Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so I have a few things laying around and I'm wondering how you think it will sound I have...

My headunit
Clarion DXZ865MP with touchscreen control
RMS Power Output 22 watts
Preamp Voltage 4 volts
Preamp Outputs 3 pair
Sub Preamp Outputs Yes
AUX Input Rear
Display Color Optimedia
Sound Shaping Type MagnaBassEX/ADF
Wireless Remote Yes
FM Sensitivity 9 dBf
CD Frequency Response 5-20kHz
CD Signal-to-Noise 100 dB

MB QUART DISCUS SERIES DKE 116

6.5" 2-WAY SPEAKER
Power 120W RMS
4 Ohm impedance
90db Sensitivity
40- 32.000Hz Frequency response
4.300Hz Crossover frequency
12dB/octave Crossover slope
0.52" Titanium tweeters
6.5" Polypropylene woofers

and for the rears

Polk Audio db Series db690
6x9 3-way speaker
power 100W RMS
4 Ohm impedance
93db Sensitivity
35-22,000 Hz Frequency response

I'm not sure what amp I will go for but any suggestions are more than welcome oh and I will be adding in two 12 inch subs with 500W RMS each. I will also need another amp for the subs so suggestions please
Thanks

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
for an amp, you will want something with ATLEAST 75RMS of good clean power. Id recommend the eclipse EA or XA amps. amazing amps. If you are wanting to go ebay, look for some older eclipse amps. They under-rate all of their amps so expect to actualyl get a little more than what it says. Personally I dont recommend using ebay or any site that sells products in an unauthorized fashion. Go to your local audio stores (bestbuy/walmart/circuit city are NOT considered local car audio stores) and look at their products. the longer you talk and become well liked to the salesmen, the more they might knock off the sticker price.

Eclipse,older MTX, focal, jbl, jl audio, pg areall great amps to look at.

·
Registered
843 Posts
the JBL amp is not a bad choice, but if i were to hook up that system in my car...i would be putting a lot more power to each speaker.

The MB Quart speakers are like most subs...happy with about 1.5x the RMS rating so if you can feed closer to 175 RMS to each of those...the will sound much better.
HOWEVER!
the polk db series speakers are rated a little high. give them 75-90watts to make those sound good.

IMO - run a separate amp for the fron speakers and a separate amp for the back.
And is there a reason why you are going with 2 12s? your system was looking real nice until you dropped in that.
2 12s with 1000 watts RMS will drown out ALL of the hard work you put into the rest of the car. throw a single 10 or 12 and 650 watts and you will be a lot happier, unless you are planning on listining to the rattles in your car more than the near $300 worth of speakers you just installed.

I only say things like this becase i have heard the lines "dude! i wanna get me 2 fi'deens" ...and i set them in my car and make them cry for a bit...then i tell them that if i can do that with 2 10s...then whay the f*** would you want 2 15s? the same goes with 2 12s in a car...not smart IMO, but if you wanna go deaf or like to listen to nothing but subs then go ahead. I just hate to see good systems ruined by too much bass. - and yes there is such a thing.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My buddy has the two 12's for cheap but I might not get them its not set or anything. I like decent bass so I might not run them. thanks for the good advice. any suggestions on some amps? I am also getting a custom amp rack made so a good lookin amp would help

·
Registered
843 Posts
I love the sound of these amps!
just dont look at the price that they have on their site(it is a bit high)
for your front door speakers
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/c300_2/
when i bouth my c300.2 i paid $125 for it at frys electronics.

for the tweeters in the "a"pillar and the back doors
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/c400_4/
Never used one in my own car, but have installed them in 2 others...had them running for over a year now and no complaints.

I like to brand match if I will be seeing them. These are beautigul amps and if you decide to go this route...i can set you up with a diagram as to how to run these.

i have a few more options...but this i feel is one of the most cost effective and best quality.
If you need to go a little less expensive...

Kenwood KAC series amps.
i dont have all of the spec sheets wth me, but i will post up some info later on tonight.

But i think that you can go with a set of amps similar to the polk amps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those are supposed to be some pretty high quality amp though and have you all checked the price tag...

...well, I can't post URL's yet, but lets just say that the price is right around $3K

:2_surpris

·
How do you change this?
2,294 Posts
,older MTX ..... great amps to look at.
Older MTX are trash....

I have the new MTX in a setup now with two 8500 10's and new matching MTX amp and it sounds good...damn good actually.

I was always a JL, Kicker, older Punch fan but MTX was trash back then. Now I rather MTX's new gear over both Punch and Kicker. JL has the W7 going for them but I rather MTX amps over JL amps.

Point is I never thought I would ever refer anyone to MTX because their old gear was sooooo nasty but their new stuff made me a huge fan. At least their high end stuff. I am sure their entry level is still junk. So if MTX crosses anyones mind make sure its the new products and for subs at least 5500 series or better.

And for those that rather look at cool comparisons

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/headtohead/index.cfm

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe you are refering to the MB Quart Discus series DTF169. The RMS power on those speakers is only 60 watts. The 140 watts is the peak wattage. I think you best option mention so far would be the JBL mention above. I will provide plenty of headroom for those speakers without overpowering them and then you can get a matching GTO1201.1 II to power some subs with.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Older MTX are trash....

I have the new MTX in a setup now with two 8500 10's and new matching MTX amp and it sounds good...damn good actually.

I was always a JL, Kicker, older Punch fan but MTX was trash back then. Now I rather MTX's new gear over both Punch and Kicker. JL has the W7 going for them but I rather MTX amps over JL amps.

Point is I never thought I would ever refer anyone to MTX because their old gear was sooooo nasty but their new stuff made me a huge fan. At least their high end stuff. I am sure their entry level is still junk. So if MTX crosses anyones mind make sure its the new products and for subs at least 5500 series or better.

And for those that rather look at cool comparisons

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/headtohead/index.cfm

um.....wow. The old school MTX stuff is some of the most reliable amps to date. The newest MTX line are trash. they have tons of reliability issues. A bunch of my friends work for car toys and were constantly sending their new amps back for warranty. that is the main reason why the store stopped carrying them. JL slash series amps are some of the best for SQ today. They carry a big price tag but it is well worth it. Focal, macintosh, PPI art series, eclipse XA series, xtant - all great amps.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah I read it wrong I was kind of in a rush. and as far as the Jbl amp I'm worried about it being underpowered for the MB Quarts. I'm gonna take you advice cycon82 about running a seperate amp for the fronts and the rears.

·
How do you change this?
2,294 Posts
um.....wow. The old school MTX stuff is some of the most reliable amps to date. The newest MTX line are trash. they have tons of reliability issues. A bunch of my friends work for car toys and were constantly sending their new amps back for warranty. that is the main reason why the store stopped carrying them. JL slash series amps are some of the best for SQ today. They carry a big price tag but it is well worth it. Focal, macintosh, PPI art series, eclipse XA series, xtant - all great amps.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Obviously our personal experiences were different.

I do agree on PPI though :3_winkthu

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.