Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the local pool hall shooting some pool. I know a lot of the people in there and one guy is a DSM maniac and loves mitsubishi. We got into an arguement. He was trying to tell me that Mitsu bought Hyundai 3 months ago. I dont think its true, there is o way Mitsu bought Hyundai. Has anyone heard anything? If Mitsu did, I will shoot myself.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Daimler Chrysler, which owns Mitsubishi bought a 10% stake in hyundai this summer, but hyundai owns them both! :3_nosthum

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL, I would, but he blew his motor. haha. He has a flat black painted stratus with a batmobile logo painted on the hood. Technically its a Mitsu. And hes all for Mitsu/DSM. I know our motors are Mitsubishi blocks. But noe the tables have turned as Chrysler is buying motors from Hyundai.

Oh, btw.....do you guys think his injen intake will fit on the Tib? He told me it might and he would sell it to me for $20.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mitsubishi used to own a 15% hold on hyundai automotive in the 90's. but hyundai has bought back most of its shares. Back in the day hyundai used to borrow alot of technology from mitsu's. From time to time you'll still find mitsubishi parts in our beloved hyundais with the mitsu stamp still on them.

edit: here's a lengthy article about current relations between daimler, hyundai and mitsubishi

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_18/b3881084_mz054.htm

·
Registered
898 Posts
Mitsubishi is like on the verge of bankruptcy. What money would they have to buy out another company?? Anywho Mitsubishi, Daimler Chrysler, and Hyundai have created the World Engine. No one owns anyone in this trio

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
GuamBomb said:
He's an IDIOT!. I believe Hyundai is doing better than Mitsu in sales. Why would Hyundai do that! JUST RACE HIM and settle it.haha
thats true.. i dont see many of them on the road at all.. i only see older galants.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mitsus are decent. But they are unreliable as hell. 2 of my buddies bought talons and they have had nothing but problems.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
DarkSouledSRT said:
Mitsubishi is like on the verge of bankruptcy. What money would they have to buy out another company?? Anywho Mitsubishi, Daimler Chrysler, and Hyundai have created the World Engine. No one owns anyone in this trio
+1... Mitsubishi can barely afford Mitsubishi, they can't afford Hyundai. Hyundai is a much stronger company financially.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I see at least 50 eclipses on the road every day, they're the 2nd most popular car in the tennessee georgia alabama area next to mustangs.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
I know two seperate people who own Evo's and they both had they're cars start on fire and it wasnt even running. Some electrical issue. I love the Evo's but damn thats tuff to chew

·
Registered
256 Posts
I used to own a 2nd gen eclipse and I loved it but you're allright because it was nothing but problems! It was realiable for me but the little things just stared piling up and I had to sell it! One thing wouldn't work after another!

Anyways I read in autoweek that mitsu just took out a loan to avoid banckrupcy (sorry for the spelling) So I highly doubt they could afford to buy hyundai. . . . I'll try to find the article. Maybe your DSM guy got confussed with the 10% stock deal thingy and mistook that for an all out purchase.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tuscani911 said:
Mitsus are decent. But they are unreliable as hell. 2 of my buddies bought talons and they have had nothing but problems.
I've never seen an unreliable dsm that wasn't either neglected or driven to 10/10ths every day of it's life. My dsm breaks often, in fact I spent new year's eve rebuilding a front caliper. But I would be surprised if any other car took the abuse I throw at it.

That really applies to any car though, a couple locals autox their elantras and they expect that the clutches will fail, tires will wear, rotors will warp, and so on because they're driving their cars above and beyond the limits of what they were originally designed to do.

On Topic - Mitsu won't be buying anyone any time soon, they're too broke. Luckily I can still get most of my 4g63 parts through my Hyundai dealership at discount though even if they do go under :3_yes:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Kalian said:
Mitsubishi used to own a 15% hold on hyundai automotive in the 90's. but hyundai has bought back most of its shares. Back in the day hyundai used to borrow alot of technology from mitsu's. From time to time you'll still find mitsubishi parts in our beloved hyundais with the mitsu stamp still on them.

edit: here's a lengthy article about current relations between daimler, hyundai and mitsubishi

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_18/b3881084_mz054.htm
Interesting article. So DaimlerChrysler bought a 10.5% stake in Hyundai to do joint ventures that it now appears won't happen. DC also owns 37% of Mitsu and a much larger share of a Mitsu truck company. This article suggests that DC will bail out Mitsu, which seems logical given their large share of ownership.

Anyway, given the success that Hyundai is having, they don't need a leg up from anyone else anymore.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
custom turbo said:
I see at least 50 eclipses on the road every day, they're the 2nd most popular car in the tennessee georgia alabama area next to mustangs.
thats the truth, esp the the 2000 - 2004 (i think are the yr) body style... once in awhile u see the older ones (my favorite) but those are typically GSX and GST models and i almost never see the new model and few i have seen are not the loaded v6 model

·
Registered
201 Posts
he's stupid. Mitsubishi is struggling in sales... they are in absolutely no position to buy Hyundai

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
So DaimlerChrysler bought a 10.5% stake in Hyundai to do joint ventures that it now appears won't happen.
The only joint venture that has gone thru is the 2.4L I4 engine, that is done, and is finally making its way into current products.

he's stupid. Mitsubishi is struggling in sales... they are in absolutely no position to buy Hyundai
Well, technically they did buy Hyundai. As stated above they bought a 10.5% share. While its not overtaking them, its still buying them. And they know they are struggling, so they are trying to make some money on other investments, thus buying into Hyundai

·
Registered
154 Posts
okay first off ever since the 2nd gen (or after 1995) THEY SUCKED

GST were the only thing CLOSE:3_nosthum to a performance car, and since then the car, in its whole has been criticized. which is rightfully should :-D

mitsu use to be a good company, but as the Evolution (lol irony) of performance begins to take shape its lack is there for shown with the brand new, shh-eeeclipse.:3_nooo:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts