Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Have you experienced oil burning with your Tib?

• Yes

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • What..huh..oil? Who said somethin bout oil, ***** you cookin?

Votes: 3 6.3%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 has 92,000 miles on the clock and it's starting to consume quite a bit of oil. We're talking 1.5-2 quarts in between changes at 3,000 mile intervals. I feel like this is the beginning of the end. I know switching to a thicker oil will help postpone the inevitable but I wanted to see if I had a good run with this engine. I'm thinking not. :3_headsha

So my question to you guys (mainly looking for '03s but I welcome input from anybody) is how many miles did you get out of your V6 before it started to **** the bed? Also are any of you currently experiencing oil burning issues?

Hi my name is Dave and I have an oil burning problem. :3_sadley:

·
Hater With No Friends
11,098 Posts
Why not just replace your valve cover gasket rather than accept it is just dying? You sound like you are about to bury a healthy child when really, it just got the chicken pox, like almost every child at some point.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sound like you are about to bury a healthy child when really, it just got the chicken pox, like almost every child at some point.
^ I LOL'd. Thanks for the response. I asked a few people who claim to know cars and the main answer that I received was "engine rebuild", and I didn't like that. So starting with the valve covers is a good idea. But couldn't it also be seeping past the rings (which is also big $$ to fix?)

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Why not just replace your valve cover gasket rather than accept it is just dying? You sound like you are about to bury a healthy child when really, it just got the chicken pox, like almost every child at some point.
I'm with Taky on this one, if you service all of your external leaks first, then see if you're still consuming oil. If it persist....try figuring out if you've changed your driving route, and whens the last time you ever change out your PCV valve?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm with Taky on this one, if you service all of your external leaks first, then see if you're still consuming oil.
I had someone check it over quickly and he couldn't find any evidence of a leak (which is what I was hoping for). But inspecting/replacing the PCV valve is another good suggestion. I have a bad habit of assuming the worst, so please excuse my n00bish ignorance on the issue.

·
Banned
3,518 Posts
Reading comprehension failure :einstein:
Internal leak - not external.

Have you performed a compression test? This will reveal if its an internal leak (pistons) and if all signs point to a ring leak - prognosis is not good (new car).

·
Non-emo
3,353 Posts
Yeah, I'd think you're looking at more of a leak situation than a burn situation. Unless you're producing white smoke and some nasty smells, it's probably more of a gasket problem. Check those, replace, then monitor it over the next couple thousand miles.

Then again, losing a quart every 3,000 miles is normal for me. BMW engines are just built to eat a certain amount of oil over a period of time. Been true since I had my '91 E30.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts

Have you performed a compression test? This will reveal if its an internal leak (pistons) and if all signs point to a ring leak - prognosis is not good (new car).
Um...a cmpression test? You mean a Leakdown test? And I dont read where there was comp failure......he neither mention one or the other, or do you have a crystal ball that forsees all?<head tilt>

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
if all signs point to a ring leak - prognosis is not good (new car).
Yea this is what I'm afraid of..

Yeah, I'd think you're looking at more of a leak situation than a burn situation. Unless you're producing white smoke and some nasty smells, it's probably more of a gasket problem. Check those, replace, then monitor it over the next couple thousand miles.

Then again, losing a quart every 3,000 miles is normal for me. BMW engines are just built to eat a certain amount of oil over a period of time. Been true since I had my '91 E30.
Actually twice in the past month I've encountered blue smoke coming out of the pipes right at startup.... Sorry for not mentioning that in my original post.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
blue smoke = burning oil. I'd first pull out all of the spark plugs to see if you can isolate which cylinder (or perhaps cylinders) are burning the oil and go from there (look for oil on the spark plug tips). It could be a gasket somewhere, seal, or even just worn rings. Anyways as stated before, a thicker oil could help the issue a bit but is more of a band-aid solution to it all. You will probably need a new motor sooner rather than later as the amount of oil you're consuming is ridiculously excessive considering our cars don't eat oil like the german ones (BMW, Audi) do.

·
Registered
200 Posts
144,xxx miles on mine. Not burning or leaking any significant amount of oil. It may drop half a quart between changes but that seems to be the case on every car I've had. Oh and it's an 03 with v6.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
blue smoke = burning oil. I'd first pull out all of the spark plugs to see if you can isolate which cylinder (or perhaps cylinders) are burning the oil and go from there (look for oil on the spark plug tips). It could be a gasket somewhere, seal, or even just worn rings. Anyways as stated before, a thicker oil could help the issue a bit but is more of a band-aid solution to it all. You will probably need a new motor sooner rather than later as the amount of oil you're consuming is ridiculously excessive considering our cars don't eat oil like the german ones (BMW, Audi) do.
Thanks for the suggestions. I read that an engine burning oil will foul the spark plugs fairly quickly. I haven't experienced any loss of power or misfire so I'd say the plugs are good for now...but I can't be sure until I take a look at them. The blue smoke is what really got me down (and thinking about a new car).

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Yup. For what it's worth you could probably buy a junker engine and have it dropped in for around $1,000 in total. The 2.7 Delta is a fairly common and cheap engine for hyundai. If you have a friend with a garage / cherry picker you could do it for even cheaper.

·
Hater With No Friends
11,098 Posts

Oil could leak past the valve cover gasket right onto the piping hot headers, causing it to burn oil, leaving both a smell and a constant decline of oil. Why go elbow deep when it could be taken care of on the surface?

·
Banned
3,518 Posts
Um...a cmpression test? You mean a Leakdown test? And I dont read where there was comp failure......he neither mention one or the other, or do you have a crystal ball that forsees all?<head tilt>
Nope - compression (not cmpression) test and yes I has a krystal ball :3_shiny:

Original symptoms indicate the engines burning oil - which he prob is. Get a compression test to find out which cylinder and report back.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Nope - compression (not cmpression) test and yes I has a krystal ball :3_shiny:

Original symptoms indicate the engines burning oil - which he prob is. Get a compression test to find out which cylinder and report back.
Ah dammit! Ya bastid! ....My o stuck and I didnt catch it.....and let me barrow that damn crystal ball too while we're at it LOL
:3_chubby:

·
Registered
6 Posts
A compression test is a poor test that has almost nothing to do with oil consumption diagnosis, but it can tell you if your burning oil because it is getting past the rings (compare wet comp. test and dry comp. test results.) Adding a small amount of oil to the cylinder will make a temporary seal between the rings and the cylinder, showing an apparent increase in compression numbers. The only other way oil can be consumed internally is from head gasket failure where oil drains from the head to block, crankcase ventilation problem forcing oil in intake, or valve guides/seals. If it blows the blue smoke when it is revving down or if you hold it in a low gear while coasting down a hill, it's most likely valve seals, because engine deceleration creates a high vacuum in the intake which will suck oil through the seals and guides. Most manufacturers specify an acceptable oil consumption rate of 1qt/1000mi, even if it does sound ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts