Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Stock there is a big difference. The 4 is easier to mod with a Turbo. There are superchargers out for the V6 but most people who are very serious about speed would rather go the I4/turbo setup. Personally, I like the supercharged V6.

I used to be from Philly (Mayfair). Where are you located? What dealership are you looking to buy from? The insurance will be more on a V6 in PA.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
soCo said:
I grew up in frankford.
moved about 6 months

live in the suburbs so im hoping insurance won't be to bad now.
Ditto. I moved out of the city in March. The insurance did drop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The v6 is a 2.7 liter no? compared to whatever the i-4 is. I would say displacement would be your biggest difference. More displacement = more torque period. And oh yeah perhaps some fuel mileage too...

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Wannascooby said:
The v6 is a 2.7 liter no? compared to whatever the i-4 is. I would say displacement would be your biggest difference. More displacement = more torque period. And oh yeah perhaps some fuel mileage too...
Yes, the V6 is a 2.7L but that is actually considered a small V6. For example, the Nissan V6 in the Maxima, Altima, etc. is 3.5L.

The Tib's 4-cylinder is a 2.0L.

However, it's not just displacement that makes the difference. Displacement alone doesn't make more torque. Torque comes from stroke length. The longer the crank stroke, the more torque an engine can make. The shorter the stroke, the higher/quicker the engine will spin. That is an over-simplified explanation of torque.

·
Registered
898 Posts
NovaResource said:
Yes, the V6 is a 2.7L but that is actually considered a small V6. For example, the Nissan V6 in the Maxima, Altima, etc. is 3.5L.

The Tib's 4-cylinder is a 2.0L.

However, it's not just displacement that makes the difference. Displacement alone doesn't make more torque. Torque comes from stroke length. The longer the crank stroke, the more torque an engine can make. The shorter the stroke, the higher/quicker the engine will spin. That is an over-simplified explanation of torque.
So according to you, the reason my 2.4 makes more torque than hp besides the turbo, is because of my longer stroke, and also the reason that my car can safely only spin to 6250rpms without a built motor.. correct?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I would go with the 2.7l V6....

The best way to find out though is by yourself....

I went to the local dealership and i beat the piss out of both the I4 and the V6

Take them both as long as you need to and then make your decision.

You will pick the V6 for the extra power and for the mods (more for a V6)

The V6 sucks on gas, I dk about the I4 but I don't care

Good luck

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
DarkSouledSRT said:
So according to you, the reason my 2.4 makes more torque than hp besides the turbo, is because of my longer stroke, and also the reason that my car can safely only spin to 6250rpms without a built motor.. correct?
Go back and re-read what I wrote. I said nothing about torque vs horsepower. What I said was torque is more related to stroke length, not just displacement. In other words, when comparing 2 similar displacement engines, the one with the longer stroke will generally have more lower rpm torque while the one with the shorter stroke will generally rev faster and higher.

And if you think 6250rpm is high, try 8200rpm of the 1.8L Toyota 2ZZ-GE. The 1ZZ and the 2ZZ Toyota engines are good examples. Both are 1.8L but the 1ZZ has a slightly longer stroke and smaller bore than the 2ZZ. The 1ZZ has greater low-end torque but redlines at 6500rpm while the shorter stroke 2ZZ makes more horsepower and revs to 8200rpm.

Turbos are known to create torque on all types of engines so I left that out of the equasion.

·
Registered
898 Posts
NovaResource said:
Go back and re-read what I wrote. I said nothing about torque vs horsepower. What I said was torque is more related to stroke length, not just displacement. In other words, when comparing 2 similar displacement engines, the one with the longer stroke will generally have more lower rpm torque while the one with the shorter stroke will generally rev faster and higher.

And if you think 6250rpm is high, try 8200rpm of the 1.8L Toyota 2ZZ-GE. The 1ZZ and the 2ZZ Toyota engines are good examples. Both are 1.8L but the 1ZZ has a slightly longer stroke and smaller bore than the 2ZZ. The 1ZZ has greater low-end torque but redlines at 6500rpm while the shorter stroke 2ZZ makes more horsepower and revs to 8200rpm.

Turbos are known to create torque on all types of engines so I left that out of the equasion.
So basically the longer the stroke, the more low end it can produce, but cannot rev as high, but with a shorter stroke, it produces less torque, but can rev up higher

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
DarkSouledSRT said:
So basically the longer the stroke, the more low end it can produce, but cannot rev as high, but with a shorter stroke, it produces less torque, but can rev up higher
Yep. Torque has to do with the leverage of a longer stroke crank while RPM has to do with the distance the piston moves and the speed it has to travel.

Assume 2 similar displacement engines: one has a 4" stroke while the other has a 3" stroke. The engine with a 4" stroke has a longer lever to turn the crank. If the piston makes the same force against the crank it has more leverage and hence more torque. However, the piston has to move 4" while the 3" stroke engine has less leverage but only has to travel 3".

RPM is the speed of the crank so at 1000-rpm both engines have the crank spinning the same speed. However, the pistons in the longer stroke engine are moving farther and hence, faster. Think about it. For every crank rotation, the 4" stroke engine has the piston moving 4" down and 4" back up. That a total diatance of 8". The 3" stroke engine has the piston moving 3" down and 3" back up. That a total diatance of 6".

That's for 1 rotation. At an idle speed of 1000-rpm, the cranks are spinning 1000 times per minute. For the 4" stroke engine, that's 8000" per minute. For the 3" stroke, that's only 6000" per minute. That means at 1000-rpm, the pistons in the 4" stroke engine are moving at 7.6 mph and the pistons in the 3" stroke engine are moving at 5.7 mph.

That doesn't seem like much but lets raise the rpms to 6000"
4" stroke engine = 45.5 mph piston speed
3" stroke engine = 34.1 mph piston speed

That means, at 6000-rpm the pistons in a 4" stroke engine move at a speed of 45.5 mph for 4 inches, stop, reverse direction and go 45.5 mph back up for 4 inches, stop, reverse direction again and repeats the process. But the pistons in a 3" stroke engine move at a speed of only 34.1 mph for 3 inches, stop, reverse direction and goes 34.1 mph back up for 3 inches, stops, reverses direction again and repeats the process.

It's that piston speed that limits the ability to rev faster and higher. Other things like piston and valvetrain weight also have alot to do with it but all things being equal in the 2 engines, the longer stroke crank will have more low RPM torque but a lower RPM redline.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Well, considering that my tib sucks up half a tank just getting to school and back every week... and its 2 miles away.

V6 - 6 speed

·
Registered
256 Posts
komokazi said:
Well, considering that my tib sucks up half a tank just getting to school and back every week... and its 2 miles away.

V6 - 6 speed
OoO I agree I have a V6 6-speed to. My old car used to be four cylinder and quite frankly I'd pay a little more for gas just to have more pep. . but thats me. . . .

·
Registered
558 Posts
gas mileage is one thing... but if you have a heavy foot, what's the point in gas milage? hahaha

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
here are the MSRPs

GS - 16,095
GT - 18,595
GT Limited - 20,595
SE - 21,195

so even at the cheapest you save 2,500. I havent priced any of the turbo kits for the beta but I think with 2,500 you could do some damage in the beta.

EDIT: alpines turbo kit costs 2750, so I'd be 250 bucks shy of the turbo kit.

they also have an entry level kit with a T13 for 2400, so it looks like one could get a turbo I4 for the same price as a V6. Also the kit guarantees 65 hp and 83 tq at least.

·
Registered
465 Posts
go with the V-6 if you want power stock
go with the I-4 if you want to turbo later on

both are go platforms to mod it just depends on which way you want to go

1 - 20 of 37 Posts