Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Read Only
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well since I don't know how to post stuff in the group buy section, and this is just a feeler anyways, I figured this would be as good of a place as any.

So during my vacation time over the holiday break, I was looking to buy some APE traction bars, but when I checked the price, I found it had been raised to $159 + shipping. Well upon seeing that, I thought I could come up with something better for cheaper, and I began searching.

I spent an entire day talking to all kinds of local suspension shops, Ingalls technical advisors, and even a few local Summit-like performance shops that have been around for years (places my grandpa used to buy parts when he was racing). Basically they all came to the same conclusion: that the end-links on the APE bars are good, but could be improved, and the bars would run about $70-80 a bar if made properly (which is inline with APE prices). They also informed me that any time you use heim joint ends (like are used in the APE bars), they will wear out, and need to be replaced about every 30,000 miles. Whether this is true or not, I can't say, but thats what I was told. I was also told that you don't want a completely solid end link on the bar, because the ride could be rough on a street-driven vehicle. Anyways, to the solution I have come up with......

The product I have come up with will mount in a similar manner to the APE bars (weld-in, very similar mounting points), but will have a different bar design. The bar will look similar to the picture below, and are available with either a rubber or poly bushing. This will give enough play in the bar to make it comfortable for street-driven cars, yet strong enough to withstand hard launches.

The onther nice thing about this design is it can be adjusted without removing the bar from the car (not sure how the APE bars work), so it could be loosened/tightened at the track just by loosening the jam nuts and adjusting the center nut. This makes the bar EASY to adjust at the track if needed. And while heim joints wear out, the only thing that would wear out here would be the bushings (which last a very long time), and possible the center screw (which also has no moving parts, so would last practically forever).

So now that I have basically explained why I made some of the design changes/improvements, lets get down to price. While I have not installed these yet (just received the bars this week), and need to work out the weld-in mounts, I would expect these to be priced at about $150 shipped for a group buy. This is about $20 + shipping costs lower than the APE units.

Before I even see if a group buy would be feasible, I am just checkign what kind of interest there would be. The turnaround time would be maybe a month from start to finish, so it's not like you would be waiting forever to receive the products. And of course I will post results, directions, etc as they are available. Unfortunately I think results for an improvement in track times will be a while, as I am in the process of putting in a new clutch, so I have a break-in period to deal with there. But i have LOTS of before timeslips, so i can show a before/after improvement in 60' times when i do get the clutch broken in.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
That sounds like a great idea,,,,and an improved one at that !

The only downside that I encounter personally is the welding-factor, of having to go to a shop for the weld.

However the product and price sound completely resonable and fair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.