Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out during my Friday from Hell from someone that just completed vehicle inspections class an important fact:

If you live in NC, SC, VA, WV, TN, and GA there is a new law going into effect January 1. This was passed by a joint action of all states legislatures. If your window tint will not pass inspection and you get stopped for a windows tint violation the penalties have gotten rediculous. Your first offense is $250 fine, second offense is $700 fine, and your third offense is......30 days in jail! I cannot remember if he said over a 1 year or 3 year period of time. I was still in awe over the fines!

Here is the retarded part: This law ONLY applies to cars. If you drive a truck, SUV, Multi-purpose vehicle, minivan, etc. then you can have the tint as dark as you want on any of the windows. When he told me this, my jaw just dropped. Police are targeting cars and not SUVs??? He said the reason for this was because too many officers are getting guns pulled on them so what better way to curb that problem than by putting hefty fines on the perps. Sorry, but a guy in an SUV can pull a gun just as quick as someone in a car can! :3_frusty:

Personally, I think that its a crock...but I thought you all should know and be aware. I did some checking on the internet and could not find concrete evidence but that might be because the law hasn't gone into effect yet. Anyway, just an FYI!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
these f0cking redneck states are so retarded, bunch of imbread southern accent billybobs. even in the richest most expensive areas theres always a hick bastard cop that is a prick. and wtf is up with these courts. these focks dont dismiss sh1t. in fl man i remember you can get away with anything. i miss those days. btw inspections are a joooke, another way for more corrupt bs "techs" to hustle you out of some dollars.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AMEN to all of the above! Even if you can find someone to inspect your car, you still gotta watch out for Mr. PoPo. Keep your windows down. If I could have found someone to inspect mine, I could have avoided my ticket. BUT...if you have someone that just slides you a sticker, you gotta have someone else send your proof of inspection in to the DMV to prove your emissions passed. I hate to say it, but as the years go by, this emissions crap is gonna get a lot worse anywhere here in the states. It is slowly filtering its way here from Cali.

·
Registered
349 Posts
tint doesnt matter in miami... at first i was worried whenever i saw a cop i would at least row the windows down half way.. but seriously no problems.. i see a cop at least every day as i drive to work and he doesnt so much as look at me

i have 5% btw

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I got pulled over in my CRX which had ridiculously dark tint (10% rear quarters/5% rear window) and was given the tint check - of course I'd had the car for five years at that point and never had a hassle about it before (car was tinted before I bought it) - and the cops explained that aftermarket tint darker than a certain level was illegal. Factory-installed tint like on SUVs was OK. They saw that I didn't see the logic in that and admitted that it didn't make any sense but them's the rules.

And in the case of all rules, if you don't like it you can either ignore it and face the consequences or try to get it changed by going through your legislative representatives. Me, I'd love darker tint than what I have but I don't want to risk getting hassled so I do the legal 35%. If I had darker I'd probably at least try and contact a member of my state legislature just to see if he could try and explain why 20% tint is OK on a Yukon but not on a Tiburon. I bet he couldn't, and maybe that might get the wheels in motion.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Consider yourself lucky In RI no Aftermarket tint at all. Fines and penalties aren't that bad and not all cops will give you a problem for it but the olny way to get around it is if you know an eye doctor they can write you a note saying you can have it as dark as you want.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
they have a similarly stupid law over here.

Here, any kind of tint is illegal, EXCEPT for factory tinted glass which are common on many SUV's

so if you have an SUV with DARK glass, that's just fine, but if you have a car with the LIGHTEST possible tint, you get fined.

thank god the fines arent very much, i think between $50-$100

Last i heard, they just now set a limit on the darkness of factory tinted glass, but it's still allowed while DIY tinting isnt.

it's just ****ing BS if you ask me.... you really think that if the guy was intending to pull a gun, the fact that his car is not tinted would make him not do it?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I dont see why SUV's dont have to have a limit... yes the driver can pull a gun on a cop... but there could be at least 6 other guy's in the back with guns also... that is just retarted to what law's some people pass. I think im going to get mine retinted to legal limit just so i dont have to put up with the BS.....

·
Registered
986 Posts
nice post .. that is some ********. i guess if your not actin a fool like most younger kids these days in soupd up cars with dark tint .. then you'll be ok

i have had 20% tint on my tibby and now on my gsx eclipse and never been pulled over for that. seems to be just as before if the cops a dick than he's going to be a dick. most are pretty laid back these days in Va anyway

·
Registered
571 Posts
SuperSaiyan said:
Here is the retarded part: This law ONLY applies to cars. If you drive a truck, SUV, Multi-purpose vehicle, minivan, etc. then you can have the tint as dark as you want on any of the windows.
It's always been that way with the tint on SUV's and vans. We don't have inspections in SC or GA, so unless you get pulled, tint level is not a problem. And then, it's not a problem unless the officer has a meter.

As far as factory tint goes, it also applies to cars here. If your car is factory tinted at 20%, then it's legal.

Another interesting thing is that until very recently (the last year), if you were registered out of state, GA couldn't do anything about your tint level. They have now revised their legislation though and it applies to vehicles registered in any state. So, if you have darker than 32% (I think that's the limit in GA, don't quote me on it) and your passing through on your way to FL, you can be pulled for it. I believe it is a primary violation as well (but again, don't quote me on it, I"ll have to check again) meaning they can pull you over for the tint and not have to have anything else.

FYI, seatbelts are now a primary violation in SC too... it used to be that if you weren't wearing a seatbelt, there was nothing they could do unless you were speeding or had a light out or something. I always wear mine anyway, but I believe you should have the choice of whether you want to wear it or not.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
they prolly are talking on back windows. in new york u can ahave any tint u choose on the rears. but u cant have any tint wat so ever in the front.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
qbytiburon said:
they prolly are talking on back windows. in new york u can ahave any tint u choose on the rears. but u cant have any tint wat so ever in the front.

NOPE. I clarified that little detail when I was talking to the new inspector fellow. Any windows on a Multi Purpose vehicle, SUV, etc.

Cuz....I thought the same thing you did. Which I why I asked and got so irritated.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Danin Re' said:
FYI, seatbelts are now a primary violation in SC too... it used to be that if you weren't wearing a seatbelt, there was nothing they could do unless you were speeding or had a light out or something. I always wear mine anyway, but I believe you should have the choice of whether you want to wear it or not.
Different states have diff. laws regarding tint and crap. Must be nice to be in one of those good states! But obviously, after reading some of these replies, some of the states have even MORE strict policies than we do. Geez, it's just window tint!

In NC, seatbelts have been mandatory for years now. I think most states are moving to that law. I also think that should be the choice of the driver. There is a $100+ (actually closer to $200 I think) fine for not wearing one and the District Attorneys WILL NOT drop them. When in doubt...click it or ticket around these parts!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
When I got my tint last year here in GA the tint shop advised me that "at that time" there were no tint laws,,,however the state officials were pushing for 32%,,,and they asked me if I'd like to go darker or
stay within the legal limits, it was my option. I opted for the 32% just to be safe,,,,and since the Tib has
a black interior it actually looks darker,,,but will pass the tint meter just in case I'm stopped. However the
only time I actually get looks from cops is when I'm visiting friends in the country,,,,,,but they do that to everyone that's not from their town. "we don't take too kindly,,,,,"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts