Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I've searched long and hard, but didn't find a thread about this on the forums.
As you all probably know, steering angle in our Tiburons is, quite frankly, pathetic. I didn't measure the angle itself yet, but I've driven cars with similiar dimensions and wheelbase and could turn them around "in one go", while doing so in my Tib in the exact same place can sometimes take 2 or even 3 adjustements.
So, back to the problem - has anybody ever tried to improve that? I know some cars came pre equipped with spacers in the.. steering gear? (not my first lang, I mean the part that connects the wheels to the steering shaft). Maybe somebody knows if that's the case in our Tibs. I can't take apart my daily driver for now, but I'll be willing to check if nobody knows. You can get steering angle kits, I know they're pretty popular for BMW's, but I didn't find any for Tiburons, checked for Santa Fe and Elantra just in case, too. Maybe kit meant for even different car will fit? If anything fails, I guess I could hit up one of the companies that makes the kits and ask them to make one for Tiburon, but I'm afraid the marketbase is way too small for that.

I'll be thankful for showing me the direction I should go, I'm happy to experiment if anybody has any ideas to try.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@03tibgts not sure if I understood you correctly. Do you mean that the steering angle is so narrow to make steering more stiff? I'm no mechanic but rather a hobbyst who is still very much learning, but I don't think the struts matter here. What I want is for the wheels to be more perpendicular to the car when I turn the steering wheel all the way left or right. Like on this picture. I don't think it has anything to do with steering stiffness, but I'd be happy to learn if it does (and why). I'd be happy for even half of the improvement you can see on the pic. Tib is obviously not a drift machine, but being able to make a U-turn without requiring a 3 lane street would be nice

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,454 Posts
Nobody has modified their Tib to increase steering angle to my knowledge. There are two common methods that I'm aware of:

1) Decrease the length of the arm on the knuckle that the outer tie rod attaches.
2) Find a steering rack that moves farther outward.

Or an unpopular 3rd option:
3) Buy a different car.

There are no aftermarket knuckles available or OEM knuckles from other Hyundais that give you more steering angle.

• Love
Reactions: lstanis

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@chase206 thank you! that gives me a solid direction to follow, you helped a lot by providing correct names, I was using slightly different, directly translated wording which could explain why my research had so poor results.

Or an unpopular 3rd option:
3) Buy a different car.
I'd say that's a pretty extreme response to non-perfect steering angle. I'm a tinkerer by nature, I like playing with and improving things. I love the fact that my Tibby isn't perfect and lacks a lot of features which one could expect based on it's age - that means I can try to retrofit what I feel is missing and learn new things. Honestly, I think I'd be bored with a car specifically tailored for me.

I noticed a link in your bio (opengk.org). While I personally believe standalone is the way to go (at least in N/A engines) I appreciate the effort - I sent a small donation, hope you can reach your goals. Unlocked stock ECU would probably spark a bit of new interest in Tiburons, at least around the pops&bangs ricer community :p

· Administrator
9,645 Posts
The only thing you have to consider and remember this is a fwd car uou can't add too much angle without the axle binding up. Just something to consider.
Dang it, I should posted similar when I thought about it earlier. LOL.....

Yes, FWD and AWD have a limitation in steering angle due to overloading the CV joints. Now, if you could get more steering, I would be using the new sharper steering angle at low speeds and not often. Otherwise, you may be getting good at replacing axles.

If you checked on kits, I would guess most are for RWD cars. If you had an axle for your car, you could bend an angle and rotate the outer joint to check for bind. Once you get that angle, compare your current limit on the car. I will guess the car is currently just short of the joint bind.

• Love

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,454 Posts
@chase206 thank you! that gives me a solid direction to follow, you helped a lot by providing correct names, I was using slightly different, directly translated wording which could explain why my research had so poor results.

I'd say that's a pretty extreme response to non-perfect steering angle. I'm a tinkerer by nature, I like playing with and improving things. I love the fact that my Tibby isn't perfect and lacks a lot of features which one could expect based on it's age - that means I can try to retrofit what I feel is missing and learn new things. Honestly, I think I'd be bored with a car specifically tailored for me.

I noticed a link in your bio (opengk.org). While I personally believe standalone is the way to go (at least in N/A engines) I appreciate the effort - I sent a small donation, hope you can reach your goals. Unlocked stock ECU would probably spark a bit of new interest in Tiburons, at least around the pops&bangs ricer community :p
It's no problem at all. Rushking19 and Charlie-III are right but I think we can get a few more degrees out of our steering angle safely. Just don't give it the beans at full lock or it will tear up your CVs. When removing the CV axle from the hub I can almost turn the knuckle 70-80 degrees with the outer tie rod detached. Obviously at that angle it would bind up real bad but that should give you an idea of the extreme outer limit.

I appreciate the donation! I have to update the site some more but we've made quite a bit of progress on tunability. I agree with you that standalones are far superior but I enjoy doing things the hard and DIY way. The OEM ECU is basically a BMW MS4x with 3 ignition channels and without VANOS. It is more than sufficient for up to 280WHP N/A and supercharged. (Up to 325WHP with a MAF upgrade or voltage divider to increase MAF limitation) Turbocharging should be done with a standalone because of the MAF vs MAP issue and a BOV adds complexity to a MAF car.

I think I've managed to convince a few people to stay with the Tiburon platform because of this new knowledge. That and community goes nuts for pops & bangs and a matched ignition/fuel cut limiter. @Rushking19 is using one of my modded ECUs and has a good time with it N/A with all the fun stuff. He will be transitioning to his MegaSquirt for the turbo build though.

• Love

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your input! I am aware of the possible axle binding, but I believe there is a lot of room for improvement before that. It's a shame there isn't any P&P solution. I might hit up a machine shop and ask them to modify the control arms for me. Who knows, maybe we could even get some company to make us a kit? I'm not really optimistic because considering this is a first thread like that on the forums, the market for it is non-existent.

@chase206
I agree with you that standalones are far superior but I enjoy doing things the hard and DIY way.
That's usually my approach too, but with topics I understand better, while I'm just entering the world of ECUs :p I'm planning to go standalone soon, take it to a tuner and then slowly bring the Tib to 21st century by replacing our coilpack to integrated coils (which will eliminate the issue of these damn cables snapping off), electronic throttle body so I can get rid of that huge cruise control(ler) and basically learn in the process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts