Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

Have you experienced oil burning with your Tib?

• Yes

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • What..huh..oil? Who said somethin bout oil, ***** you cookin?

Votes: 3 6.3%
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Most manufacturers specify an acceptable oil consumption rate of 1qt/1000mi, even if it does sound ridiculous.
Interesting..that's more than what I'm seeing now. The blue smoke out the exhaust pipes after starting the engine hasn't happened in a few weeks. The last time was after I came back from a week long vacation and the car was sitting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 111k on my 6sp 2.7 full catless, unrestricted, 3 in "straight piped", and I go through a quart and a half a week, and if I do a pull I can leave a blue cloud behind me that looks like a civic rev fest, so my internals are junk, is it worth fixing or selling?

·
Administrator
9,108 Posts
I have 111k on my 6sp 2.7 full catless, unrestricted, 3 in "straight piped", and I go through a quart and a half a week, and if I do a pull I can leave a blue cloud behind me that looks like a civic rev fest, so my internals are junk, is it worth fixing or selling?
How many miles/quart? TIme is no help, miles is.

For Subaru, about 1200 miles/qt is getting high (flat engine), others closer to 2000/qt is high.

What weight oil are you running?
Where are you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
How many miles/quart? TIme is no help, miles is.

For Subaru, about 1200 miles/qt is getting high (flat engine), others closer to 2000/qt is high.

What weight oil are you running?
Where are you?

I'd say between 600 and 800 miles depending if I'm beating on it or not, I run 10w30 and when I just did my oil change I threw in Lucas oil stabilizer yo see if that helps. I'm in Wisconsin

·
Administrator
9,108 Posts
I'd say between 600 and 800 miles depending if I'm beating on it or not, I run 10w30 and when I just did my oil change I threw in Lucas oil stabilizer yo see if that helps. I'm in Wisconsin
Well, if oil smoke is worse on startup, then figure valve seals.
If not much difference or worse under loads, more likely rings.

A leakdown test can help.

I run 10w-30 year round and go about 2500 miles/qt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, if oil smoke is worse on startup, then figure valve seals.
If not much difference or worse under loads, more likely rings.

A leakdown test can help.

I run 10w-30 year round and go about 2500 miles/qt.

There's no burn on start up or if Im shifting under 3k so I was thinking rings are shot

·
Administrator
9,108 Posts
There's no burn on start up or if Im shifting under 3k so I was thinking rings are shot
Yes, likely rings. You can be crude and do a quickie with the engine in.....pull heads, con rods, pistons, quick hone (maybe a cylinder ridge ream), rings, reassemble.
Since cams are out, quick lap valves and seals.
Reassemble.

An aside, go to "user CP" upper left of any page.
Fill in state in "location".
Also go to signature and fill in some car info. You can see where I live (geography can make a difference in answers) and basics of car answers some questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got a question about my oil change.

Today I've changed my oil on 2005 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 i4.
It has 196400km.

I put in high quality fully synthetic 5w-30 motul 8100 oil.
I've put MAHLE oil filter on.

Previous owner always put in 10w-40 (idk if mineral or semisynthetic or what brand(but it was always serviced at hyundai)).

1st problem: After draining, leaving it for an hour to drain. I could only put in 3.5L of oil and not 4.0L and it was over F mark.
After starting the car and leaving it for a minute or two so the oil circled and filled the oil filter, the oil level dropped below F mark.

2nd problem: However! I have a bit of white smoke comming out with the smell of oil.

Issue? Is it becuase I put fully synthetic in? Is it too thin at 5w-30?
Should I drive for longer, see if problem stays and monitor oil level?
Should I change oil again?

Thanks

·
Administrator
9,108 Posts
I've got a question about my oil change.

Today I've changed my oil on 2005 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 i4.
It has 196400km.

I put in high quality fully synthetic 5w-30 motul 8100 oil.
I've put MAHLE oil filter on.

Previous owner always put in 10w-40 (idk if mineral or semisynthetic or what brand(but it was always serviced at hyundai)).

1st problem: After draining, leaving it for an hour to drain. I could only put in 3.5L of oil and not 4.0L and it was over F mark.
After starting the car and leaving it for a minute or two so the oil circled and filled the oil filter, the oil level dropped below F mark.

2nd problem: However! I have a bit of white smoke comming out with the smell of oil.

Issue? Is it becuase I put fully synthetic in? Is it too thin at 5w-30?
Should I drive for longer, see if problem stays and monitor oil level?
Should I change oil again?

Thanks
I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on it to see oil level.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In the mid day yesterday, I went to check the oil. It was spot on F mark. Started the car, no smoke.
Took the car for a 2 hour joy ride trough some very curvy mountain roads. Was pushing it hard. Never noticed any smoke as I drove.
Got home idled for a few minutes, no smoke, turned it off let it sit for 20 minutes. Went to check oil, and level was a little bit over F mark which is perfect as oil was warm.
No issues. I guess it was just condensation from exhaust as I was working on it in evening and it was getting cold.

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon 5 speed 2.0
31 Posts
I have a 06 2.0 I have no external leaks and some how went only 1200 miles on a oil change and I'm below my dipstick.. no abnormal smoke advise from what I see at idle "it's 20°f here" so I take it condensation vapor. . I do get a faint gas smell from exhaust. But that's it. What could be my oil problem ? . Also... It has 252,000odo😑 car runs and drives great just eats oil. And there's no cross contamination into coolant . Valve cover has been replaced within the last 6 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd think you're looking at more of a leak situation than a burn situation. Unless you're producing white smoke and some nasty smells, it's probably more of a gasket problem. Check those, replace, then monitor it over the next couple thousand miles.
mobdro

21 - 33 of 33 Posts