Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heeey guys so long story short my timing belt broke my boss who is a great friend of mine and is even helping paying for it had it taken to his friend who owns a mechanic shop now I’ve been told luckily only a few valves were bent so new belt + new valves all good but my question is understanding that when this happens the valves crash into other parts should I be concerned about any other damage the engine might have or will it not drive the same when this initially happened I was at a stop sign car was driving fine and as I was starting to accelerate at probably around 1500 rpm’s is when the car died I only ask here because these types of friends mechanic situation it’s hard to get straight answers I don’t have the car yet but I was told it’s almost ready to be picked up lol

· Registered
3,238 Posts
What happens is the pistons slam into the valves, and usually the valves lose that battle. There could possibly be some damage to the piston heads, but it may or may not be enough to even notice.

That said, you should have come on here sooner so we could tell you to have the water pump, tensioner, and pulleys replaced while they're in there. Parts cost is not that much and the "extra" labor is minimal while they're in there.

Going forward, replace that belt every 60k miles or 5 years (personally I go by miles and just check it once in awhile if it's over 5 years old).

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,374 Posts
The pistons may have a little damage but for a N/A car making less than 200WHP at the wheels, it will work fine with a fresh set of valves. Here's an example of the indentations left on the pistons from a motor with only 67k miles on it, but a 10 year old belt:

Liquid Automotive tire Wood Cuisine Recipe

Rebuilding the heads is quite expensive so it's often cheaper to swap a junkyard motor than it is to dive into the heads like that. Just make sure you stick to a good brand like Gates or Continental for your complete timing/waterpump kit. Should cost you no less than $150 for a genuine Gates kit. There are a lot of fakes out there on ebay and even Amazon so buy from authorized Gates vendors! No matter what your mechanic says, don't let him sell you on different brands.

· Administrator
9,550 Posts
@alexb90.....punctuation is free on ANY website/forum. I'm not a grammar Nazi, just it makes it easier to read and understand.
If posting from a phone, I know it's harder to do....but, should be done.....

Anyway, I can look at a timing belt and say "it looks good" at 20 years old, but it may break the next run.
I can also look and say, "it's ready to fail".
Rubber bits have miles AND age limits....this is all belts, hoses, etc. Yes, even the rubber lines from the chassis to each wheel.....think about it. Anyone that stretches age limits, good luck. I have refused jobs when someone brings me an old but unused belt and wants it installed. The cost of a belt (maybe $20-50$) is a LOT cheaper than dead on the side of the road, missed plans, cost for the tow and shop, inconvenience of no car, possible rental, etc.

A TB break on an interference engine (which is a LOT of engines last 30 years) at lower revs is bad. A TB break at high revs is REALLY bad since rotating momentum causes more damage.
If they pull heads, they should be looking at piston tops and head combustion chambers. Minor stuff can be cleaned up to good effect for a fairly stock power DD (daily driver).

Great your boss is helping, please remember this when he throws a curve at you (odd job, odd hours....whatever).

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol sorry about no punctuation. Thanks for the feedback this was my fault. I need to keep up on the maintenance better. But yea piston damage is what I’m most scared about. Is it possible because It broke when I was at low rpm’s and only the valves hit each other and not the piston?

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,374 Posts
Is it possible because It broke when I was at low rpm’s and only the valves hit each other and not the piston?
The valves won't hit each other on our motors. The valve angle and lift is not aggressive enough for the intake and exhaust valves to make contact.

· Administrator
9,550 Posts
The valves won't hit each other on our motors. The valve angle and lift is not aggressive enough for the intake and exhaust valves to make contact.
Agreed, most common on most engines is valve to piston hits. Bad enough also hits valve to combustion chamber if you bend a valve far enough or break it off the stem.
Piston hits will leave marks, likely even dents. If not smoothed out a bit can lead to hot spots and detonation. Bad dents can crack pistons and bend valves.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sooo here’s a lil sit-rep. I asked the mechanic if there was any piston damage he said no. Of course if that’s the truth or not I don’t know. But I can say that so far as I’ve been driving it I haven’t noticed any problems it drives perfectly. I don’t hear any weird noises. The only issue I have right now is suddenly my right windshield wiper isn’t moving lol I can’t seem to catch a break.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts