Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 3/4 mdf box in my car with 2 10" kenwood kfc-w 's, I'm trying to remove some weight from the car and i though that I sould start with the system. If anybody has ideas on this...

Thanks in advance.

·
Lighting and Accessories
10,436 Posts
Well, go fiberglass! That box is probably pretty heavy...

·
I
1,319 Posts
JL Audio's 13TW5 is extremely light and extremely loud. It's a 600W woofer and the enclosure only has to be .8 cubic feet. And the woodfer weighs less than 20lbs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
get rid of back seats!!!

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
i utilized my spare tire compartment. love it in weight and performance aspect

·
Registered
424 Posts
that enclosure from everything car audio isn't going to be simple or lightweight..... the front fascia was 2 layers of 5/8 MDF....
anyways.... if you'd like i can make you a full fiberglass box... most i have mailed out are around 9-10lbs.... significantly lighter than any MDF box.... search my name or audioaddiction for pics and such or pm me and i can price one out for you.

Mark.

·
Registered
80 Posts
dude, go with the shallow mount jl audio driver subs, they are extremly light and will beat!!! i had 2 12's in my silverado with a slim box, and it was dazzling when people thought i had 2 15's back there.

·
Registered
840 Posts
has anyone made a box for an 18" enclusure

·
Worst Overall NT Member of 2010
6,782 Posts
like i tell everyone else....

for every 100lbs you take out, you gain about 1/10th of a second

·
Registered
147 Posts
Saving weight in your audio systems has it's trade offs. Lightweight, fiberglass enclosures resonate a lot so if you're going for sound quality, I would recommend against that option. You can do a custom box out of carbon fiber but that will be way expensive. What are you trying to achieve with your sound system? What is your current sub set up? Sometimes you can go with less to get more. For example, I have a single 12" Pioneer Premier sub in custom MDF ported enclosure that weights just 41 lbs with sub. The box is built to spec and I have hit 141 DB SPL and I have the entire system tuned for SQ. Answer my above questions and I'll provide the best options for you.

·
Registered
561 Posts
infinity bass link! it weighs like 10lds and is a phenomial replacement for the oem sub!

·
Registered
840 Posts
right now i have a kicker l7 12" in the kicer box it came in and im not really a speed freak or racing i just want a nice car and a good sound system the fi btl or a solo x is something ive always wanted but the cubic ft are 5-8 and i dont want to take out my back seats but if i have to i will

1 - 19 of 19 Posts