Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was browsing threw the local car ads when I spotted a older eclipse, the arrow looking one I dont know what year... So anyways it says the car has a crap load done to it, upgraded the turbo to a t3/t4 and the guy says it should run 11's or 12's all day long no problem.. Its a brand new engine but he says it wont pass emissions because of the turbo but does that make sense? Anyways the car is 2500 bucks, I am really going to have to figure out how to get it...

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
At $2500 why do you have to trade the Tib... just buy it and have two cars.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Sounds fishy to me. "SHOULD run 11's or 12's" means that he put alot of money and parts into it that should produce 11's or 12's but it doesn't and he can't figure out why. Any Eclipse that actually does run 11's or 12's would be worth alot more than $2,500 in my opinion unless it's a stripped out bucket. Plus, if it doesn't pass the sniffer test, you won't be able to legally drive it daily.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Check it out and take it for a drive......you got nothing to lose!!! But like they said above.....dont sell the tibby. Its a pain in the A$$ and expensive to have a 11-12 second car be a daily driver

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have an 11 second daily driver. not a pain in the butt but it is expensive if you break something. mines a honda of course. 11 sec hondas are reliable while 11sec DSMs arent. I wouldnt get that eclipse, especially from a lot. there could be numerous things wrong with it. I doubt the salesman knows everything about it. Could have a motor about to crank walk, turbo could have blown seals, could have minor damage, you never know. Id stay away. :/

·
Registered
364 Posts
Chemik said:
I have an 11 second daily driver. not a pain in the butt but it is expensive if you break something. mines a honda of course. 11 sec hondas are reliable while 11sec DSMs arent. I wouldnt get that eclipse, especially from a lot. there could be numerous things wrong with it. I doubt the salesman knows everything about it. Could have a motor about to crank walk, turbo could have blown seals, could have minor damage, you never know. Id stay away. :/
Well i meant that if your going to have a 11 sec car as a daily driver and you want it running good all the time, there is going to be some constant wrench time and tuning espeacially if your living in an area that has huge difference in climate do to seasons. You seem like the person that would have no prob wenching on your car all the time. My point is that some people out there want a fast A$$ car but dont want to do the work to maintain it. Does that make sence or am i way off????

·
Registered
364 Posts
05GT said:
At $2500 why do you have to trade the Tib... just buy it and have two cars.
Hey 05GT.....did you get your headers put on yet??

·
Registered
364 Posts
staw512 said:
sounds like a peice of ****
Yeah.....buyer beware!!!!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Chemik said:
I wouldnt get that eclipse, especially from a lot. there could be numerous things wrong with it. I doubt the salesman knows everything about it. Could have a motor about to crank walk, turbo could have blown seals, could have minor damage, you never know. Id stay away. :/
I agree man.....

Plus they are ugly as hell

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Bangalang said:
Hey 05GT.....did you get your headers put on yet??
Nah,
It wont' be for a while. I'm waiting for home state plates to show up...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bangalang said:
Well i meant that if your going to have a 11 sec car as a daily driver and you want it running good all the time, there is going to be some constant wrench time and tuning espeacially if your living in an area that has huge difference in climate do to seasons. You seem like the person that would have no prob wenching on your car all the time. My point is that some people out there want a fast A$$ car but dont want to do the work to maintain it. Does that make sence or am i way off????
yea I hear what youre saying. I did all the wrenching on mine. and keep wrenching to keep it in tip top shape. turbo cars are def needy cars. lol. I only drive it on the weekends now since I got the tibby. man im enjoyin this car a lot more than I thought I would. :) im going to do a photoshoot of it this weekend an post pics :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Runs 11's or 12's,but only want 2500 for it... Really fishy. Even if it is a 1g dsm, thats too little. When I was looking for a 2g AWD dsm I knew someone with a 6 bolt swap and gt35r upgrade, the kid wanted at least 10k for it. If the guy doesn't know what it runs, its not running 12's or 11's, he's bullsh!tting you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Chemik said:
yea I hear what youre saying. I did all the wrenching on mine. and keep wrenching to keep it in tip top shape. turbo cars are def needy cars. lol. I only drive it on the weekends now since I got the tibby. man im enjoyin this car a lot more than I thought I would. :) im going to do a photoshoot of it this weekend an post pics :)
Hey man...post some pics or your ride...or both. Do you do Autocross with your CRX at all?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had a eclipse 98. .. Traded it for the tib. Don't buy the car. I can vouch for it. No way it's running 11's and 12's without some serious work. And even so like the guys said before If thats the case then you'll still need a daily driver cuz it won't be street legal.

Not to mention all the problems that come with a DSM turbo. I don't know about whatever year you have but my generation had serious probs with the turbo cuz the oil pump thinga-majig would crap out at anytime and you'd suffer from crankwalk. Happen to my one friend and he had to get the whole engine, trans and a whole lotta other **** rebuilt! Then again he beat the **** out of his car

·
Registered
898 Posts
Kitsune said:
I had a eclipse 98. .. Traded it for the tib. Don't buy the car. I can vouch for it. No way it's running 11's and 12's without some serious work. And even so like the guys said before If thats the case then you'll still need a daily driver cuz it won't be street legal.

Not to mention all the problems that come with a DSM turbo. I don't know about whatever year you have but my generation had serious probs with the turbo cuz the oil pump thinga-majig would crap out at anytime and you'd suffer from crankwalk. Happen to my one friend and he had to get the whole engine, trans and a whole lotta other **** rebuilt! Then again he beat the **** out of his car
Yeah I know so many people who suffered from crankwalk. The 1g never suffered from that . I think the 94 was the best year to get. It had the 6 bolt motor and the 4 bolt rear end i think. I would have gotten a 2g dsm, but then i know i would have spent a sh!t load of money because i was not going to keep the stock motor. I would have gotten a JDM 6 bolt from an Evo 3 to avoid crankwalk, then compliment it with a Evo 3 Big 16g, and then i would just dump a huge amount of money into supporting mods. This was when i was looking at my first car in 03, and I had 10 grand of my own money to spend, but that wouldn't have gotten me that far with a GSX. They wanted like 8 grand for a 5 speed with 50k miles and then i would only have 2g's left over for goodies. Not enough to buy me a 6 bolt, 16g, 3" 02 housing back exhaust,etc and install.

96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok check it out heres the link, I am tryin to work a deal with the guy.. He says he has to pay a 1200 dollar ticket by nov 12th thats why he is tryin to get rid of it really fast I am in process of workin a payment deal with him if all else fails... I may be able to pay for the tib and that car at the same time ....

http://reno.craigslist.org/car/229251035.html

tell me what you guys think now that I posted the link...

·
How do you change this?
1,883 Posts
A few things throw me off but 2 really stand out
1. is how he mentions you can get a part on ebay
2. is this "mods modified modifications fast kit"

Eclipses are notorious for ricers tricking them out the WRONG way and breaking stuff. He sounds like a ricer to me. Sooo that would scare me off that he did put some big parts in there but it could be done wrong and a car with goodies that doesnt run is just a piece with goodies on it. I would be wary man, maybe have it checked out by a shop that knows DSM and especially ones with mods or as he put it the "mods modified modifications fast kit". lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts