Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently searching for parts for a i4 turbo setup. In this topic i will ask questions and post updates. (My car is 2002 i4 map non-cvvt LHD.)
I am looking towards 250-300hp.

Questions *updated 28-7-2022
1 What kind of spark plugs should i get? I heard about colder plugs but i'm not really sure what to get. i currently have Bosch FR8DII33X.
2 What clutch do i need and where do i find one?
3 What injectors should i get?
4 What turbo specifications should i look for?
5 Do i need an external MAP sensor?
6 is this wb af sensor kit good enough? https://www.amazon.com/Wideband-Sen...75&sprefix=Wideband+o2+sensor,aps,167&sr=8-12

Other parts i still need.
Fuel delivery system (5th injector or added fuel rail) ??? idk if i need this
Intercooler
Charge piping
Blow off valve
Boost/vac gauge
Oil feed hose and restrictor
Oil drain hose (tap oil pan or block)
Coolant feed kit (if required by turbo)
Any parts i forgot to list?

Parts i already got/know what to get.
Poly engine mounts.
Turbo Manifold.
Downpipe (i will get one made with a cat converter welded to it)
Tuning/remapping i found some tuners within 200 miles. as soon as @chase206 finds out how to read/write to my ecu this will be done.

If anyone can link me other parts that i need and will fit. *listed in this post ----> The definitive Boost your Beta Thread I would like to hear it.
Any suggestions tips and other information is also welcome.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There’s plenty of clutch options.
Clutchmasters FX300 FX400 would be ones to consider. U can do the clutch conversion kit for more clamping pressure.
There’s other clutches like centreforce, action clutch, ACT, Spec.

For the turbo don’t use a cheap Chinese one, go with a brand name. Precision entry level turbos are pretty well priced like the 5431 and 5831.

Injectors that drop in fit should be Nissan 350z, 370z R35 and Evo 10. Maybe 450-600cc sizes

That wideband looks like an AEM clone. I’d spend the extra and get a genuine one or a brand name one. A/F ratios and critical, I wouldn’t trust a no name one.

For the plugs, my tuner told me to get one stage colder so I went with NGK BKR6-11or u could go 2 stages colder.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ur driving style will also depend on what clutch suits u best. If ur going to be doing track days and drag racing ur best off with a 6 puck ceramic or look into the push type clutch conversion. If ur only going to cruise around town and give it the occasional pull maybe a heavy duty organic would suit or the FX300. Most decent clutch kits are around $500.

Have a read of some old threads on here regarding plug temps. It’s a bit of a mixed review with some using stock plugs and most using heat range 6 and 7. I’ve read copper plugs are better for boost than iridium so I went with copper.

What turbo manifold do u have ?

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,165 Posts
i got this clutch reccomended Hyundai Tiburon -1999 2008-2.0L | 05087-HDFF it seems really expensive.
Also clutchmasters does not ship outside the us i think.
I would like if someone can link me a flywheel and clutch.
as fors spark plugs i need to decide between NGK 6988 BKR7EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug and NGK 3764 BKR6EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug They are the same but one is heat range 6 and the other 7
SPEC and ACT are good brands. See if any of them ship to your country and select a non puck style clutch that will hold the power/torque figures you're targeting. I'm using a SPEC stage 3+ with Fidanza flywheel on my V6 which is overkill for my target of 300WHP with a stage 3 supercharger... But it's a non puck style disc so it can still be daily driven OK.

I would go with heat range 2 steps colder (bkr7eix-11) if your target is around 300WHP with the turbo. You would also want to close the gap up a little bit from the OEM 0.044" down to around 0.036" at that power level. That's the approximate specs we use on the stage 2 supercharged V6 for 260-270WHP. Do a little research and see if anyone else with a turbo I4 used for their plug specs. BTW The heat ranges for NGK go the opposite direction:

NGK Iridiums:
OEK plugs: bkr5eix-11
1 step colder: bkr6eix-11
2 steps colder: bkr7eix-11

Here is a neat infographic for NGK's specs and part number correlation: Credit goes to Mr.Tibbs for sending me this a few months back:

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Number

Reactions: thijsp

·
Registered
78 Posts
SPEC and ACT are good brands. See if any of them ship to your country and select a non puck style clutch that will hold the power/torque figures you're targeting. I'm using a SPEC stage 3+ with Fidanza flywheel on my V6 which is overkill for my target of 300WHP with a stage 3 supercharger... But it's a non puck style disc so it can still be daily driven OK.
I almost went with a spec stage 2+ for my build. Not being in the US makes it a fairly expensive purchase by the time u pay exchange rates, shipping and import taxes. Same goes for Clutchmasters.

I ended up going with an Exedy HD organic stage 1. It’s local to me, It feels great, a bit heavier than stock and u can def feel the grab but not sure how it’ll hold up to about 200-230hp. I’m only shooting for 10psi or so.

The spec is still fine for everyday driving ? How’s it compared to stock ?

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,165 Posts
I almost went with a spec stage 2+ for my build. Not being in the US makes it a fairly expensive purchase by the time u pay exchange rates, shipping and import taxes. Same goes for Clutchmasters.

I ended up going with an Exedy HD organic stage 1. It’s local to me, It feels great, a bit heavier than stock and u can def feel the grab but not sure how it’ll hold up to about 200-230hp. I’m only shooting for 10psi or so.

The spec is still fine for everyday driving ? How’s it compared to stock ?
I'm still installing my SPEC stage 3+ So I haven't driven on it yet. @Rushking19 has been driving on it with his N/A so could probably comment on how it drives.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have a spec stage 3+ it's unsprung also so no springs to dampen engagement. But the stage 2+ is sprung I recommend you getting a stage 3 or 3+ and converting to push type clutch it helps the clutch hold on the i4 engines. The stage 3+ on my v6 isn't too bad on street driving. The pedal feels like stock when you press on it but the engagement is harder then stock for sure but with practice you can leave off without having a rough engagement or slipping the clutch to much. It is a little bucky at times bit far better from how bad performance clutchs in other cars are for street driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts