Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well,
Today I got around to getting the cat installed. I tried taking the car to a muffler shop, but they only gave me a huge spill about the cat not being OBD-II compliant and that it would cause a CEL, and the car would only blow the internals of the cat out. So I asked how much would an OBD-II cat be from them and the guy quoted $499. Needless to say, I left.

I finally just took the car to the hobby shop, removed the test pipe and brought it and the cat along with me to a little hole in the wall muffler shop. The guy mocked the cat and flanges exactly to the specs of the test pipe. So now, I can go catless when I want.

But now that the cat is in... I don't have the buzz after 4K that was (ricerish) and bugged me a bit. It sounds awesome now.

I'll have a clip or two tomorrow.

A few camera phone pics while I was doing an oil change.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few years ago in a different car, guy wanted to sell me two cats, and that it was illegal to work on it since it didn't have them...went down the road to a different shop, they didn't even mention the word cat.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Which high flow cat did you go with?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Good choice! How much did it end up costing you for the weld and install?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
nice. being able to go back and forth with cat and no cat would be awsome

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
80 bucks is a little to much, it costed me $35 to get mine welded and installed
I'm in San Diego for one, everything costs more. Secondly, they didn't the mock up and welding without the car being there so I understand the extra cost.

damn 80 bucks, not bad, not bad....how much was the hi-flow
The Magnaflow cat was $57 shipped from eBay.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I picked up a Magnaflow from Summit for $53 & change last week. Stainless, but not a polished stainless.

The guys at a mechanic shop gave me this huge speil about how if i put that cat in with my DC Sport Headers, the headers being rust resistant, and the cat being slightly less rust resistant may cause exhaust leaks in the future... I dunno.

Sorry to gank your post, man!

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked up a Magnaflow from Summit for $53 & change last week. Stainless, but not a polished stainless.

The guys at a mechanic shop gave me this huge speil about how if i put that cat in with my DC Sport Headers, the headers being rust resistant, and the cat being slightly less rust resistant may cause exhaust leaks in the future... I dunno.

Sorry to gank your post, man!
He's full of sh*t. Just have flanges put on so that is removable. Go to another shop man. Just make sure that you get a good coat of paint on their welds. That is if they don't do it themselves.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Well,
Today I got around to getting the cat installed. I tried taking the car to a muffler shop, but they only gave me a huge spill about the cat not being OBD-II compliant and that it would cause a CEL, and the car would only blow the internals of the cat out. So I asked how much would an OBD-II cat be from them and the guy quoted $499. Needless to say, I left.

I finally just took the car to the hobby shop, removed the test pipe and brought it and the cat along with me to a little hole in the wall muffler shop. The guy mocked the cat and flanges exactly to the specs of the test pipe. So now, I can go catless when I want.

But now that the cat is in... I don't have the buzz after 4K that was (ricerish) and bugged me a bit. It sounds awesome now.

I'll have a clip or two tomorrow.
nice dude.. my cat is on the way, i need to get rid of this nasty buzz... im getting it if it get on it full throttle.. did you extend the o2 wires and have them fab up a post-cat o2 bung?

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nice dude.. my cat is on the way, i need to get rid of this nasty buzz... im getting it if it get on it full throttle.. did you extend the o2 wires and have them fab up a post-cat o2 bung?

I didn't need a post cat O2 bung. My O2s are plugged into the SSA headers and my wideband fills the fifth bung provided in the y-pipe. I don't have any CELs so I'm good to go for the moment.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
did you extend the o2 wires and have them fab up a post-cat o2 bung?
That's not needed. well on 03's anyway. we just need the O2's in the headers plugged in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.