Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I spun a bearing on the tib and now have a rod knock....... -_-................. FML. And I have not found a single thread anywhere showing a step by step or a DIY of a removal with a A/T. My buddies shop has all the resources to do it, and luckily I've found a replacement motor locally here with 15k miles on it. But, we are wondering if it is easier to pull the motor up out of the engine bay, or to drop it down through the bottom and raise the body around it. Also, worried of running into problems with torque converter, etc. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Pull it up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You need to drop the cradle. Engine and trans as one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lessaj, any problems pulling.out? Is it going to be a huge pain getting the automatic around brake ooster etc? I ve seen some of the diy pulling the motors to replace clutch, but the manual tranny looks a lot smaller and easier to maneuver. Btw, i scored a motor locally with 26k on it, for $600

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Shouldn't be too much harder, just remove the radiator to get some more clearance. If you need a tiny bit more clearance, remove the bracket for the front motor mount from the transmission since it sticks out quite a bit.

You don't even really need to use a lever, I never did, but it might be a bit easier with one. I just tied a rope to keep the transmission somewhat level, but you really don't even need to do that.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
You need to drop the cradle. Engine and trans as one.
This is much harder to nigh impossible, especially with the amount of salt used on the roads this far north. I know that I personally can't remove my subframe because the 2 front bolts are so rusted. I've pulled the motor and trans as one several times up and out.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you're not replacing the transmission, leave it in and just pull the engine.
Remove 4 Torque converter bolts,
8 bolts holding engine to transmission,
2 bolts on the center bearing bracket,
and front motor mount.
Might be an easier way, but that's what I did.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
If you're not replacing the transmission, leave it in and just pull the engine.
Remove 4 Torque converter bolts,
8 bolts holding engine to transmission,
2 bolts on the center bearing bracket,
and front motor mount.
Might be an easier way, but that's what I did.
Still not worth it, much easier to mate the engine and transmission outside the car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is much harder to nigh impossible, especially with the amount of salt used on the roads this far north. I know that I personally can't remove my subframe because the 2 front bolts are so rusted. I've pulled the motor and trans as one several times up and out.
Oh i understand salt here i Wisconsin.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
torque converter will have to be re-attached to the transmission>then to the motor correct? and thanks for the help guys. Picking up the motor tomorrow or Wednesday. plan to start the swap this weekend. I want my tib back! lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts