... i changed the engine, the entire suspension aswell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cluster has protections to prevent modification. It's likely that you mechanic tripped the tamper protection on it. In the 18+ years that this forum has been active I do not recall anyone tampering with their cluster. It's highly unlikely anyone has a file to flash your cluster with.

I don't have a spare cluster to test this on. Have you tried looking on Ebay or online retailers? I understand that your country may not have alot of options as far as shipping goes so it may be more difficult.
I am going to take the car to another guy next week. Lets see what he says otherwise I'll have to get another cluster iInstalled or maybe modify the current one.

·
Administrator
8,948 Posts
I'm not selling my car ...... I'm never selling my car ..... I changed the engine, the entire suspension as well.
So, if you're not planning to sell the car, why change the ODO? Just make a note in your logbook/log sheet?

Reactions: OmarAta

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, in my situation, I have a 1999 Prelude SH that i dumped $20k into and it got stolen from me in 2009. The chassis was recovered about a week later. There is a very long story behind all of that, but ultimately, I got the chassis back, and half my motor. So now ive been rebuilding it from the ground up since. Ive already spent another $20k on it from recovery, and about a month ago, just dumped another $10k on a fully built motor..... again. Seeing as how ive had to replace the cluster on it from the theft, ive reset the new cluster to 000000 since its mechanical and i dont have the old mileage anyways. I probably would have done it like that anyways though as this is basically a new vehicle from the ground up except for the unibody.

Of course, i couldnt sell this car for what i have in it anyways if i wanted to. Its a salvage title now because of the theft too, so mileage wouldnt matter even so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly my thought 👍🏼
I get the oil and filter changed after every 3000 kms ...... i have no account of the mileage anymore plus i want everything in my car working ...... lol are you guys going to give me advice/suggestions or are you going to investigate what im going to do, whether im selling or not.........im not a criminal so please don't treat me like one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, in my situation, I have a 1999 Prelude SH that i dumped $20k into and it got stolen from me in 2009. The chassis was recovered about a week later. There is a very long story behind all of that, but ultimately, I got the chassis back, and half my motor. So now ive been rebuilding it from the ground up since. Ive already spent another $20k on it from recovery, and about a month ago, just dumped another $10k on a fully built motor..... again. Seeing as how ive had to replace the cluster on it from the theft, ive reset the new cluster to 000000 since its mechanical and i dont have the old mileage anyways. I probably would have done it like that anyways though as this is basically a new vehicle from the ground up except for the unibody.

Of course, i couldnt sell this car for what i have in it anyways if i wanted to. Its a salvage title now because of the theft too, so mileage wouldnt matter even so.
I have spent a lot on my car and no one will buy it at that price even if i wanted to sell it.
My problem is that the odometer doesn't work anymore. It reset to zero and is stuck at zero.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
217 Posts
My problem is that the odometer doesn't work anymore. It reset to zero and is stuck at zero.
This is the best we got here:

You'll have to send it to a professional to "recalibrate" it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the best we got here:

You'll have to send it to a professional to "recalibrate" it.
Thanks chase .... i think, i will have to get the cluster replaced.... found a few on ebay but shipping is a problem.
Anotyer option is to get the current one altered ..... digital odometer in the same cluster. I just want it to work .... thats all.

·
Registered
28 Posts

You put $30,000 into a Prelude SH?????????

I have a bridge you might be interested in…

1 - 18 of 18 Posts