Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about moving my battery to my trunk just for space reasons under the hood. so I thought, all you audio guys do that all the time.. isnt it bad to do that because of some gas that the battery puts out while its charging? I have the factory hyundai battery...

·
Banned
257 Posts
umm never heard of that before in my lifetime!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
they can leak and if u relocate them u need to put them in a special box i believe.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,495 Posts
I'm 99% sure that's not true at all...

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
If you have a unvented wet battery in a closed space such as your trunk you run a big risk of explosion. That is why most use a optima dry cell for the trunk.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all of them say in there that lead-acid batteries produce hydrogen as a by-product of charging. so if the battery is in the car then its going to leak hydrogen gas into your passenger compartment.. I'm not so sure I would want to relocate a battery to my trunk unless its a gel cell anymore

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
yep, coincidentally, i asked T.C. about this about a month ago since i've also heard of it and he said that it's true,

he said that the only batteries that dont do it are dry cell batteries like Optima batteries.

but if you dont want to get an optima you can get a sealed box with a hose that will vent the gasses outside the car, dont know how effective they are though

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
MoogLe said:
yep, coincidentally, i asked T.C. about this about a month ago since i've also heard of it and he said that it's true,

he said that the only batteries that dont do it are dry cell batteries like Optima batteries.

but if you dont want to get an optima you can get a sealed box with a hose that will vent the gasses outside the car

Exactly.. do it properly and get a sealed box for the trunk to hold the battery and run the hoses for proper ventilation.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Any battery can be used, but you need to use a sealed box with a vent tube that routes to the exterior of the cabin.

Every nhra-legal relocation kit will come with the proper seals and vent tubing.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya unfortunately our stock batteriers dont come with the vent tubing. I sure wish they did though because I would have had my battery in my trunk by now. instead I have to save up for an optima battery :(

·
Banned
434 Posts
just for the record optima batteries are *gel* cel not dry cel batteries. They still have the possibility of gassing when they charge but because the resistance in thecells is MUCH higher than a wet cel battery it takes pretty extreem heat to make this happen.

I wi be relocating y red top to the trunk in the next couple of weeks for weight distroution purposes.

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
The tubing is not integral to the battery. The box has a lid with a rubber seal. The holes for the +/- wires go through grommets and then a vent tube runs from the side and you route it to a hole in the body that will vent the gas to the outside. The vent tube is to keep the fumes from building up in the box and to also protect the driver from constant, though minimal, exposure.

Here, this is my set-up for the probe:

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
antiquity said:
just for the record optima batteries are *gel* cel not dry cel batteries. They still have the possibility of gassing when they charge but because the resistance in thecells is MUCH higher than a wet cel battery it takes pretty extreem heat to make this happen.

I wi be relocating y red top to the trunk in the next couple of weeks for weight distroution purposes.
yea, my bad :)

c-man, where did you get that box?

·
Swim away fishes...
5,421 Posts
Summit. Its the Moroso box. NHRA-legal. They only come blue, but I painted it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts