Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright a while back i installed my cat back, and it's a little loud. My Gf often complained, that my 6 month old baby's ear drums could be damaged. So i added the silencers, and it damn near sounds like stock. I would like to add headers to my setup, how loud would it be with silencers. Anyone done this b4, please let me know..

·
Registered
114 Posts
It will be a lot louder, what headers are ya talkin about?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm running GReddy catback w/silencers, and didn't notice any increase in loudness when I added some SSA v2 headers...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
It will be significantly quieter with silencers even with headers. I had the early OBX catback behind my headers and it was too loud, and I used the adjustable silencers and it toned way down. I have a dc exhaust now behind my headers with no silencers and it sounds great.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
To keep it a happy medium for both you, her, and the baby
Add a magnaflow cat when you hook up the headers and keep them silencers in.

·
Former Staff
3,336 Posts
I have 2 young children, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

I have I/H/E and I have my silencers closed most of the time, and open when I want a bit more free-flowing exhaust. I have SSA silencers and they can be opened and closed rather than putting them in and taking them out. When they are closed, the sound is louder than stock, but not so loud that I can't hear my kids talking to me from the back seat.

What you need to do to keep the exhaust as quiet as possible, while maintaining the free-flowing characteristics. Here is my setup

SSA Headers -> MagnaFlow-Cat -> MagnaFlow Resonator -> SSA Exhaust
....................................................... (SSA Resonator Cut out
....................................................... and the MagnaFlow
....................................................... Resonator welded in)

If you get headers you MUST GET the Magnaflow Cat, because it will be unbearably buzzy without it, and (to my ear) unbearably loud. The Cat will remove 90% of the buzziness, and a lot of the noise, and in my setup the Magnaflow resonator got rid of that last 10% of buzziness and really deepened the tone of the exhaust.

·
Registered
298 Posts
ok I have a question I have ssa v2 catback and an aem cai!!! I'm looking into getting a set of headers but I'm not sure wich brand I should get. Can you guys reccomend some to me!!! also I want to know how much hp n average does I/H/E add to a tib I know this may sound dumb but I'm tyring to learn and I am slowly but surely!!! thanks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
aLiEn_sPoReZ said:
I have 2 young children, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

I have I/H/E and I have my silencers closed most of the time, and open when I want a bit more free-flowing exhaust. I have SSA silencers and they can be opened and closed rather than putting them in and taking them out. When they are closed, the sound is louder than stock, but not so loud that I can't hear my kids talking to me from the back seat.

What you need to do to keep the exhaust as quiet as possible, while maintaining the free-flowing characteristics. Here is my setup

SSA Headers -> MagnaFlow-Cat -> MagnaFlow Resonator -> SSA Exhaust
....................................................... (SSA Resonator Cut out
....................................................... and the MagnaFlow
....................................................... Resonator welded in)

If you get headers you MUST GET the Magnaflow Cat, because it will be unbearably buzzy without it, and (to my ear) unbearably loud. The Cat will remove 90% of the buzziness, and a lot of the noise, and in my setup the Magnaflow resonator got rid of that last 10% of buzziness and really deepened the tone of the exhaust.
lol all that work... just don't buy SSA crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts