Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I tested the rock auto starter. That starter is fine, the original tested good and sounded really unhealthy and did need replaced soon anyway. I have a new battery also.

The windows arent slow going up, the dome lights dont dim when i hit the key, the headlights go off when i hit the key but thats normal i believe. When i turn the key, the starter solenoid hits but the starter doesnt start the car.

2003 gt 6 speed
raceland coilovers
z23 carbon fiber/ceramic brake pads
18x7.5 +40 offset MB Lovan wheels
225/40/17 tires
clear corner headlight mod
ebay CAI pipe and k&n filter
shark racing sts
delrin shift linkage bushings
aluminum shifter base bushings
slave cylinder mod
ngk wires and ngk laser iridium plugs
new stabilizer bar bushings and endlinks

·
Administrator
8,873 Posts
Sooooo......do you have a "no crank" now or "no start"?????

If you didn't see it, I sent a PM.....

·
Registered
2003 GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sooooo......do you have a "no crank" now or "no start"?????

If you didn't see it, I sent a PM.....
I will definently call at some point, ill try to kep it here as much as possible. I honestly dont know how to state it any clearer. Everything is normal with the car until i turn the key all the way to the start then the starter solenoid clicks but the starter doesnt crank the motor. Let me try a videohttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5dfd596890755/20191220_172826.mp4

2003 gt 6 speed
raceland coilovers
225/40/17 tires
shark racing sts
slave cylinder mod

·
Administrator
8,873 Posts
Watched your video.....wife's Tib not here now....I agree with dmdicks.....find a way to bypass ignition switch for start.....turn key on, try cranking with bypass.....what happens?

·
Registered
2003 GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Watched your video.....wife's Tib not here now....I agree with dmdicks.....find a way to bypass ignition switch for start.....turn key on, try cranking with bypass.....what happens?
I just ordered a new ignition switch for 11 bucks. I had a friend come and put a tester on the car. The battery tests at 12.5 volts sitting there with the car off, the starter tests 12 volts until you turn the key to start and it drops to around 2 volts. When we pushed the car into the street and popped it off with the clutch, the battery and starter both had 14 volts while the engine was running. Ive had probably a total of 4 people, not including the 3 or 4 people on here, keep going back to the ignition switch. Im updating as much as i can on the car and bringing it all back to new anyways so i dont mind buying an 11 dollar part and doing the work to see if its the fix i need.

2003 gt 6 speed
raceland coilovers
225/40/17 tires
shark racing sts
slave cylinder mod

·
Administrator
8,873 Posts
The large voltage drop at the starter removes the ignition switch from things......the ignition switch provides battery voltage to the starter solenoid (on the starter) which is the "big switch" to provide power to the starter motor.
Could be bad battery/starter connection, could also be a failing battery cable.....either one. Sometimes you get corrosion within the battery cable insulation....usually either the cable "bubbles up" or gets real stiff.
Cheap test is use jumper cables in parallel to battery cables from battery to chassis and starter....try cranking again.
Again, call if need be....

·
Registered
2003 GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So from battery to a ground like the pic or do i need to find a better ground? then from the battery to starter connection with the big power wire on it correct?

2003 gt 6 speed
raceland coilovers
225/40/17 tires
ebay short ram intake pipe w/ k&n filter
shark racing sts
torque solutions shift linkage bushings
slave cylinder mod
new timing belt and water pump
new tps
new pcv
new idle air temp sensor and connector
new idle air control valve

·
Administrator
8,873 Posts
Sent PM.....basically....yes.....use jumper cables to bypass/help existing car wires.....jumper cables can help battery ground to chassis as well as main feed to starter.......
Biggest voltage load is cranking.....the rest can work (reasonably well) with crappy wire or connections.....PS....thumping megawatt sound system is different and not needed to start/run...I don't care about that....
Not issue here.....start/run is main thang....dudes.....

·
Registered
2003 GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sent PM.....basically....yes.....use jumper cables to bypass/help existing car wires.....jumper cables can help battery ground to chassis as well as main feed to starter.......
Biggest voltage load is cranking.....the rest can work (reasonably well) with crappy wire or connections.....PS....thumping megawatt sound system is different and not needed to start/run...I don't care about that....
Not issue here.....start/run is main thang....dudes.....
My car is ran for a 2000 watt system but totally disconnected except where they doubled up from battery to a second ground. So i should a have good ground from the battery at 1 of 2 points id think, but ill clean them well. My main concern is the wire from battery to starter, and the signal wire from ignition switch to the starter.

2003 gt 6 speed
raceland coilovers
225/40/17 tires
shark racing sts
slave cylinder mod
new tps
new pcv

·
Registered
2003 GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Im leaning very heavily toward running a momentary on secondary switch/button to power the starter and just using the key to turn it all on. I actually like the idea of my key not starting the car unless you know where my starter button is. I have 2 roommates so disabling it in a roundabout way so they cant try to take it while im asleep or anything isnt a half bad idea anyway.

2003 gt 6 speed
raceland coilovers
225/40/17 tires
shark racing sts
slave cylinder mod
new tps
new pcv

·
Registered
337 Posts
Im leaning very heavily toward running a momentary on secondary switch/button to power the starter and just using the key to turn it all on. I actually like the idea of my key not starting the car unless you know where my starter button is. I have 2 roommates so disabling it in a roundabout way so they cant try to take it while im asleep or anything isnt a half bad idea anyway.

2003 gt 6 speed
raceland coilovers
225/40/17 tires
shark racing sts
slave cylinder mod
new tps
new pcv
? Good idea ..

I have been out for a week for christmas .. any new updates?

·
Registered
2003 GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Good idea ..

I have been out for a week for christmas .. any new updates?
No real change as of yet. Ill go thru the list of things ive done. Ive replaced battery, starter, idle air temp sensor and connector, tps, idle air control valve, ignition switch, cleaned the grounds down to bare metal, trued bupassing the wire from starter to battery positive and from battery negative to the encing block and still nothing. Ive got voltage drop at the starter when you try to crank it which is indicating a bad wire.

2003 gt 6 speed
raceland coilovers
225/40/17 tires
shark racing sts
slave cylinder mod
new tps
new pcv

·
Registered
2003 GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
And it starts!! I didn't do anything either. I know Charlie is right about bad terminal or bad wire now without a shadow of a doubt. I was procrastinating because i dont like messing with electrical systems. Yesterday i went to turn the key to the on position to pop start it and had no dash lights, no door chime, nothing. I wiggled the positive terminal and bam, power came back. Today i was driving it, had the revs hang on me again, so i pulled over, disconnected my negative terminal, let it sit for 5 minutes and then pop started it with the clutch to get it home. After i backed in the driveway, just for s**ts and giggles, i tried to start it and it cranked right up. Did it 2 or 3 times in a row then wouldnt do it again until i went and moved my Positive cable. All the times ive worked on it i cant tell you how many times ive moved those cables and it never showed me any sign of change until today

2003 gt 6 speed
raceland coilovers
225/40/17 tires
shark racing sts
slave cylinder mod
new tps
new pcv

Reactions: Charlie-III

·
Administrator
8,873 Posts
LOL.....every now and then, the pig finds a truffle.....

I tried to give good tests to narrow the issue....bad cables can create all sorts of issues...
Happy New Years.....

·
Registered
2003 GT
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
LOL.....every now and then, the pig finds a truffle.....

I tried to give good tests to narrow the issue....bad cables can create all sorts of issues...
Happy New Years.....
I tried and tried to get a change to no avail. It just never showed and change when i messed with the wires. Its like after it had another episode where the rpms hung up on it, it started working again. Your tests definitely did lead me the right direction though.

2003 gt 6 speed
raceland coilovers
225/40/17 tires
shark racing sts
slave cylinder mod