Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hmmm i wonder if i could gut my cats and hide my anti-foulers like chop them down or put washers in between the sensors, LOL im trying to stay as visually smog legal as possible yet keep my engine as healthy as well.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
GTea said:
Dude, just put some freakin headers on, when its time to smog, switch back. christ.
With a V6?? I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. For an I4 I could see it because those are an easy swap, but swapping out the headers for every emissions test (which I assume is yearly) is just not practical.

Another option is this... install the headers and weld on some type of "heat shield" that blocks the view of the headers from the tech. Maybe even use the stock heat shild on the stock headers.

THEN, have your STOCK cat flanged so you can swap it in and out easily from under the car, and (if you're worried about passing the test) you can even get a SECOND stock Cat and have flanges welded in and put that where the cat-back exhaust resonator are.

So, most of the time you'd run with your headers and maybe a Magnaflow cat and your Resonator. Come test-time, you jack up your car, unbolt the Magnaflow cat and bolt in your stock cat... then you move a little bit further back and unbolt the exhaust resonator and bold in your 2nd cat. Should take no more than 20 minutes. Run your car to get them both up to operating temperature and go do your emissions, get your sticker, come back home and reverse the process.

Here's my hack Microsoft Paint version of what I'm talking about.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
Holy crap... I had no idea California's emissions laws were so draconian

http://www.racingbeat.com/emissions.htm

Basically, even touching anything ahead of the resonator is putting you in violation... The only thing you can do is do your mods and try to find a "tuner friendly" inspection place.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
or you could take a more expensive unit , like perrin o2 simulator... :) it's electronic.. mess something with wires only

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
apkraven said:
or you could take a more expensive unit , like perrin o2 simulator... :) it's electronic.. mess something with wires only
I thought about those, someone with a wrx passed using just those!!! this guy i know running a 700whp wrx sti, has them and passed with no cats LOL that way i could gut my cats, and possibly pass if i hide the simulator down the line

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
yeah, i think so too. of paying fifty dollars or need to mess with headers once a while, i'd surely take the digital one..

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I may be missing the point here, but how would an O2 simulator change the outcome of a visual inspection?

If you can't pass a visual inspection, you can't pass smog; period.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have herd this works but not experienced it. You could gut your cat and bolt it back up...pretty much becomes a hollow can in the middle of your exhaust. For the o2 I have her to pull it out of the pipe and hang it somewhere out of view under the car and plug the hole(s). Your o2 will read clean air and your free to go (I forget who it was but a guy at the meet this month did this to his tib...he has a Ripp charger, if I hunt him down on here I will ask him about it). Again, just what I have herd. You will pass a visual and an o2 test...thats about it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PANAXRX said:
I have herd this works but not experienced it. You could gut your cat and bolt it back up...pretty much becomes a hollow can in the middle of your exhaust. For the o2 I have her to pull it out of the pipe and hang it somewhere out of view under the car and plug the hole(s). Your o2 will read clean air and your free to go (I forget who it was but a guy at the meet this month did this to his tib...he has a Ripp charger, if I hunt him down on here I will ask him about it). Again, just what I have herd. You will pass a visual and an o2 test...thats about it.
you guys are awesome i love this thread, giving me so many good ideas

·
Banned
642 Posts
PANAXRX said:
I think this only helps with older model 03's mine is a 03 but it has the 04 o2 sensors and i can not do that.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
by the way i have a 03 i4 coupe and it threw a сel in half an hour after taking out the secondary o2 plug.. now i have defoulers to back me up when i will be getting rid of n/a leftovers :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Or you can rip everything off and do a strait pipe from the headers back into the dual muffs and thats it...no sensors, nothing...deal with a little light on the dash. Look at it this way, it adds color to the interior of the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts