Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this is pi**in me off to no end. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this check engine light P0303. For those of you who don't know, and want to, about a month or so ago, I went to the Hyundai dealership to get my oil changed. While there, I asked the guy to check the plugs and make sure they were ok, just because I wanted to know. I was told the plugs were fine, got the oil checked and there I went.

A few days or so later, my check engine light came on (P0303), I went back, thinking it was something they did during the oil change that caused the CEL. I was then told that the plugs and wires needed to be changed. They charged me like 20 bucks to clear the code. I questionned why I was told they were fine the week before. The guy told me they were then, but now they're not. I thought that was a little strange, but hey, their the pro's right? So I change the plugs and wires myself, and bam light comes on again.

I go back to the dealership, yesterday, they check things over, and I'm told I didn't tighten the spark plug right on the 3rd cylinder, and that was causing the light. The guy tightens the plug, and charges me like 30 bucks to clear the code and tighten the plugs. Whatever that's fine as long as I'm good to go...

As I leave the dealership, like an hour after, the light comes back on, same code... WTF??? So I call the dealer and talk to the top serice advisor. He tells me to bring it in at 9:00 AM this morning and see him personally. So I do that, he gets his head Tiburon guy to look at it. He starts off by doing a compression test, everything is fine there. Then he swaps the plugs between cylinder 1 and 3, as he thinks it's the plug itself. I told him I don't think so, but he tells me to try it. He doesn't charge me, and let's me leave. I drive 5 minutes to get some lunch (As it's now like 11:30, and bam light comes on again. I check it and it's the same code. So I go back, and wait another few hours for them to swap out the injector on cylinder 3. He does that, goes for another long *** test drive, wastes half a gas tank in total during the day, and then tells me I'm good to go. No charge. I think finally, I'm all set. I leave, 1 minute after leaving, the light comes on again!!! Now I'm pi**ed!!!!

So I go back in there, only now it's like 2:30, and I don't want to wait around anymore, so I tell him the light is back on, but I will have to go back the next week. He tells me that they will have to run a diagnostic test on it, and I will be charged for it at 90 bucks an hour, even though my car is still under extended warranty. Whatever, I tell him I'll call him and I leave.

There's anohter Hyundai dealership in town, which is where I'm gonna go cuz I'm sick of this other dealer screwing me around. Personally I think it's either the coil causing my problem, or the sensor in the crankcase...

So my questions are: FIrstly, should I have to pay for diagnostic even though I have extended warranty?

And also, are both coils interchangeable, like can I swap them back and forth and see if the code follows the coil?

Any helps guys... please!!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
the coils only fit one way on the brackets. i don,t think you can swap them around. you might throw the firing sequence off. but than again when i had a similar code i found out cylinder 6 was fried.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
Take it to West Ottawa Hyundai on Richmond Rd.

They always treat my baby good, and they don't mind any mods you have. In fact, I spent a good hour talking shop with the mechanics there a few times.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly where it's going next week unless I come up with something first. It's so much closer to me than Pathway anyway, this all started cuz I was in Orleans and decided I should get my oil changed... Dammit

·
Registered
181 Posts
find the guy who originally checked your plugs and choke him like your'e wringing a damp rag, until he tells you what he did to your car. And next time, if it aint broke, dont try to fix it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol you read my mind!

Seriously, the plan right now is to have the other dealer fix it, and then, if I find out the problem had something to do with the other guy checking it, then I'll work from there. I'm almost at the point where I don't even care about saving the cash, but rahter I just want my car fixed properly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
assuming it is the injector wire, what difference in RPM will I notice when I touch it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Were you able to feel the misfire while driving?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
if u have the extended warrenty all u oay for i s gas, windshield wash and tires. as long as ur problems arent caused by any mods u have done that is. i have the 10-100k warrenty and when the car was stock...that was all i paid for.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I had that problem once...I changed my plugs and magically the check engine light went away. How long has it been since you changed them? It's definately an ignition problem.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I changed the plugs like last week. NGK iridiums went into it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny thing, got in the car and started it today, and the CEL disappeared. I'm hoping it stays off..

I haven't touched the car other than running some injector cleaner with my gas... That was only 20 km's ago, and the light went off on its own without me clearing it or anything...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm thinking it may be the sensor is bad. Wouldn't that eb the ultimate irony. Anyway. Take it to West Ottawa Hyundai or Bank Street Hyundai. They do good work. You shouldn't have to pay for anything if you have your warranty in tact. The only think I've ever heard of is that they will charge you $50 for putting the car in the garage and then if whatever the problem is ends up being warranty work they refund the $50. Don't et them jerk you around anymore.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm almost positive that it is a sensor, providing the light comes back on. It's the only thing that makes sense. If there was some actual problem, I would feel it while driving, since the car runs fine, it makes perfect sense that it's a sensor. I even told the guys at the dealership that, and their reply was: No, a sensor would give you a different code... I told them I looked into it and it would be the same, but whatever....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well,

after going to West Ottawa Hyundai, and having them deny my work because they would not honor my warranty (Coast to coast) even though the engine is still covered under Hyuindai factory warranty, I went to Bank Street Hyundai, and they found that I had a cracked intake gasket. I got it fixed this morning, and the vibration at idle is gone, so I think my problem is fixed. Covered under Factory warranty of course.

Now the original dealership is gonna get a piece of my mind...

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts