Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya,

I pretty recently found myself in the possession of a 2003 Tiburon GT (v6 automatic). I've been putting work into it where I can, hoping to have more time to spend with the weather getting nicer.

The car was sitting around untouched outside for most of the past decade before I got it a few months ago so it took some work to get driveable -- any ideas of all the maintenance I should be going for with it would be appreciated. I'm pretty new to cars and kinda short on cash, but thankfully I'm not new to wrenching stuff and am pretty close with a mechanic so I think I'll be okay.

Thankfully it ran okay without too much work when I got it. I had to replace the battery and do some cleaning of the connections there, fix one of the brake lines, take out and clean up the IAC because it wasn't working, the purge solenoid was replaced but that one wasn't by me. Most of the other stuff I had to work on wasn't engine related so it's nothing I'm worried about.

First on the docket , now that I know it runs okay and have some stuff straightened out, I want to switch out the timing belt/water pump/tensioner. I've heard some pretty gnarly stuff about what happens if it isn't switched out regularly, and this car is running on 18 years and 85k miles and I have no idea if it was ever done. I've heard the Gates stuff is good, so the plan is to buy one of their kits in the coming days and install it whenever it gets here.

Mostly just thought I'd say hi and thank you guys for all the great resources you've got going on here, working on this thing has been a little daunting but absolutely everything's been documented with a ton of great information and explained ad nauseum, which is super awesome.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
425 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

It's concerning that the car sat for a decade. What was the reason it was parked so long? Damage to piston rings and valve train can occur after your first start up. I would inspect all rubber components and replace anything obviously worn or cracking. Things like belts and hoses. Some less obvious would be your brake caliper seals or transmission output seals. Wear items like brake caliper slide pins can seize up after sitting for so long. May have to replace brake components all around.

Make sure you buy a genuine Gates timing and water pump kit. Should cost you no less than $160 for a legit kit. There are counterfeit kits containing only a Gates belt but marketed as if every component is also Gates for under $100. Stay away from those kits on ebay or other market places. Cheap tensioners or idler bearings are a common fail point on less expensive kits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

The doors both got stuck (one had the lock stuck on and the other handle snapped off) so the only way to get into it was the trunk, and it was just left on the lawn until it was given to me.

I've driven the car a fair bit (a few hundred miles) and had no problems with the brakes after I fixed a hole near the RH rear wheel. I'll definitely open it up to take a look though if you think it might still need some checking.

I think most of the belts are okay (I do want to replace them but if I have no reason to believe they're an immediate failure point I'd like to wait a little bit to keep myself from going full broke 😅). Hoses are more of a concern that I'd like to take care of sooner rather than later.

The Gates kit is like $155 before shipping from RockAuto, I'll go with that. It's a little cheaper than you mentioned but I've heard lots of good things about RockAuto so I'll trust that they're a good place to buy it from. I'm real worried about the timing belt so the goal is to not need to drive it at all until I get it replaced, I feel like I've already pushed my luck enough with it lol.

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
425 Posts
Rockauto is a good source for parts. They do offer a legitimate Gates timing and water pump kit. Don't forget to apply the Rockauto coupon code posted in the vendors section of the forum. I would exercise extreme caution until the timing can be replaced. Age is the biggest killer. I've heard of belts lasting over 100k miles on daily drivers but then I've also heard of belts breaking at just over 60k miles on weekend warrior cars that spend most of their time parked in someone's driveway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts