Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 06 Tiburon SE, and Wanted to know what the proper way was to break it in? It has about 55 miles and I would like to know how fast i should be staying and is it bad to take it above 5000rpm for the first 1000 miles? Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Banned
248 Posts
you'll get mixed answers with this one....i ran my tib pretty hard at the beginning just to make sure the piston rings are nice and snug lol...but its up to you in the end whatever you feel comfortable with

·
Banned
248 Posts
05iontib said:
my uncle told me to stay under 55 and i never went into 5th gear for the first 1000 miles. I also changed my oil at 1000 miles. I guess my uncles smart cuz i have no problems and i got over 8000 miles on it already.
i did the same with the oil change...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ask your dealer what they recommend. Do what they tell you and there shouldn't be any problems.

Yes, mixed answers on this question for sure.

I would say drive it like you normally would. Don't go racing though. Not for a while.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ive always herd not to beat on it and get an oil change like at 1000 miles to make sure there isent any shavings or crap in the engine still. As for the gearing that really dosent make sense unless it was the wrong gear to be in at the time. I dono i could be wrong about that. Whats ur reasoning 05iontib?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Carrera1984 said:
Ive always herd not to beat on it and get an oil change like at 1000 miles to make sure there isent any shavings or crap in the engine still. As for the gearing that really dosent make sense unless it was the wrong gear to be in at the time. I dono i could be wrong about that. Whats ur reasoning 05iontib?
I was told to stay at or under 55 as well. - By my old man.

Don't know about the 5 gear... would that also relate to 6 in the 6 speed or 5 and 6?

·
Registered
486 Posts
this is an interesting topic...
there's a bunch of people that will tell you to run it hard as HELL and change the oil at 1000-1500 miles, while usually the dealer and the company will tell you to run it light and that it needs a "break-in"...

the other day i was at the dealership and i talked to some salesperson while my car was getting an oil change and we ended up talking about "break in period"... he's pretty knowledgeable about cars and used to race big-block V8s, but anyways, he said the break in period is all BS... that the hyundai parts people tell you to go slow because then in the long run it will wear your engine down if (mainly) the piston rings aren't broken in HARD. He said they tell you to do that because then of course, they make money by doing more maintenance work.

oh, and i ran the car pretty hard when i first got it... it's IMPOSSIBLE in my opinion not to... especially with the 6 speed and the short gears... and i cahnged the oil at about 1500 miles. you want to change the oil early if you break it in hard because there are little metal particles in the oil from the piston rings and other parts that "break-in"... and it's good to get that oil out.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Mixed answers about this one. From various articles of what i read, you want to punch it at least once. However chances are the person before you floor it several times during the test drive. Then baby it until 1000 and do a oil change, although with the normal 3000 one.

Myself I punched it several times and did the normal 3000k. Been doing synethic every 3000 since and havent had a problem-34k so far. There are fairly heavily modded tibs with high mileage and no problems, such as malogus. Just keep maintaining it well

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow did not think that this post was going to get alot of replies but i thank all of you for that. I never really thought of changing the oil after 1000 miles. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts