Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an accident with my beloved Tibby few days ago,
My car seems to be totaled form the insurance point of view, and I do agree with that.

I have owned my Tibby for ~4 years now, it is an 03 GT V6 6-sp, loved every single time I turned the key.
Originally bought it from someone who had it sitting for 3+ years, and after purchasing it, I had to go through the whole shebang,
New struts, plugs, wires, rotors, pads, shifter cables, flushing everything, timing belt, going over every single system in the car.
It ran like a brand new car.
"Performance" mods included an Injen SRI, and a 4" eBay catback exhaust which sounded soooo good!

What hurts the most that the accident was not my fault at all, a 83 year old fella swerved into my lane doing 10 mph, while I was doing ~45.

I am eyeballing Gen Coupes now .. 3.8 and stick for sure, but still between BK1 or BK2.
Car Land vehicle Wheel Sky Tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive parking light

Registered
Ouch not cool man. Hope you're ok after that and people will say it's just a car but us Tib guys know better...

Administrator
Sucks.......hope your're OK.
Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Registered
I just had an accident with my beloved Tibby few days ago,
My car seems to be totaled form the insurance point of view, and I do agree with that.

I have owned my Tibby for ~4 years now, it is an 03 GT V6 6-sp, loved every single time I turned the key.
Originally bought it from someone who had it sitting for 3+ years, and after purchasing it, I had to go through the whole shebang,
New struts, plugs, wires, rotors, pads, shifter cables, flushing everything, timing belt, going over every single system in the car.
It ran like a brand new car.
"Performance" mods included an Injen SRI, and a 4" eBay catback exhaust which sounded soooo good!

What hurts the most that the accident was not my fault at all, a 83 year old fella swerved into my lane doing 10 mph, while I was doing ~45.

I am eyeballing Gen Coupes now .. 3.8 and stick for sure, but still between BK1 or BK2. View attachment 137509
View attachment 137510
View attachment 137508
Sucks..wanna get rid of ECM

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sucks.......hope your're OK.
Good luck with whatever you end up with.
Thanks Charlie, I am mostly okay, my right leg was injured a bit, but mostly gone by now.

The stupid insurance company evaluated my Tibby at $2,000 and even having the courage to tell me that this is a generous offer since my car is a manual transmission, has no value, and no one will buy a manual car anymore.
Not accepting their estimate at all of course. will see where it goes from here.
Might check with some auto accidents lawyers locally here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One funny thing ..

I was telling the adjuster about my car, and did mention "sports car" and she aggressively interrupted me with "no sir, your car is not a sports car, stop referring to it as such, I have been an adjuster for 15 years, your car is just a Hyundai"
and I asked her what is a sports car, she responded "something like a Mercedes or a Lexus"
so I asked her what is a luxury car, and she said "some Mercedes and Lexus are luxury cars too"

At that point I just stopped arguing because I knew what kind of person I am talking to.

Registered
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
Sorry for your loss!

When I bought my car back in 2008 my insurance company charged an arm and a leg because it was a V6 coupe "sports car." They insured it as if it was a middle range sport coupe. However, when it comes time to count their beans they'll do anything to pay out less and insult you for thinking it's worth more. I hope you can get a better pay out to get you into your next vehicle!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Little update:

Final negotiation with insurance company yielded $2,800,
which sounds fair until I remember that I literally just changed the AC compressor and brakes/rotors 3 weeks before the accident.
Anyway, no point with arguing with them anymore 馃様
Ended up buying this beauty few days ago (still missing my Tibby though 馃檨)
M112 Mercedes 3.2L V6 with 6-speed manual.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Gear shift

Registered
Insurance quotes are based off blue book value, which is very low on these cars. Blue book values them just as low as any other 2000s Hyundai even though they often sell for significantly over kbb price in decent shape.

Registered
you should buy the car back and part it out here

Never never never ever let the insurance company take any car. ALWAYS buy it back.

What happens is, you end up paying out more in insurance than the vehicle is actually worth. Then when you total it, they give you as little as possible. Then the car gets put through the auction where the majority of the time is purchased by people in other countries where vehicle salvage laws are laughable, rebuilt, and resold. The car is usually purchased for more than they paid out in insurance.

OR, a second scenario, the vehicle is totaled when it shouldnt be, purchased locally again for more than they paid out, rebuilt with minimal parts and sold as salvage rebuilt.

Ask me how i know....

Auctions like Copart and vehicle insurance are the biggest scams in this country next to social security.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you should buy the car back and part it out here

Never never never ever let the insurance company take any car. ALWAYS buy it back.

What happens is, you end up paying out more in insurance than the vehicle is actually worth. Then when you total it, they give you as little as possible. Then the car gets put through the auction where the majority of the time is purchased by people in other countries where vehicle salvage laws are laughable, rebuilt, and resold. The car is usually purchased for more than they paid out in insurance.

OR, a second scenario, the vehicle is totaled when it shouldnt be, purchased locally again for more than they paid out, rebuilt with minimal parts and sold as salvage rebuilt.

Ask me how i know....

Auctions like Copart and vehicle insurance are the biggest scams in this country next to social security.
I do agree with you about buying the car back from the insurance company.
I've done that in the past, and it is always the better end of the deal.
But as per my current circumstances, I do not have the time nor the space to get my beloved car back to do anything to it (including parting out) 馃様

Registered
I kinda like the Crossfire but I'd have to have the convertible since I agree with Jeremy Clarkson when he said the coupe just looks like a dog going "number two".

But as long as you like it....

Registered
Sooo, I have one that I just turned over, my fault, pride the only thing injured besides my very own personal lil hand-me-down go cart, that I loved! It was my daughter's first car, we got for her 16th! She had it 6 months hit a "washboard" bump on curve, in the rain, hit the ditch! Messed up the bumper, split it in 2 places, flapped horribly at 15mph plus, so I removed it!! 馃憖 OOMMAAAGGGGGAHH,
that was over, she left it parked and I refused to buy a bumper for her ungrateful arrzzz!! There it sat after my son "HELPED ME 'FLUSH MY BABY'S COOLING BLAH BLAH, (I'm clueless, hence agreeing to "let him help me!), my camaro convertible; cracked head!!!! TOOOO much $$ to fix at the time, SOOO I Became a Tibby, since one was in my yard, legal, completely paid for & ORPHANED!! Just had no bumper!!! AWAY I WENT, FOR THE LAST 4 DANG YEARS!! I LOVED IT! But if I gotta spend that much time & cash to fix something, IT'S GOTTA BE MY BABY, THE OLE RED, MY CAMARO! So like my brat daughter said so freely, after she found out I was ok,
"LATER TIB, RIP DUDE, U CAUSED ME GRIEF!" She said!!! Lol!!! Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

2007 Gs Stick

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I kinda like the Crossfire but I'd have to have the convertible since I agree with Jeremy Clarkson when he said the coupe just looks like a dog going "number two".

But as long as you like it....
I do have a convertible (1976 MG Midget), I was intentionally looking for a coupe.
So far I am enjoying it.
got used to the little extra power, and having RWD back in my life was a welcomed change.
Just gave her the toothbrush treatment this past weekend. took me 2 hours to go over ever nook and gap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts