Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so now that I have the cash (again) for a new system, I was kinda thinking about this...

12" Kicker solo X

Kicker ZX2500.1 Amp

I have someone custom building a box for me, and I have a optima yellow top battery for this...

Are there any suggestions before I go and lay my money on this?

I already have replaced my other speakers and headunit, so thats not a problem. I just finally wanted to replace 2 kicker solobaric l5s with sometihng a bit more powerful, because one finally died on me, and I dont feel like getting another one, but with something a bit new. I thought this would be perfect, its loud (my friend has one in his trans am) and I like it alot. So I decided to go with this setup.

But, I am not entirely sure, so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Uh, first of all I'd check how much current that amp pulls. My guess is over 100A even with its class d design. 4 gauge might be ok, but definitely check in case you need to go bigger.
Second, your optima battery wont do jack to help your current needs. Your alternator is the sole provider of power while the car is running. You will need to upgrade.
The cap wont help your current needs. In fact, a cap is a load on the system. It will definitely serve a purpose to stiffen the voltage to the amp. You want at least 2.5 farads.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, so I guess ill just go pick up a new alternator (200A?)

Will it matter if I just used 0 guage?

And ill go get a 2.5 farad capacitor.

Anything else?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
playtilithrtz said:
well for wiring go with 4gauge and i suggest getting a cap. 1 farad should be more than enough.
..general rule of thumb: 1farad for every 1000watts

..or am i wrong?

since your going all out with your system, might as well go balls out with the wiring too, get a 0 ga. wire. The box for that sub is going to have to be rediculously huge, but its gonna pound your nuts off anyways. GL w/ the install, cant wait to see the finished set up :3_bier:

·
Dave: NT Admin
2,768 Posts
I would definitely go with 0 gauge. That is what I ran and I have two kicker 1200.1 amps. I've always heard the same rule with the caps and that is 1 farad for every 1000 watts like was already stated.

·
Registered
533 Posts
komokazi said:
Alright, so I guess ill just go pick up a new alternator (200A?)

Will it matter if I just used 0 guage?

And ill go get a 2.5 farad capacitor.

Anything else?
Let me know what you go with for an alternator. Most aftermarket ones need custom fabrivating of the brackets and pulleys. Its not an easy job. Forget about rewinding the stock alt, cause that doesnt really provide any benefit.

If you are going with a new alternator, then I'd definitely go balls out and run 0 gauge. That will future-proof it once you decide you want another 2500.1.
For caps, 2.5 is all you technically need, but Tsunami makes a 20 farad cap thats only $200 on ebay. Grab one of those, its a great product.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, sounds good, ill grab one of those :D

Ill most likely get started next weekend (after this one) because I need a ride to school/work every day, and Ill get that weekend off to do this.

BTW, the box does take up the entire trunk, with a 1" clearence from the hatch when closed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
that's how my box is....takes up the whole trunk. i myself am running a 12" solo baric with a made box by myself and a buddy. takes up the ENTIRE trunk. but yours will sound mucho bueno.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts