Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the short story...

I have an "early" 2003 Tib V6 6 speed.
Only modifications done at the time of vehicle death...
Custom exhaust (cat back)
Ebay CAI
Ground wire kit
Oil bypass
Engine mount

Heres what happened..
April 14th 2006
Driving home one night, cool and dry about 5 miles total.
Started from a stoplight and felt no power, even at WOT, the car wouldn't go past 30 mph.
Engine quit while rolling, rolled into parking lot, tried to restart the engine, nothing.
Opened hood, checked everything, closed hood called AAA and arranged to have it towed to dealership who sold me the car (big mistake!)
Figured it was a fuel pump issue or something. Called the dealership the next day, asked what they found, they said "water in my oil"
I do not beat my car and hadn't driven in rain with the CAI yet.

- Now a quick story about this dealership in Minnesota, 'Morries"
Was there several times with nothing but problems with my car, they hated me and tried to get me to pay for everything, I was not having it though, long story short, they did not like me, I did not like them.

So after actually showing up with Kellydood and threatening to contact a lawyer, the dealerships' maganer got involved, they basically lied right to my face and said they never found water in the oil but would not know what happened to the engine unless I ok'd a "total engine tear down".
Knowing that it was not something I did, I agreed thinking they were going to eat their words.
They called me back the next day and told me this... Exact words---

Over time, my cold air intake sucked up enough water that was able to find its way into the cylinders and "steam cleaned" the walls and caused my lubrication system to fail and fry the rings.

I know, BS!

So I got a lawyer, a lemon law expert. He took the case and after deposition after deposition and 7 months later, I finally settled.
For a meazly $5500.00 I know I should've tried for more but after 7 months and a lawyer who basically gave up at the end, It was better then nothing.

Moral of the story, do not let a dealership screw you!
If you have to bring your car in for something engine related, take off as much of the aftermarket stuff as possible, it will give them less to blame on you.
Nice thing about this lawsuit and the laws in Minnesota, since this settlement was related to the engine and engine only, if I need a 4th clutch ( yes had mine replaced twice already only 50k miles.) I still have legal recourse.

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
Good for you. More people need to stand up for their rights, maybe we wouldn't have so many issues with dealers. I don't mean just Hyundai dealers either.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Congrats, I am glad you won!..
So, did you sue the dealership, or Hyundai itself?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anthony718 said:
Congrats, I am glad you won!..
So, did you sue the dealership, or Hyundai itself?
Just Hyundai. The law in Minnesota would have had me to prove that the dealership caused me damages which is almost impossible to prove. The damages they caused me were to my wallet after i had to pay over $600.00 for the engine tear down.

I really don't like the dealership (note the avatar)

A bunch of fellow Tib owners here picketed the dealership on what would have been a busy day for them, I think I earned my $$ back by turning away a ton of business that day. Now that the lawsuit is over, I may be able to post some video of that day.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Good 4 u!!!!!!! Some people will stand up for their rights!

·
Registered
112 Posts
my dealership took advantage of me.....
they thought i was stupid or something
luckly i let them get away w/ all the **** they did...
but im never going back aggain

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sorry you had to go through all of that man but good for you that you came out on top!

Dealers suck.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
good job standing up to them, and good job with the picketing, you should make it your weekly meet out there lol, go there picket with your cars, have a bbq, would be fun. there was a guy who hired someone to picket a RV place until they fixed his rv under warrenty, the picketer was out there every day for about a month before the rv place lost so much buisness they almost went under so they caved and fixed the rv lol

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,480 Posts
Haha... my bud Trevor just took his car into the dealer because his lights are dimming. We installed footwell neons after it started happening but before he took it in.

After checking it out for a whole day, they put in a new alternator, because they said the neon install was fine. When that doesn't solve the problem, they put in a new BCM. Still nothing. Then they call Hyundai for 2 hours (reportedly) to decide it is the neons. They charged Trevor $200 for the phone "labor" time, and ripped out the neons. They ran the car, said everything was fine, and returned it to him.

So everything's ok- acording to them. He paid them $200 for them to take his neons out after they tried to rewire them correctly for him. So he's driving home and his lights start flickering- not dimming anymore, but flickering.

So he brought it to my house to remove the loose wiring that resulted when they litereally ripped the neons out. I find both the positive and negative of both neons, along with power from the cig lighter, all connected to a wire that is grounded. DEE DEE DEEEE.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
tiburongirl22 said:
my dealership took advantage of me.....
they thought i was stupid or something
luckly i let them get away w/ all the **** they did...
but im never going back aggain
Yes they do try more with females than with guys. You should go back but stand your ground the next time so that they learn their lesson. If more of us do it perhaps it might inspire them to try it less, or at least less with those that do challenge them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
congrats. :3_nosthum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts