Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is $265 too much to pay for auto detailing (exterior only)

Hi guys,

I am clueless when it comes to auto detailing and Im about to bring my car into the local detailer.
If you can provide some advise on how to spot a ripoff I would really appreciate it.

Here is the website of the guys who are gonna do it for me.
detailworks.com/auto_detailing.htm
I was quoted $265 for exterior detailing + paint sealant.
They stated that black cars are a little more expensive to detail.
Do you think they are legit?

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
wow, seems totally rediculous to me. Our local detailing shop which is always rammed full of clients put out some of the most amazingly perfect looking cars after a good detailing.

They only run $140 CANADIAN. (and i thought that seemed like a lot)

·
Registered
356 Posts
wow, seems totally rediculous to me. Our local detailing shop which is always rammed full of clients put out some of the most amazingly perfect looking cars after a good detailing.

They only run $140 CANADIAN. (and i thought that seemed like a lot)
agreed! a friend runs a detailing shop and he charges no more than $150 for inside and outside - and that's for a big car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much guys!!!

Dya know here can you find an honest and reliable detailer who doesn't charge an arm and a leg?
I did a search on the forums but I couldn't find reference to any.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Re: Is $265 too much to pay for auto detailing (exterior only)

Hi guys,

I am clueless when it comes to auto detailing and Im about to bring my car into the local detailer.
If you can provide some advise on how to spot a ripoff I would really appreciate it.

Here is the website of the guys who are gonna do it for me.
detailworks.com/auto_detailing.htm
I was quoted $265 for exterior detailing + paint sealant.
They stated that black cars are a little more expensive to detail.
Do you think they are legit?
I professionally detail cars during the nice weather months on weekends. Price will probably and SHOULD depend on the condition of the paint. I have charged as little as 50 bucks for a full exterior detail on a black car (brand new) and as much as 250 bucks for my old bosses car. I charged him that much because his car looked as though he has washed it with sandpaper, and it took me 2 days to get all the swirls out. I got them all out and his car looked brand new when I was done, but I wasn't going to let him get a bunch of free work out of me.

If you are anywhere near rockford il, you are more then welcome to bring it by my place and I will give ya an estimate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys, I live in San Diego.

ADIDAS, the condition of my car is not really that bad.
Been through a couple of cheap car washes so I have some fine scratches and oxidation accumulated over 3 yrs. Funny how the spoiler oxidizes way more than other parts of the car.
And are black cars really that much harder to detail?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
damn, for $250, buy an orbital buffer and do it yourself for the rest of your life

·
Registered
415 Posts
It cost me $100 bucks for exterior only (black Tib) Mine was in really good condition though; it has only been washed by hand so scratches were at a minimum. The guy said it was the best black car he's seen come into his shop.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got my car done for a $175 they did all the carpet including the roof, cleaned the engine, and outside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got back from another detailer.
OK this one quoted me $120 for exterior detailing.
But when I said I wanted to add the teflon paint sealant, he quoted me $350.
He said he is using the top-of-the-line creme-of-the-crops teflon by the name of carsnova or something like that.
Sounds fishy to me.
Why is everybody trying to scam me? LOL.
Im from San Diego by the way.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
And if you don't know what you're doing with it, you will end up doing more harm then good.
if you dont know how to drive you could crash and die too

but you gotta learn somehow....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I wish I could find the pics of my bosses old car. the before and after are NUTS.

I did a ladies pathfinder one time too. she had owned it 10 years, and NEVER washed it by hand, or waxed it or anything. She had only taken it to drive thru car washes. I actually brought a friend in to help me detail her car. She dropped it off on a friday night, and I returned it to her on a sunday night. I had to use meguiars scratch X on the ENTIRE car. I worked with her. She told me monday afternoon that her boss pulled in next to her in the parking garage, got out and asked her where she had bought her new SUV.

Thats probably the best compliment a detailer can get.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
It's not that difficult to use the Porter Cable. I just read up about it on Autopia and used it right out of the box in conjunction with the proper detailing products. My tib looked incredible first time around.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It's not that difficult to use the Porter Cable. I just read up about it on Autopia and used it right out of the box in conjunction with the proper detailing products. My tib looked incredible first time around.

That's what I use too. One of these days I am gonna invest in a orbital buffer. You can do even MORE amazing things if you know how to use those right.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts