Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I think I am going to get the ARK Metallix VDK.. I know its not the best, but its not the worst.. But I do think It is the best buy for the money... My Question is, How hard is it to install these yourself, and about how much does it cost to get it installed by a body shop?? Any suggestions welcome...

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
i think its hard to do urself unless you are experienced. you need to take the front quarter panel off and need to weld.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
man you need to chill. Not everyone that looks @ this thread will have an answer for you.

You will need about 2-3 people and if this is your 1st time, I would figure around 6-8hrs per door.

You should take it to a body shop and ask since EVERY body shop charges different prices...

·
Registered
792 Posts
fixer said:
man you need to chill. Not everyone that looks @ this thread will have an answer for you.

You will need about 2-3 people and if this is your 1st time, I would figure around 6-8hrs per door.

You should take it to a body shop and ask since EVERY body shop charges different prices...
dude he only bumped the thread one more time.....???

Anywho, i'd recommend you have ATLEAST 2 other buddies to help you do this. It's pretty basic. It's completely bolt on. You need to take off the fenders and just basically take off the bolts for the original hinges and replace it with the new kit. Just take it easy and slow. REMEMBER the door is pretty heavy. Get ready to hold/grab it.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
:.peter.: said:
dude he only bumped the thread one more time.....???

Anywho, i'd recommend you have ATLEAST 2 other buddies to help you do this. It's pretty basic. It's completely bolt on. You need to take off the fenders and just basically take off the bolts for the original hinges and replace it with the new kit. Just take it easy and slow. REMEMBER the door is pretty heavy. Get ready to hold/grab it.

yeah 30 mins after he posted it.....

if your mechanicly inclined, you should be able to do it..but have friends there to help..and make sure you unplug the harness before you pull the door away...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Having installed the ARK Lambo Door Kit myself..this is what I have to say...

The directions sucked! Its just some pictures and a brief explanation, doesn't show anything; neither did the movie. Luckily, I was able to talk to Speck for help and he told me things that I missed and without him, I would've missed and messed up all together. Its basically figuring it out yourself, if ARK made their directions like Mussa did back in the day, it would be all good. I did one side at a time, so every mistake I found, I went back and fixed instead of fixing two doors. After the kit was bolted on and I thought I was following what you may call directions, correctly, we put the door back on. That when I talked to Speck and I had to take the driver door off 2 more times so 5 times of putting on, taking off... it was rediculous

Spent about 14 hours on Driver Door, 7 hours on passenger door. If I did it again, I'd say probably 5-6 hours on each door.

Oh, and a body shop around here who does lambo doors quoted me for $1,000 ... Not many body shops know how to install lambo doors. I called many places who say "All custom body work, the best around" and their like "Whoa, lambo doors..no way".

I had myself and 2 other guys help me. You need some strong people to help you so they dont drop your heavy door. Its interesting because 2 have to hold the door while you aline it back on..etc

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The doors arent that difficult at all if you are mechanically inclined. it's good to have one or two helping hands. to lift the door while you're putting on shocks.

as for taking off the door... and the wiring harnesses.... and all that said above... is completely unnecessary if you go with a Kit from vertical doors inc. You don't want to take off the door, because like patton said realigning it will be a biatch. vdk suggested taping the door to the car with lots of 3m tape and that worked out nicely. with the fender removed, we just removed the stock door mount, and attached the new one.

me and tosch would have had everything done that night but we had a couple of problems with the bolts that came with the kit so we ended up taking everything off and putting it back to stock. if you dont have a body kit and have stock parts, the install will take you about 12-15 hours depending on how mechanically inclined you are. The first door takes alot longer; but once you get that figured out the second one should be a breeze. From the sounds of it, the Vertical doors inc one sounds easier to install.

however if you do get another kit, i can send you the instructions (i think i still have it) for this one, and maybe it'll give you a few ideas. Using hte stock wiring harness trick will def. save you **** load of grief.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts