Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This is a post for everyone who wants to know about turbos because I am tired of answering the same questions over and over. First, go buy Maximum boost by Corky Bell (or download it here CLICKY thank you pauly) this will be your “bible” for the next few months (and no not all this information is available online). Second, the list below may or may not be complete and will be updated from time to time (if you see something missing or incorrect please post it or PM me so I can fix it I am not “god” nor have I memorized my “bible”). Third, I am trying to stay away from naming brands here if you want to know which is best search/research find out which will be best for your application (DON’T POST HERE). Last, things such as Turbo size, injector size, oil line size etc... are different for every setup, so don’t ask “what size turbo do I need”. If you need help first list your goals then using your “bible” and a lot of research pick what you think is an appropriate part then post and ask if it is the best part for your application.

Projects to Follow:
Motox244's turbo build:
CLICKY

Octane's Boost Blog
CLICKY

Duffer's Ebay Turbo Kit:
CLICKY

Heratick's Turbo Website:
CLICKY

HYPERormance Turbo Project:
CLICKY

RathIsSolid Turbo Teaser:
CLICKY

EliteWarMachines NGM turbo install:
CLICKY

Paul J. McCains Custom Turbo Build Journal:
CLICKY

Turbo kits currently available for V6 tib = NGM (yes that’s it)
I2tuning has a great partial kit for us which can be found here:
CLICKY

Custom build (here’s what you need)

Mandatory modifications:

*Fuel tuner
(The Power of Dreams Neo DIY)

*290cc injectors (or higher)
*Adjustable 1:1 Fuel Pressure Rregulator w/ gauge
(YoYos DIY)

*At least one solid motor mount (two would be better but one will work)
(Stevis50s homemade DIY)
*Turbocharger
*Turbo flange and downpipe flange
*External Wastegate 38mm or 44mm
*BOV with adapter
*Intercooler
*Piping for intake & intercooler (yes the e-bay pipe kits are fine but buy better couplers)
*Silicon couplers with good clamps (T clamps)
*Custom manifold to turbo/custom downpipe (mandrel bend, also you must get them coated with something so they don’t rust)
*Oil fittings, Oil lines feed & return (don’t cheap out here nothing like a $7 part that can cost you thousands if it fails) you can find Turbo oil kit w/ all you can need (oil feeding line is -4an return oil line must be -10an).
*Bulkhead mate for oil return line (suggest weld on the uppper oil pan)
*Sandwich plate for oil feed (don’t cheap out and do the home depot mod it will break and you could lose your engine just search I did it to start with (preturbo) and almost lost my motor)
*Vacuum splitter / vacuum lines / vacuum line filters
*Boost gauge/line (don’t use those nylon lines just buy small vacuum line it works a lot better and its cheaper)
(philm00xs DIY)
Lots of heat protection
*Sparkplugs (1 to 2 steps colder dependent on planned PSI)
*Recirculating adapters (if you want to go recirculated)
*Clutch and flywheel (because the stock one will go fast)
(lonesharks 6-speed DIY)
*Battery relocation kit
(leber066s DIY)

Highly Suggested:

Exhaust 2.5" or 3"
Headers (if your not going to build a custom manifold directly off the block)
Wideband (then you don’t have to pay for the insane amount of dyno time you would need)
255lph Fuel pump
(r100s DIY)
Oil catch can (in no way mandatory but its defiantly worth the extra $20)
(dzignr_tastzs PCV thread)
Oil pressure and temp gauge
Turbo timmer (not necessary if you can wait a few minutes in your car at idle)
(Speed-Factors DIY)
Boost controller (manual or electronic)
OBD-2 scanner (great for trouble shooting)
Oil cooler (not necessary)

Other fun mods:

Alcohol/water injection
Exhaust cutout (Thanks ShrkByt05)

Tools/supplies:

All the standard tools plus:
Torque wrench
Tap/drill bit for oil pan (if you don’t plan on welding it which I suggest)
Oil and filter
Brake cleaner to clean oil pan
Silicon sealer designed for oil pan (I don’t remember what its called)
Blowtorch (to clean off oil pan)
Lots of zip ties

Notes

1. Remote mount system: Basicly the remote system mounts further down the exhaust stream, sometimes replacing the muffler. It is usually run without an intercooler because the air flowing under the car (where the charge pipe is now run) and the length of the pipe act to cool the air. Uses basically the same components as any other turbo kit with the addition of an oil scavenge pump. This is needed because in a typical turbo setup the turbo is mounted higher than the oil pan allowing the oil to gravity feed through the return line back to the pan. In the remote system the turbo is lower than the oil pan, so a pump is used to push it back to the pan. (Tthanks 06orangecrush)

2. If you have a 05+ model you will need to convert your fuel system from a returnless system.

3. Anything you do to your car and any anything that results from that is completely your responsibility.

4. While you can get away with buying no name brands for something’s like the intercooler. Keep in mind what will happen if the part fails (in most cases it will = BOOM) then think if its worth spending the extra $$$ to greatly reduce the chances of component failure.

5. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or corrections to make

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I vote for sticky!

good one tex

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
STICKY !

P.S: Got 3 questions : What's a water injection ? What's the difference between a Turbo controller and a Turbo timer ? What's a motor mount ? :D

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Sorry for posting once again, but I really demand sticky !!!!! :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
JYL_SouthKorea said:
STICKY !

P.S: Got 3 questions : What's a water injection ? What's the difference between a Turbo controller and a Turbo timer ? What's a motor mount ? :D
Water injection helps lower cylinder temperatures to help prevent detonation. A boost controller allows you to turn up or turn down boost. A turbo timer is to allow a proper cool down for the turbo. Improper cooling down of the turbo will lead to a shortened life and in some cases cracking . I myself don't have one right now, but am planning on getting one. It should have been one of my first mods. And come on a motor mount. Its to help prevent wheel hop and excessive rocking of the engine

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Ding ding ding, come on down and tell him what hes won, Bob......
^^all said info is correct.
hey i just got my electric cutout, and DAMN man at speeds on the highway (like 60 and up)
Open DP DEFFINITLY ownz jo0..lol
Chase
badassmod for F/I in ANY form....

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ShrkByt05 said:
hey i just got my electric cutout, and DAMN man at speeds on the highway (like 60 and up)
Open DP DEFFINITLY ownz jo0..lol
Chase
badassmod for F/I in ANY form....
Dont know how i forgot that im looking into getting one for myself right now (ill be PMing you shortly lol)

wxman25 said:
you should also talk about a remote mount unit just a thought
Id love to add that but I don’t know much about it other than the basic concept. If you want to write it ill gladly add it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Basicly the remote system mounts further down the exhaust stream, sometimes replacing the muffler. It is usually run without an intercooler because the air flowing under the car (where the charge pipe is now run) and the length of the pipe act to cool the air. Uses basically the same components as any other turbo kit with the addition of an oil scavenge pump. This is needed because in a typical turbo setup the turbo is mounted higher than the oil pan allowing the oil to gravity feed through the return line back to the pan. In the remote system the turbo is lower than the oil pan, so a pump is used to push it back to the pan.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
until you take a speed bump and break the turbo

And if your going to turbo a tib, it would be more cost-effective and simpler to do a normal setup, not a remote mount

·
Registered
510 Posts
actually, i planned on doing a remote setup on the tib and i found 2 pretty good spots that would keep the turbo up out of the way. and as far as cost effective, i say it is about the same price. you don't need an intercooler with a remote setup, but you do need the oil pump so the costs kind of offset each other.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
06orangecrush said:
actually, i planned on doing a remote setup on the tib and i found 2 pretty good spots that would keep the turbo up out of the way. and as far as cost effective, i say it is about the same price. you don't need an intercooler with a remote setup, but you do need the oil pump so the costs kind of offset each other.
and where might these two spots be?

·
Banned
434 Posts
06orangecrush said:

you could also run a standalone oil tank if you are mounting the system in the back. you would still need a pump but then you wouldnt have to tap the oil pan or run lines from front to back. Probably a wash in cost, especially if you put an oil cooler in there, but i see this as an easier and cleaner option.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
sweet thread!!

dont have time to read it all right now but i definately will later

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I hope this will be stickied. It's a very useful thread.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
so, i searched for exhaust cutout since i didnt know what it was and i found this
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ex-cutout.html

now from looking at that, it looks like it would adversly affect your exhaust flow if the cutout is closed wouldnt it?

and it also looks like an expensive mod for only a 10whp gain, then again i dont know what kind of car that is or how much that costs.

anyone have that done to their tib?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
YoYo said:
Less than a supercharger kit :3_winkthu
Really ? Is a supercharger kit THAT expensive ? :p

1 - 20 of 84 Posts