Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car company Hyundai has officially shown its interest to start up a Formula One team in the future. The South Korean company hopes to enter F1 in 2010, which is also the year F1 will travel to Sout-Korea for its first race in the Asian country.

Although nothing is finalised the talks with FOM have started to enter F1 in the future. A Hyundai manager said in the German media: "We are currently talking with Bernie Ecclestone."

Hyundai is a South Korean group of companies founded by Chung Ju-yung in 1947 as a construction company and was once South Korea's biggest conglomerate company. The company split into five business entities on April 1, 2001 including Hyundai Kia Automotive Group, Hyundai Group, Hyundai Department Store Group and Hyundai Development Group. Hyundai was the 2nd largest Chaebol in 2004 based on total revenues.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=133902

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
peachferrari said:
Interesting. If they do it that could give them some know-how that would hopefully carry over to their consumer cars.
Racing is an excellent platform for R&D. Advancements such as centrally located spark plugs, multi-cam multi-valve heads, and the aluminium block have all advanced on a production level in some way because of racing.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
That's awesome. By participating in F1 racing, Hyundai's going to improve his own automobile technology. GOOD NEWS :D !

·
Registered
542 Posts
Gamz said:
which is also the year F1 will travel to Sout-Korea for its first race in the Asian country.
dahak said:
isn't Japan included in Asia??
My guess is you are refering to that statement. It says THE Asian country, meaning the first race in South Korea, not all of Asia.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I wouldn't get to excitted about it, car companies get alot less innovation from formula 1 than they do lemans. Whens the last time you saw a 3.8L V10 that screams to 18,000 RPM in a street car?

·
Resident Mechanical Engineer
1,848 Posts
Nocturn said:
I wouldn't get to excitted about it, car companies get alot less innovation from formula 1 than they do lemans. Whens the last time you saw a 3.8L V10 that screams to 18,000 RPM in a street car?
No, but the technology learned from optimizing those supercars then trickles down into street cars. If not for performance, then for safety, fuel economy, or comfort.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
yeah, dtm, lemans and such push the technologies more..

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Nocturn said:
of course you wont find a street car revving to 18k rpm anytime soon but f1 tech is definitively filtering down to road cars , just look at how many top end cars are enjoying V10 instead of the classical V12 , just a few year later after the F1 ntroduction:
-Bmw M5/M6
-Lambo Gallardo
-Audi S6/S8

expect more V10s in the future

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hands down best part would be to be able to get a hyundai racing jacket and not look like a dumb *** and be able to have pride while wearing it. I have owned several Hondas and wearing a Honda Racing jacket can offer some respect. Hyundai racing jacket offers some laughs as of now.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
special_fx said:
of course you wont find a street car revving to 18k rpm anytime soon but f1 tech is definitively filtering down to road cars , just look at how many top end cars are enjoying V10 instead of the classical V12 , just a few year later after the F1 ntroduction:
-Bmw M5/M6
-Lambo Gallardo
-Audi S6/S8

expect more V10s in the future
True but everyone of those companies also offers a better, more effeciant, V12 version.

I don't doubt the merrits of a V10, but the V12 is known as the most stable, fluid, and smooth engine for a reason, The crankshaft of a V12 is perfectly balanced in itself, not so on a V10.

Frankly i'm not sure why F1 uses V10s. But I would like to see a rule-less racing league, maybe then we could see some new engine dynamics being used, none of this banning AWD or Rotary nonsence, just some safety rules, and it has to be a production car.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I dont have the numbers from the top of my head but am pretty sure both BMW and Audi/Lambo V10s have beter volumetric efficiency that their V12 counterpart, I will go and check it out.

The main reasion behing the regulation change to use the new V8 instead of the V10 is to slow down the cars and limit power.

Why a V10 and not a V12?
Back then in the 90s , when the turbo cars were banned , manufactures had to to resort to sky high revs to make more hp, and with the V12 you had the ability to rev higher without braking something because you have to complete 12 piston travels to do a revolution your mean piston speed is lower than , say a V8 or a V6.

But the V12 was heavy, larger and have more internal friction than V8(increasing fuel comsuption and robbing power ), you have more valves , longer crankshafts/cams that are subject to more torsional stress, etc

On the other had the V8 was ligther, more compact with less internal friction but couldnt rev as high.

In modern Formula 1 high revs is the key to make more power after the turbo ban, so the higher you rev , the more power you make.

Thus the V10 was born as a perfect compromise with the ability to rev to 18K + while being almost as light and small as the V8, thats why the V10 displaced the V12 from Formula 1 and become such as succeful engine. Even hardcore V12 follower like Ferrari had to admit their V10 was better.

But now technology has improved and our current next generation of V8 are able to rev just as high as the last V10 and am pretty sure that as technology and research improve they will only generate more power and leave in the dust the V12 of the 90s...

However am wondering with current technology how high a V16 could rev?? 25K rpm? 30K rpm?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Well the V16 uses the same crank as a V8 with just double the cylinders,more or less, so I doubt it would increase revs that much as it would add as you said, slower piston speeds.

But the V10 also requires additional balance shafts making it heavier than a V8. I would like to see some official specs on engine weight etc. Because with that logic they would switch to even smaller V6s that rev higher than V10s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts