Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotta question...i'm about to have the Assasin installed...but before i do...i was wondering how much boost the stock bottom end can handle? Running what...10psi...i'd probably wanna go with a bigger and better fuel pump...and an oil catch can. I definitely don't wanna MAX out the bottom end...so i wanna no it's limits.

·
Registered
855 Posts
pnut0328 said:
I've gotta question...i'm about to have the Assasin installed...but before i do...i was wondering how much boost the stock bottom end can handle? Running what...10psi...i'd probably wanna go with a bigger and better fuel pump...and an oil catch can. I definitely don't wanna MAX out the bottom end...so i wanna no it's limits.
This has been debated a million times and it really depends on the car. Probably 250ish would be the most I would be safe with, but that does not mean that is the max. A good tune will get you far, but for only so long if you decide to push the limits. Remember with forced induction, you pay to play. However, IMO you are smart for going the roots route (probably the safest, on a stock bottom end). If you are installing the Assasin, go with what NGM recommends and no further with out a built block. There is a reason why NGM sells the kit the way it is!

·
Registered
888 Posts
trojan said:
This has been debated a million times and it really depends on the car. Probably 250ish would be the most I would be safe with, but that does not mean that is the max. A good tune will get you far, but for only so long if you decide to push the limits. Remember with forced induction, you pay to play. However, IMO you are smart for going the roots route (probably the safest, on a stock bottom end). If you are installing the Assasin, go with what NGM recommends and no further with out a built block. There is a reason why NGM sells the kit the way it is!

Safest for the time being... :3_wink:

·
Registered
191 Posts
what kinds of thing can we do to build the bottom end? I know the basics. Pistons, rods, cams, valves. But these things are not easy to find. What needs to be done for lower comp pistons exactly? im fuzzy on these kinds of things

·
Registered
888 Posts
Tuscani911 said:
what kinds of thing can we do to build the bottom end? I know the basics. Pistons, rods, cams, valves. But these things are not easy to find. What needs to be done for lower comp pistons exactly? im fuzzy on these kinds of things

Well for starters the last two things you listed arent bottom end parts.... You basically need pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and oil pump to square the bottom end away for boost. Cams and valves are for when you work the top half of the motor over. You can also make power with adjustable cam gears.

Lower compression pistons are installed the same way as stock unless they are oversized in order to increase displacement in which case you need to hone/bore your block to accommodate a larger piston. As for their availability... they're not so hard to find if you know where to look. I could tell you a place if u PM me :3_wink: .

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Boostology said:
Safest for the time being... :3_wink:
actually, turbo setups might be safer, IF you know how to maintain it... :)

just kinding you guys (but it is true)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Zaion said:
actually, turbo setups might be safer, IF you know how to maintain it... :)

just kinding you guys (but it is true)

hey aren't you looking for pistons?

Boostology said:
Lower compression pistons are installed the same way as stock unless they are oversized in order to increase displacement in which case you need to hone/bore your block to accommodate a larger piston. As for their availability... they're not so hard to find if you know where to look. I could tell you a place if u PM me :3_wink: .
there you go :3_smile:

·
Registered
191 Posts
i dunno whether im gonna go s/c or turbo. most likely s/c. but i am definitly buying the pistons and holding on to em. i cant pass this up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
i dunno whether im gonna go s/c or turbo. most likely s/c. but i am definitly buying the pistons and holding on to em. i cant pass this up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
FYI, This is in the head but ur valve springs can handle 13psi-ish. Boost is very addicting, so keep that in mind. Anything over yer gonna want a upgrade. There $300ish.

Side note. I was under the impression that roots werent as safe. I know TC does mad R&D. Thats why his kits are so reliable thus far. But wouldnt u think that having boost so early on(instant power) with a roots blower it would beat on the engine more then a centrifugal that more or less builds boost? Just a thought. O coulda sworn i herd this before many times.???

·
Registered
464 Posts
Carrera1984 said:
FYI, This is in the head but ur valve springs can handle 13psi-ish. Boost is very addicting, so keep that in mind. Anything over yer gonna want a upgrade. There $300ish.

Side note. I was under the impression that roots werent as safe. I know TC does mad R&D. Thats why his kits are so reliable thus far. But wouldnt u think that having boost so early on(instant power) with a roots blower it would beat on the engine more then a centrifugal that more or less builds boost? Just a thought. O coulda sworn i herd this before many times.???
i heard the same thing but i wonder why the centrifugal aka ripp, has blown more motors???

·
Registered
855 Posts
Carrera1984 said:

4lbs of boost on a roots vs 4lbs of boost on a centrifugal are totally different. The centrifugal is going to move more air volume than the roots (at least with what is available currently for the tiburon). The roots type F/I for the Tiburon is currently the safest, because the centrifugal kits have yet to be consistent. However, there are several people on this board that have customized their centrifugal setups and been quite successful. Also, I hear that someone is supposedly tweeking the kit to make it more reliable??????? Not sure, but when that happens, I am sure they will let you know.

·
Registered
464 Posts
trojan said:
Lot's of air, crappy tuning and poor design = Kabooooommmmmmm
rofl i wanted to know because im really debating on gettin a ripp or not, i can use ngm stg 4 with the rip, and its more like a turbo

·
Registered
855 Posts
Vidfinnx said:
rofl i wanted to know because im really debating on gettin a ripp or not, i can use ngm stg 4 with the rip, and its more like a turbo
Well until the kit is redesigned, I would stay away. I am not saying it is a bad kit (had on myself), but without a lot of proper tuning and such, it is just not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
This is an awesome thread.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Carrera1984 said:

This is untrue. I ran 15 psi regularly with no valve problems when i had the original SDS on my car....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts