Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to do a DIY and.. i heard a wierd noise.. Please give me a call asap... 602 999 4274.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
well, thats not a whole lot of information. what were you workin on?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im doing the trunk neon DIY... and I cut the wires to my trunk light and it made a wierd noise... (normal?) and about to connect the wires I got some quick splices but there are no directions on how to use them...

None of my interior dash lights work because i cut these two wires to the trunk light...

·
Registered
571 Posts
The noise you heard might have been you grounding out the system if you forgot to disconnect the battery first.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, all my interior lights wont work, and the radio wont turn on.. any way to fix this or?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and the noice happens when i turn on the car, but everything else powers up, the dash lights, the head lights the noise that my doors open...

·
Registered
321 Posts
blown fuse probably

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
yea, just keep in mind, whenever workign with any electrical stuff, or doing anything to yoru engine, its ALWAYS a good idea to disconnect the battery...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you don't de-energize the circuit you're working on or disconnect the battery, and you cut through a neg & a positive at the same time, you just shorted that circuit out. Check your fuses.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Justin said:
well, all my interior lights wont work, and the radio wont turn on.. any way to fix this or?

You blew your BCM fuse. Its located in the fuse panel section to the lower left hand side of the steering wheel. The fuse is a red 10amp and is in a yellow housing located all the way to the left of all the fuses. Pull out the yellow tab then the fuse will come out. Any type of electical work you do you should alway disconnect the ground cable on the battery to be on the safe side.

Daniel

·
Former CIO
10,258 Posts
seems like everyone already answered ur question correctly so i am just going to be a post whore.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, you probably tried to cut through both wires at the same time, your cutters would short out the wires and blow your fuse. Its a fairly easy mistake to overlook. Its always a good idea to cut one wire at a time, and to cover bare wires with tape whenever you can.

·
Registered
494 Posts
the comment no one has really made yet, and I think it's important.....

1) if you don't know to disconnect your batter when doing electrical

OR........

2) if you don't know to cut one wire at a time if you don't do #1.......

then you shouldn't be touching anything electrical on your car.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
the thing that gets me if that he got quick splices and still cut the wires .
the great thing about the splicers is that you dont need to cut the wires , so for future reference ,here's how they work .
when you look at them they are basically 2 plastic tubes side by side .when you look even closer you will see 3 sides of the tubes are open , on is closed .you take the stock wire and lay it in the tube that is all the way open ,then you get your new wire and stick it in the tube that is closed on one side as far as it goes . you might wanna get some channellocks for this next part . you close the little plastic lip untill it snaps into place and then there should be a little metal piece sticking out of the top of the splicer .squeeze this in with the channel locks untill it sits flush with the plastic body .
when you put the metal piece in it wil cut into both wires alowing current to run trough both of them , thats how it works .

its alright for you to try and broaden yer skills but anything electrical or explosives related i would strongly suggest you get someone who knows what thier doing to guide you trought it .

one more thing , if you ever wanna do a decent job splicing wires you dont use quick splicers you strip the wires ,kinda braid them together and solder them .if at any point you cut the wire use heatshrink tubing ,if you cant use that get some electrical tape .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts