Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'04 GT...Been Having an intermittent problem with my son's Tib...

When inserting the key in the ignition and attempting to turn the key
(Hyundai Dealer Purchased) It will not turn or otherwise unlock the steering wheel, etc.

In an effort to eliminate some variables regarding this issue, I squirted some "Lock-Ease" graphite based lubricant directly into the key slot . I inserted the key in and out several times and then turned the
key clockwise to the "ignition-on" position. Did that several times and could not get it to fail after that. (BTW...the steering wheel was not in the "Locked" position when this all happened, but in attempting to get the key to turn initially, the steering wheel did lock.)

Has anyone here experienced this issue? Did a search here but nothing came up.

Any help is Greatly Appreciated...Thank You!

Best Regards,

Tony :blacktan:

·
Super Moderator
8,607 Posts
I have had issues with locks in other peoples cars in the past.
I have not had lock issues in any of our cars over the years.
I routinely use Lock-Eze in all locks (ignition, doors, trunk, house, etc.) 1-2 times a year.

Yes, squirt the lock, key in & out ~6 times, resquirt the lock, twist lock CW & CCW ~6 times.
Remove key & wipe off.

As to the "new key", was it "code cut" off the VIN, or "copied" off an older existing key?
The reason why is that the blank means little, but using an old key to make a new key just means you have a fresh copy of a worn key>:D. The key is designed to wear 1st as it tries to save the lock.

If you buy a car new, make a "pristine master" that you can use years later to make fresh & new copies.
If you have a used car & worn keys, you really have 2 choices.
1-Get a key "code cut", but it's not real cheap and not a lot of places do it.
2-Replace the locks and keep a "pristine master", but this can get expensive and take a lot of time.
:nerd2:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had issues with locks in other peoples cars in the past.
I have not had lock issues in any of our cars over the years.
I routinely use Lock-Eze in all locks (ignition, doors, trunk, house, etc.) 1-2 times a year.

Yes, squirt the lock, key in & out ~6 times, resquirt the lock, twist lock CW & CCW ~6 times.
Remove key & wipe off.

As to the "new key", was it "code cut" off the VIN, or "copied" off an older existing key?
The reason why is that the blank means little, but using an old key to make a new key just means you have a fresh copy of a worn key>:D. The key is designed to wear 1st as it tries to save the lock.

If you buy a car new, make a "pristine master" that you can use years later to make fresh & new copies.
If you have a used car & worn keys, you really have 2 choices.
1-Get a key "code cut", but it's not real cheap and not a lot of places do it.
2-Replace the locks and keep a "pristine master", but this can get expensive and take a lot of time.
:nerd2:
Thank You Charlie-III for the Rapid response! :cool:

Looks as if we are both on the same page with this,eh? :grin2:

I guess time will tell!

As for the key...Yes VIN generated...Worked first time/every time after I had it cut.

Thanks Again, Brother 'fer the info...Stay in touch, Chazz!

Best Regards,

Tony :blacktan::blacktan:

·
Super Moderator
8,607 Posts
Since you have a "pristine master", you can get copies made at lots of places. Keep that one stashed away and don't use it except to make new keys.

Otherwise, yeppers, we're on the same page.:grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
'04 GT...Been Having an intermittent problem with my son's Tib...

When inserting the key in the ignition and attempting to turn the key
(Hyundai Dealer Purchased) It will not turn or otherwise unlock the steering wheel, etc.

In an effort to eliminate some variables regarding this issue, I squirted some "Lock-Ease" graphite based lubricant directly into the key slot . I inserted the key in and out several times and then turned the
key clockwise to the "ignition-on" position. Did that several times and could not get it to fail after that. (BTW...the steering wheel was not in the "Locked" position when this all happened, but in attempting to get the key to turn initially, the steering wheel did lock.)

Has anyone here experienced this issue? Did a search here but nothing came up.

Any help is Greatly Appreciated...Thank You!

Best Regards,

Tony :blacktan:
Hi everyone I have a 2003 Hyundai tibroun gt v6 2.7 my steering wheel won't unlock n I have the key I tried everything n nothing how do free the steering wheel freely where I can turn it can anyone help me please I have my car at some people house n if don't move it they said going to get a lean on my car I need help any one out there that can help it's my first car don't want to lose it

·
Super Moderator
8,607 Posts
Have you tried turning the steering wheel a bit while turning the key?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I broke off the steering wheel lock so no more lock lol but car will turn over but not start idk what to do I hella need help bad real talk. Anybody out there can help me out I really will appreciate it. I ran a the the diagnostic and no codes came up not one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts