Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a answer from experience not a guess,How much boost can the beta2 take without a decompression plate or any other internal work done?And I'm talking reliable ,not a 1000 miles and it goes boom but long term.

·
Registered
558 Posts
this has been discussed so many times it's ridiculous... just use the search button.. the beta II is pretty strong

·
Banned
2,716 Posts
Not sure, but with the search you will find plenty of info...I promise. I do know that the Beta has a bery strong block.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
yes the beta block is strong...guys are running the Alpine non intercooled kit with no decomp plate at about 8psi MAX. If you want to add the intercooler then I would go to 10-11psi...I am running the decomp plate and the Alp intercooled kit with 17psi if that helps any.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Seeing as youre already blown I have a few quick questions for you. How much boost are you currently running, what s/c kit did you purchase, how much did it cost you, whats your performance gain like (hp numbers?) and how safe do you feel with your (I'm assuming) stock block and your s/c for everyday driving (read: have you had any serious problems yet)?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
search
search
and
search
some more.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
yes the beta block is strong...guys are running the Alpine non intercooled kit with no decomp plate at about 8psi MAX. If you want to add the intercooler then I would go to 10-11psi...I am running the decomp plate and the Alp intercooled kit with 17psi if that helps any.

That was the only "get out of search" card that I will give out.

I spy with my little eye something that is blue, in my sig and says Alpine intercooled TURBO.

I have not serious issues yet but if you dont have a lot of patience and time for maintenance then this is not a project for you. My only real on going issue is a leak somewhere, I have little amounts of oil entering my coolant that just gets dumped into the overflow. I think its a matter of torquing my head down some more to 65ft/lbs, dont follow factory specs when tightening that, just do the torquing in a few stages.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Next to the 4G63 The BetaII engine is the strongest normally aspirated motor out there. It LOVES boost. With good tuning you can run 17-20psi on stock internals w/o a decomp plate all day long. With bad tuning you'll blow it with less than 8psi.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next to the 4G63 The BetaII engine is the strongest normally aspirated motor out there. It LOVES boost. With good tuning you can run 17-20psi on stock internals w/o a decomp plate all day long. With bad tuning you'll blow it with less than 8psi.
So say I upgrade to a 10lbs pulley and reflash my unichip ,Your saying I should have no problems as far as headgaskets go, right.How much boost were you putting out on yours?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seeing as youre already blown I have a few quick questions for you. How much boost are you currently running, what s/c kit did you purchase, how much did it cost you, whats your performance gain like (hp numbers?) and how safe do you feel with your (I'm assuming) stock block and your s/c for everyday driving (read: have you had any serious problems yet)?
No problems,6-7lbs of boost,hp don't know yet have not dynoed ,reliable as sh1t very pleased so far,Alpine s/c around 3000.00.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
im running 19 psi on my build (t3/t4 hybrid) with an automatic tranny, with absolutely no problems. My block has some minor work (forged pistons) and a ported head. Overall it handles great, too bad its not a manual though or else I would get more power/pull out of it!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
^actually that 40 series tranny is stronger than the 30 series manual tranny....if you can believe that...with the right cooler anyway...

lets also remember fellas that turbo size matters...if you run 10 psi with a small turbo and run 10 psi with a big turbo....the bigger turbo will blow the motor....

if a turbo is matched the to the motor....10 psi intercooled is all i would go. but a gain...if your going to do it...do it right...just food for thought...save up and pull the pistons out...i dont trust the decomp plate...just another spot to fail.

·
Registered
986 Posts

werd up:3_winkthu i didn't really think about the 4g63 until u had said that ... go figure.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
lets also remember fellas that turbo size matters...if you run 10 psi with a small turbo and run 10 psi with a big turbo....the bigger turbo will blow the motor.....

I've been running 17-18psi with my 60-1 for quite some time. That's decently large for a 4cyl.

No decompression plate.
270whp on a driveable, but not "good" tune. Once I find the gremlin that's giving me a headache, I'll fine tune it and crank it up to 19 or so.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Prs2 and stock unopened motor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i guess i babying my motor.
i just got the decompression plate on t3/t4 turboand
i am staying at 7psi
time to crank it up i guess....

·
Registered
878 Posts
How much are timing are you pulling with that much boost?
I am in the process of installing the smaller pulley on my Alpine SC setup and wonder how set up the timing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts