Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my car doesn't come with a sub, and I really want one. I'm going to go ahead and get one. I was going to use the stock sub (which there isn't one on an 06 SE) to hold me over till I get enough money to buy an extreme system upgrade, but now I am forced to get something else to hold me over. Thus, I am going to buy a sub and possibly an amp.

I can't really decide on what to do though. Since I'm going to be getting a better system later and I don't want to spend much money. I was thinking on getting a 12" RF Kicker (which will be used for my final system) and an RF amp. The amp I think would prob be 1200 watt mono since I want to use this for my final system too.

Any tips or ideas of what I should do? Would it be a good idea to go about what my plan is. Or should I do something else. Also how should I wire this stuff. I'm new to this and I don't really want someone else to do it, but I wouldn't mind that much anyway since this might be out of my league to do. Please tell me your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Well, if you actually want to play your sub, you need to buy an amp. If you're just gonna be upgrading later, why waste money on something now that you're just going to replace? My tips are to not buy RF. Also, replace the head unit before getting the subs.

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
I disagree with Cheeser, I say def get a Rockford Fosgate amplifier. They make good subs too, however I like Alpine also. Keep in mind RF amps pushing that much RMS power, are going to be expensive, so shop around.

Don't get an amp that will overpower the sub, that would also be a waste, cause you won't have a sub...Just save up, and get what you want with the right matching specs the first time, and not deal with half-assing it. You won't be sorry, I promise.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhhh any ideas? So what should I put together If I'm going with a 12 and an amp? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also is one 12 good or not. Would it be fine and heat with every beat or should I get 2

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some more research and need to ask which is better: Kicker or RF Punch subs. Also whats the deal with the 4 ohm and 2 ohm( I don't understand what this means. Resistance. But what the heck) Also. I think the best subs without going into power subs are the Kicker comp 12's and the RF Punch Stage 3 12's. Am I right? I really don't know much....need help.

·
Sam:Moderator of the Dead
2,220 Posts
LoL, I have one twelve...and it will outbeat most dual 12s and 15s...so yeah, one 12 will work good. If you have the money, I suggest the Power line subs from RF...I have one T1, 12 and let me tell you....its damn surprising. I also have a Type RF, competition amp pushing it @ 750 watts(790) RMS. I love the setup. Those Type RF amps are kinda hard to come by though. The Power amps are good too, hell all of RF's amps are good.

·
Registered
337 Posts
"Do it once, do it right" ... save your money and make your first system your final system. you have a TON of options in car audio so start researching. RF and kicker are good brands, but you have plenty of other ones to pick from as well.

and this will help you understand the 2 ohm versus 4 ohm stuff-- http://www.bcae1.com/

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you want to go Gold and not have to buy a massive amp to help you get there, look at JL! It is money, but you can get a cleaner sound with less power than most subs in there class! Look at the 12W3 or 12W6 subs, and just pick a slash series amp to match. I actualy have a Kicker 300 watt amp and a JL 12W3 forsale ($220 shipped), if your intrested. You would just need to buy or build a box for it! L8R

·
Registered
653 Posts
Another important question is what are you going for? Sound quality or a loud boom that will make your vision blurry. Anybody can reccomend a system for you, but you are really the only person who knows what you want. And anybody with a system will more than likely show it off to you, so go out there and start listening. It's always a good idea to budget yourself, but remember, you get what you pay for. Avoid buying a temp. solution. Just save your money. You'll be glad you did. Sadly, I'm with Ceezer on this one, I have not been happy with RF's stuff lately (subs or amps). The quality is just not what it use to be.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok. i want awesome sound quality with some really amazing bass. Who do you guys think is better rf or alpine.....

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I always like seeing Kartunez in these threads because he usually always reccomends quality, as opposed to the crap a lot of others will talk about. B-dirty makes a point too. Do you actually want it to sound good or just be loud and shake stuff? Listen and see what you like. But if you have to go with either kicker or rf, go with kicker. They're pretty decent.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Thanks Speed, plus I always seem to have something to sell! :3_nosthum I would stay away from RF subs, they are just not what they use to be! I put two P2's in a custom F/G box under the rear seats of a Dodge extended cab for a guy I worked with, and they didn't hit for crap. I changed them out to 2 JL 10w3's and they sounded 10 times better! The RF amps are okay, but there is better for the same money. If you want loud and earth shaking go with a Kicker L7 15 in a slot port box. I work with a guy that has two of them in his ext. cab truck, both in slot port boxes, and 1000 watts going to each! All I can say is, [email protected]! If you want punchy, SPL type bass stick with dual 10's or 12's. Or if you want just a single sub, get one 12 in a sealed box, I think you will be happy. Just go to the local Audio shop and listen to the different setups if they have them.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok. thanks. uh since i had the money(and am upgrading later) I went ahead and bought a rf P3 and rf amp,box,wires. the amp pushes 1800 max and can't remember rms.....uhh yeah so I spent about a grand. Hope it sounds great. I personally know a guy who says that what I bought was a good combo and he has the same. He comments that it's the ****

1 - 14 of 14 Posts