Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I know it's not extremely noticeable in the picture, but the finger print looking things around my door handle are actually really, really bad swirl marks. They're all over my car. When you look at it from the side when the light is hitting it, it looks like a bunch of ripples in my paint. It's that bad.

Last weekend, I took it to a detail shop and paid them a shitload of money to get all the swirls and scratches out for me. They spent 4 hours buffing it and waxing it, and as you can tell from the picture, didn't do **** other than make it really shiny. So apparently buffing it doesn't help, unless those guys just suck.

So please... What can I do to get that **** out? It drives me crazy every time I look at my car in the sun, and I would almost rather keep it dirty than clean to help keep them hidden. It pisses me off that I paid so much for those guys to do absolutely nothing, and I'm going to take it back to them and tell them to either do it again until it looks like it should, or give me my money back. Not to mention, I think they put a few chips in the paint, and there's a water spot looking thing on the right back fender that won't come off. They said it was there when I took it in, but I know for a fact it wasn't. It's pretty obvious, too.

I thought about buying a buffer of my own, but if those guys really did spend that long buffing the car, I doubt I could do any better of a job. What do I do?:3_steam:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you get $3000 of hail damage like me, i bet you wont care about the swirls so much. haha. seriously though, how did these so called professionals do their highly piad buff job? by hand or with a buffing wheel?
They used a high-speed buffer. They hand-waxed it after buffing it, though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
sounds like your awesome hyundai paint actually. If they used a true high speed buffer and it didnt take those out then its most likely the paint not the clearcoat. sounds like you need to look into a paint job.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you positive the swirls are in clear coat and not the paint?
No, I'm not sure. How can I tell?

And I've been wanting to get the car repainted, but I don't want to go the cheap route and get a $200 job that'll start chipping in 6 months. At the same time, however, I don't have $2,000 to put down for a good one.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
No, I'm not sure. How can I tell?

And I've been wanting to get the car repainted, but I don't want to go the cheap route and get a $200 job that'll start chipping in 6 months. At the same time, however, I don't have $2,000 to put down for a good one.
Why not get a cheap paint job for 200? Even if it only lasts 6 months, you can always change the color of your car when its time to repaint; and its better than dropping 2-5k on a paint job, and then having debris take chips out of it. I'd rather destroy a 200 paint job than a 2k paint job. lol.

just my oppinion.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Did you ask them to remove the swirl marks by stripping off a thin layer of clear coat? If you did and they actually stripped it off, your swirl marks are too deep. New paint job time.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you ask them to remove the swirl marks by stripping off a thin layer of clear coat? If you did and they actually stripped it off, your swirl marks are too deep. New paint job time.
No, I just took it to them, showed them what I wanted them to get out, and they said they'd take care of it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not get a cheap paint job for 200? Even if it only lasts 6 months, you can always change the color of your car when its time to repaint; and its better than dropping 2-5k on a paint job, and then having debris take chips out of it. I'd rather destroy a 200 paint job than a 2k paint job. lol.

just my oppinion.
Hmm, good point. :p

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
No, I just took it to them, showed them what I wanted them to get out, and they said they'd take care of it.
Run your fingers lightly over the swirl marks. Better yet, if you have calloused hands, get a female to do it. If you can feel them, they're too deep to remove.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then take it back to the detailers, tell them you're not satisfied with the job they did and tell them why. Don't take any b/s from them.
That was my plan. But last time, I think they put a few chips in the paint, so I don't really want them working on it again. And I'm willing to bet they'll give me the, "We can't give you a refund, but we'll redo it for you" deal.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
That was my plan. But last time, I think they put a few chips in the paint, so I don't really want them working on it again. And I'm willing to bet they'll give me the, "We can't give you a refund, but we'll redo it for you" deal.
It would shock me if you got a refund. Keep in mind that all you can do is try. If they say they're going to redo it, tell them they chipped your paint the last time and you've got timestamped pics of your tib for this time, to ensure they don't abuse her again.

·
Banned
1,952 Posts
spritz the area with some dish washing liquid and water. Wipe it clean and then try wet sanding. After that put a new coat of wax over it carefully with a orbital buffer.

If that doesn't work, take it to a body shop.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have the same thing on my passenger door, and it looks like finger prints. Obviously some bastid with grubby hands or something. I am hoping my box of 3M tricks will enable me to get it out. I am good with scratch removal, and I am quite confident I will manage to do it. Have you got some polish to try and have a go yourself.

NoS :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You want to know something? That's called "not-knowing-how-to-use-a-high-speed-buffer-properly" syndrome. This happens all the time when high-speed is done improperly, either through using the wrong compounds, bonnetts, technique, or a combination of the three.

A high-speed buffer, in theory, lightly heats the paint and completely smoothes out any imperfections when done properly. Unfortunately, the heating of the paint can quickly become deadly to the finish if not done with perfect technique, and if any bits of dirt get under that disc, say goodbye to your paint!

It looks like now it's going to need wool or something really abrasive at first to cut in, and then about three steps more of a lighter polish each time to smooth it down, but unless paint is actually missing and you can feel the scratches, it's perfectly saveable, but probably only by the same way the scratches were put there: a high speed. Don't even bother with a random-orbital in this case because it's beyond that point now.

I'd say look for another detailer, or have the same guys do it again. Take a lot of photos, because if it only gets worse, I'd take action against them. No reputable shop I know would EVER give the car back to the customer with the finish looking like that, no excuses. It looks terrible.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Apparantly you haven't been keeping up on other sections of the forum ...

Without going into to much detail - I think it's safe to say that this thread and quietly go away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts