Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...

first of all i have gone thru the whole hatch rattle DIY page by page and did everything that everyone suggested. i tore apart the sides and taped everything that could possibly rattle down. i took that little cover off. i taped down the wires inside the little cover. i removed all that was under the cover of the hatch minus the spare (i even tried riding without the spare) and i still cant find the damn noise.

And so getting desperate i decided to climb into the hatch and let my brother cruise around just so i could get an idea where the noises were coming from. Im sure for the majority of you that's an easy task, but for me, i'm 6'1 and 215lbs and the rear strut bar really put me in an uncomfortable position... but riding around i could not figure out where the damn noise was coming from.

however i am thinking its coming from around the top of the strut assembly, or the top of the strut tower. Its not really loud when you're in the hatch, but when you're in front its loud as a mother and a constant rattle.

Also i got the rear sway bar swapped, and the exhaust was just swapped today too so i dont think its them making the noise (the noises are still there!). However if anyone has had experience with a similar hatch experience and found the problem in the same area coming from the suspension underneath or somewhere in the hatch, please share your knowledge because it drives me friggin craaaazzzzzzy.

·
Registered
605 Posts
my hatch doesn't rattle but the damn b pillar and c pillar does. like you said drives me crazzy. now for solutions, though expensive get the whole thing dynamated. that's what i'm doing next summer to get rid of ALL the rattles. any ones elses ideas?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a horrible rattle in the hatch and tried just about everything. Then one day I popped it open stuck my head in as far as I could and put my knee up on the bumber. The weight from that made a rattle and so I took it off and as I put my foot towards the ground I hit the exhaust and BAM. there was the rattle. So I get down and start looking at it and sure enough the exaust was just a little bit lose and was tapping. Brought it back to the shop, free fix and have been silent ever since! Just my experience dont know if it will help you at all. I guess just try to wigle it up and down to make sure its nice and snug. Like I said mine was just a lil bit lose. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thought i'd update this.

The other day me and my brother took turns riding in the hatch to listen for the sound. We found that when we pushed up on the hatch the rattling almost stopped completely.

We have yet to find the problem but we've narrowed it down to the hatch itself, or the rear bumper. I want to remove the rear bumper and drive around but here in cali, its against the law to do so.

however, this is like a breakthru for me, as i've been suffering from hatch rattles ever since the beginning of my tib ownership and it was about the only TURNOFF about this car that ive had.

hopefully a solution is to come in the near future. Will take pics of whatever is the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Ah, the hated hatch rattle. Mine rattles as well, I tried fixing it with no luck. I'll have to give it another go in the very near future..

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've sorta gotten used to it. The 101 in San Jose is like riding off road anyhow... my damn fillings rattle whenever I drive to work and back.

Hope you find it; I'm almost sure it's the hatch itself. Maybe put some foam on the jam and close it, see if it goes away? since you said it went away when you pushed up on the hatch from inside... just a thought.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i had some rattling but i came to find out that when i had moved the jack out from the trunk i broke loose the drain pipe....a lil zip tie helped that out

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive very close to the solution. My mechanic opened the hatch and used a clamp on one of the struts to keep it from flexing and close the hatch. he drove around and found that the majority of the noise went away. I'll take some pictures of the problem areas; it turns out theres like 50 things that rattle in the hatch. Fortunately i may have found the source of the one that's been driving me crazy. Pictures to come once i have a definite solution although it probably won't be a clean one.

·
Registered
412 Posts
ive very close to the solution. My mechanic opened the hatch and used a clamp on one of the struts to keep it from flexing and close the hatch. he drove around and found that the majority of the noise went away. I'll take some pictures of the problem areas; it turns out theres like 50 things that rattle in the hatch. Fortunately i may have found the source of the one that's been driving me crazy. Pictures to come once i have a definite solution although it probably won't be a clean one.
so, what happened to the pics? :3_devil_w

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have this damn problem and i have decided to buy a ton of Dynamat since the drivers side door is also making a rattle. im gonna take my whole trunk apart and cover it

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
you know,

i found something in my hatch the other day that caused a real annoying rattle,

but you have to take off the big plastic trim piece to find it,

it's kind of hard to explain but here goes,

it's essentially located where the handle to close the hatch with is located,

right in there, there's a screw that you need to undo so you can take off the trim, well on the inside that screw is attached to a thin flat piece of metal that is bent inside to make space for the handle,

well that little metal piece is flimsy as hell and when you have the trim off and you just bang against it you can hear it rattle. I just ran inside and grabbed a piece of bubble wrap, folded it a couple of times and wedged it behind the metal piece to give it some support and it stopped rattling.

Dont know if you might have the same problem but it's worth checking out if you cant find anything else,

To get the big trim piece off you need to remove 4 screws, the one in the handle, 1 on the opposite side that it recessed in a hole in the trim, and the 2 screws that hold the hook which the cover hangs off of.

when you have those 4 screws off you'll basically have to pull around to get it to snap out of all the clips. The front of it needs to come off first and then the back

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
im thinking of just ripping out all the interior trim
valium is your friend!.....

no b seriously, why not, it's easy.... except for the parts around the rear seats, that's the only part i havent tackled yet, oh and the dash too :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I've got the noise also but mine seems to be more of a squeak rather than a rattle. It can be all nice and quiet and then when I hit a bump or go over some lane dividers it starts lol. Annoying as hell but I don't think I'm gonna get my wife or daughter to ride in the hatch area. I guess it will have to be one of those try this and try that sort of things.:3_saai:

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
i have a real bad one.

it has an eletrical sound to it, like quite static. it sounds like its coming from somehwere behind the drivers seat in the rear. Sometimes its not there, sometimes, its quite, and sometimes its louder then you could imagine

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This is a carzy dilema. So many pieces to cause rattles and so many ways to fix them. I just started to develop a loud rattle that has gotten worse over the past few days. Mine sounds more like a thud type rattle if that makes sense. At first I thought it was just the cover over the spare tire, but after reading these threads I am nervous to look into the cause if there are so many options. I am going to check the exhaust option today and see if that is the problem. My rattle actually will make noise when I leave a stop light sometimes, like something is shifting backwards. :3_steam:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Im pretty sure that most of the rattles come from the fact the the latch on the hatch doesnt latch properly, which is why if you push up on the hatch the rattle goes away because it prevents the hatch from bouncing up and down when you hit a bump. I remember someone put some towels where the hatch latches and the problem went away. I sure there is a better way to get rid of it. Others might experience other rattles as well.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I need to try the towel thing. I bet that is what is wrong. My rattle is a deep thud and I bet it is from the whole stupid thing bouncing. I guess I need to buy a CF hatch now. HeHe...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i've ruled out the rear bumper support/lining, license plate, spare tire well. ive tried putting my finger underneath the bottom tip of the latch spring while my bro was driving to see if i could feel any vibration without any luck. i did the towel thing and that did def. solve my problem. I then removed them and ended up loosening the rear most bushings and that has solved as a temporary fix to the main rattle i've been crying about. as for the one behind the driver seat (which sounds like its coming from the seat belt) i've yet to find that one. And there's also a rattle that comes from somwhere in the vent area, and my sun visors also rattle. i've had or have just about almost every little rattle you could have with this car. you fix one and then another one comes up. once i fix my exhaust rattle i'll start tackling these interior ones again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts