Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was curious if any of u rock stars out there can tell me what kinda boost levels i can expect to get with a .58 ar on the compressor side and .90 on the impeller side! here is a pic of the garrett turbo i have, it looks enormous!!!! but i dont think the Ar's are that bad but im not shure!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
well...regardless of what the turbo can put out, you're only going to be able to put so much into the engine...you're not planning on cramming 30psi into your block...are you??

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
thats a pretty big turbo for a 2.7 liter. but you never know till you bolt it on

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i wana max at 9psi with a full ECU reflash, just comparing it to others on the garrett website it seems like this is comprable to there larger GTR turbos example GT3076R
for an evoX has a .60 compressor/ and.94 ar impeller so what im thinking that the perfromace should be somewhat close!! again my ar's .58 compressor and .90 on the impeller side! note this is also a VGT turbo that can change the impeller to make a better AR

oh yeah! payed 70$ for a near new turbo !:3_winkthu:3_winkthu

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah and this is going into rear under my car, i decided to build it as a sattalite system, any ideas on what and where i can get a dry sump 12volt pump im gonna cut a small part of the inner fender and put that turbo in there and run my air filter behind the rear bumper, and ill remove the crash pad!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
thats a pretty big turbo for a 2.7 liter. but you never know till you bolt it on
LOLWUT

I actually want to buy that turbo, just a bit smaller impeller side.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
is this a DD car.. putting the turbo in the rear just doesn't seem practical for a DD car. I saw them to it to the camaro and it just seems like your sucking up water if it rains at all. I would like to see it done tho. GL with everything

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
They put bigger turbos on 2.0l DSMs

i wana max at 9psi with a full ECU reflash, just comparing it to others on the garrett website it seems like this is comprable to there larger GTR turbos example GT3076R
for an evoX has a .60 compressor/ and.94 ar impeller so what im thinking that the perfromace should be somewhat close!! again my ar's .58 compressor and .90 on the impeller side! note this is also a VGT turbo that can change the impeller to make a better AR

oh yeah! payed 70$ for a near new turbo !:3_winkthu:3_winkthu
Your only gonna run 9psi on this turbo??? I don't know how efficient that turbo will be at such low preassure. Maybe you should've looked into something smaller.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i see only one major problem with this, the STS is mounted on the support housing of the exhaust muffler , this beasts wieghts something like 40 lds, this unit is gargauntal! theres no way that they can support this turbo, waste gate, and all the tubbing that! so im thinking im going to weld it right to floor pan ill use a flextube that can bend probbaly a 8" flex!!! one! then something like a true dual set up because the the turbo flange has 2 t3 flange side by side so i it would only make sense 2 have true duals and then run 1 1/2 tube for the air charge pipe, now with the synapse bov i have i was told that sense its a pull type piston and will actuall run open in a vacum until boost hits, i was told by synapse that these work well on low boost apps because it cuts down on lag, now thats what they said!! not shure as ive never know anyone thats used a syanpase chime in on thoughts!

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i was also under the impression that i could relpace that rear impeller housing with something thats has the same size impeller im not shure but if i could shrink that rear housing by like 20% there at least 10 lds of cast iron back there that i dont need!! any thoughts on that!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I think you should just put it in front.

STS isnt the way to go on our cars...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont think i can stuff that big bastard up front, i just dont think theres room, and the weight issue is another factor, the unit has to move with the engine so i can solid mount it, but theres no way under a hot load could standard t04 mild steel tubbing could support, at least i dont think so, ive never fabbed it up before i cant say for shure, but sense all things are possibe nothings ruled out!

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
You my friend have bought a paperweight in the pursuit of cheap power. Just because the turbine A/R is small doesn't mean the stock delta engine is going to be able to create enough exhaust energy to spool that HUGE turbine wheel. Plus did you even look at the CFM rating at 9psi for that turbo?

This is what I predict will happen if you choose to install that turbo on your stock engine. You will have copious amounts of lag till about 6k rpm when all 9 pounds of high CFM boost will hit your engine like a freight train. You'll crap your pants and have a HUGE smile till you hear a loud bang and your engine seizes.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
i dont think i can stuff that big bastard up front, i just dont think theres room, and the weight issue is another factor, the unit has to move with the engine so i can solid mount it, but theres no way under a hot load could standard t04 mild steel tubbing could support, at least i dont think so, ive never fabbed it up before i cant say for shure, but sense all things are possibe nothings ruled out!
Thats how every other tib has done it, of course it can be done.

But yea, as dmd said, your getting alot of lag, and at low psi, your probably just boost for a second.

Mine is .83 and i get crap about it even though it boosts fine though.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah thats why its setting on ebay right now! good thing i got it so cheap, if i recoup or come close to getting what i got in to ill be happy!, its not like ive thrown away money before like a more darker period in my life when i put atleast 3 very fine upstanding strippers though college, sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield!!
oh well:3_confuse

1 - 20 of 26 Posts