Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a video that features a 600 hp first gen RD tiburon. Can't post the link because I'm too new, but just Google "AWD tiburon and you'll see it. Just a 2 minute video. In it they stripped it down and packed a second 2.0 into the rear along with the front end from another tiburon, effectively making it an AWD car(although obviously not AWD by conventional standards). Then both engines were turbo'd. Goodness that's a beast of a machine. My question is, is this at all possible to do DIY? What all would need to be done to fabricate yourself an AWD tib? Things I think needed are of course and engine with drivetrain/suspenion parts from another vehicle. But what would you have to do to complete it? Would the rear engine be able to just simply mount to the frame or would it be better to cut each frame in half and weld 2 front halves together? And how would you go about being able to control the throttles for each engine? Would a separate cable simply be needed to be run to the back one? And if that's the case, how would you deal with the front/back wheels traveling faster than the other? And same thing for the clutch. One master cylinder be enough, or would you need to run cables to a whole new master/slave cylinder in the back? Would brake clamping force need to be increased in the rear wheels or no? Fuel pumps would have to be moved inward and basically everything such as brake lines, fule lines, exhaust, etc would have to be custom routed, i know. And do you think all of this could be done for under 5k? Like all done yourself, welding, mounting, stripping down and cutting section for the new engine. I work at O'Reilly's and probably will for the next few years, so parts are cheap (engine i can get remanufactured for like $1500 from PowerTorque).

And finally, at the end of the video the car is doing donuts. But these aren't regular, it's as if the read wheels were able to turn as well and allow the tib to just sit there and spin in place. How would you connect the steering to control 4 wheels? And is it possible to turn of steering for the rear wheel and switch back and forth to 2 wheel steering?

·
Registered
951 Posts
This link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fQUCUGwX5I

I think if you're able to turn a Tiburon into an AWD with 2 engines and as a DIY project then you should have the knowledge to essentially build a car from scratch, I would imagine.

It would be a beastly project and I'm sure most of us has seen this video a bunch of times by now but the money / effort into this project is crazy. I would love you to try though!

·
Registered
161 Posts
As to your primary question: yes, you could potentially do this yourself. Hell, with the right skills, tools and materials you can do just about anything to a car that you can imagine. The question then becomes: is it worth it? But that's entirely for you to decide.

The first thing to think about is that a project of this scale would require a large budget (5k is questionable, IMO), but most importantly a TON of time. Lots of welding, lots of trial and error fitment, and lots of custom parts. The custom parts bit is usually the sticking point for most guys that dream up a project like this, but there are the rare exceptions, like this guy:

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/i4-forced-induction/261594-i4-mid-engine-swap.html

If you really want to pursue this, read that thread. Read it and re-read it and re-read it again. And see if you can talk to the guy to get some ideas and help, because you'd basically be doing the same thing as what he's working on, just a little more complicated (he's just moving the engine/drivetrain to the back, whereas you'd be adding the rear engine/drivetrain in, and then trying to get them to work in tandem). This means throttle linkage, clutch lines, shift linkages, etc..

And as for the 4 wheel steering question, I'm sure its possible but I really don't think its worth your time to try to build it. And I'm 90% sure the tib in the video doesn't have 4 wheel steering, if I remember right he just does the donuts in reverse, that's why it looks funny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For the burnout, he has separate shifters for the two automatic transmissions. He put one in reverse and one in drive.

The car was built by Dragonfab in texas. Yamaha, a member on Hyundaiaftermarket and Elantraxd bought the car from them. He said the swap has a complete hack job. Two turbo engines cooled with ONE radiator. Coolant lines run under the car to the back... There are pictures of the car on Elantraxd

Front engine:

Rear engine

Fire hazard:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Twin engine tiburon looks like a hack job and a half. Just scrap.

The red 4G63T AWD swapped Tiburon, now that is a beauty. I can imagine one could somehow technically use Tucson parts and convert them. Both the tiburon and the Tucson are built off the same Elantra platform. The Tucson can be found with the 2.0 beta 2 engine, 5 speed manual and AWD. The hard part would be fitting all the all wheel drive components as well as the rear end, would require a fair amount of fabricating I would assume. But I think that would be the easiest "Hyundai" parts build without getting stuff from another manufacturer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts