Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my car home the other day when I looked down and noticed my temp gauge was pegged out. I pulled over, didn't notice any leak so I let it cool, and drove it home slowly stopping often to cool, since I wasn't far from my house. When I got home I checked and there wasn't a drop of coolant so once it cooled I added some and saw it was pouring out the bottom of my car. I Jacked up my car and it's coming down around my oil filter. I thought it was the water pump so I pulled everything to see it and the water pumps completely dry, I haven't pulled it off yet but the pulley or anything is dry. Now I'm sat here stuck on what it could be?? Idk what's in that area that could be leaking coolant, thanks for any help

·
Administrator
9,013 Posts
What year and model?
What engine?

Have someone pour water in while you look for leaks.......let us know.......

Where are you located? Was it suddenly really cold and the car sat (thinking freezeout plugs on block).?

Please fill in your general location (Florida, eastern Canada, whatever........we don't need a street address).
Fill in basics on the car, year, model, engine, trans, mods.......this can go into your signature so we don't have to keep asking, you don't have to keep replying.

Look at my sig (bottom of my posts), sorta a guideline on what to post.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Or another common problem, which I had on mine, is the clamp that goes on the bottom hose where it goes into the rad gets rusty and looses it's grip. I just put a new ss clamp on and it solved it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What year and model?
What engine?

Have someone pour water in while you look for leaks.......let us know.......

Where are you located? Was it suddenly really cold and the car sat (thinking freezeout plugs on block).?

Please fill in your general location (Florida, eastern Canada, whatever........we don't need a street address).
Fill in basics on the car, year, model, engine, trans, mods.......this can go into your signature so we don't have to keep asking, you don't have to keep replying.

Look at my sig (bottom of my posts), sorta a guideline on what to post.
Will do sorry! It's a 2003 GT and I'm in North Carolina and the weather had actually started warming up when it happened

UPDATE: We moved the ac out of the way and it's hard to explain but there's almost like a weep hole behind the ac that it's coming out of, but it's not the weep hole on the water pump and it's also not the big freeze plug there cause we found that one and it wasn't busted. We had someone come look at it and they said it wasn't the head gasket (THANK GOD) but it is probably some kinda gasket so now we're gonna pull off the water pump and see if that gasket is blown and running down out that hole

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a coolant leak problem as well. I'm not sure from where though, I have not seen any puddles under my car or sign of leakage, but for some reason my coolant reservoir goes empty every 2 weeks or so and i just keep adding fluid and looking for leaks. No apparent leaks at all.

·
Administrator
9,013 Posts
I have a coolant leak problem as well. I'm not sure from where though, I have not seen any puddles under my car or sign of leakage, but for some reason my coolant reservoir goes empty every 2 weeks or so and i just keep adding fluid and looking for leaks. No apparent leaks at all.
Cooling system pressure tester is a good way to check. Everything is cool and makes it safer to bend hose connections and look around for leaks.
The radiator end tanks can age and leak, if you still run the OEM hose spring clamps they can leak (one normal leak is right over the trans under the thermostat), etc.

Reactions: Kevster

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cooling system pressure tester is a good way to check. Everything is cool and makes it safer to bend hose connections and look around for leaks.
The radiator end tanks can age and leak, if you still run the OEM hose spring clamps they can leak (one normal leak is right over the trans under the thermostat), etc.
I will look into this, Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too have a similar issue with a leak. It’s hare to see. So, I took a photo. Maybe this will help. Anyone recognize this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bBaPUrDYRKmk3Zn38

·
Registered
138 Posts
I too have a similar issue with a leak. It’s hare to see. So, I took a photo. Maybe this will help. Anyone recognize this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bBaPUrDYRKmk3Zn38
Judging by the looks of it, is that the oil filter in the bottom right corner, and the A/C compressor in the top right? If so, it looks like your water pump gasket is leaking like @dmdicks said. Depending on how mechanically-inclined you are, you can try taking off the timing belt covers to see. There are a few DIY threads on here depending on which engine you have.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's common for the plastic top of the radiator to form cracks, so try check there.
What he said. I kept losing coolant with no visible leaks. Finally brought it to the dealer and he found a hairline crack at the top of the radiator--which is plastic. The car was leaking invisible steam. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that is your problem too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was driving my car home the other day when I looked down and noticed my temp gauge was pegged out. I pulled over, didn't notice any leak so I let it cool, and drove it home slowly stopping often to cool, since I wasn't far from my house. When I got home I checked and there wasn't a drop of coolant so once it cooled I added some and saw it was pouring out the bottom of my car. I Jacked up my car and it's coming down around my oil filter. I thought it was the water pump so I pulled everything to see it and the water pumps completely dry, I haven't pulled it off yet but the pulley or anything is dry. Now I'm sat here stuck on what it could be?? Idk what's in that area that could be leaking coolant, thanks for any help
I am having the exact same problem with it running down and around my oil pan in my 03 GT. I, for the life of me, can’t spot where it coming from. If you figure out what’s happening to you’re please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with it running down and around my oil pan in my 03 GT. I, for the life of me, can’t spot where it coming from. If you figure out what’s happening to you’re please let me know. Thanks!
This thread is 3 years old and the answer was in it. Water pump weep hole comes out around the oil filter. If you eliminate every other possibility you need a new water pump. Most of us just replace it along with the timing belt every 60k miles anyway. Easy to do while you're in there doing the belt etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread is 3 years old and the answer was in it. Water pump weep hole comes out around the oil filter. If you eliminate every other possibility you need a new water pump. Most of us just replace it along with the timing belt every 60k miles anyway. Easy to do while you're in there doing the belt etc.
Thank you! I figured that out yesterday and picked up the parts for it. I have it almost all the way taken apart to the water pump and fingers crossed it works. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts