Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Installed the OBX Manifold and Tial External Wastgate early this week and wow what a difference that is made. The second I floor it, the boost hits the defined boost level and doesnt spike at all, not one bit. Before I would dance over 2-3psi, but not with the tial. Also my boost climbs much quicker with this manifold, and I can feel a major difference on all powerbands. I'll post some pics later on!

Overall project impression: :3_winkthu very pleased with results!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chances are you are incorrect because that logstyle manifold i had featured uneven ports which does hamper performance, and im not saying to the small amount. It was visually obvious.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it on ebay. The obx manifolds are amazing, the welds are absolutely perfect on this one. I know ppl have had problems in the past but it seems they got it right finally.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
Ok, I should clarify my statement. If you had a poorly designed log manifold then you will notice a difference. But the reason why I said its mainly the wastegate is because you no longer have the internal gate's gases slamming into the turbine flow. This makes the turbine much more effecient in getting the hot exhaust gas out which greatly improves spool up time.
If you took a well designed log manifold, like Alpine's, and a well designed tubular manifold and left them both internally gated the power difference will be on the order of up to 5whp. Not worth it IMHO because a well designed cast log manifold will last 100 times longer that even the best tubular ones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dvanderk said:
I got it on ebay. The obx manifolds are amazing, the welds are absolutely perfect on this one. I know ppl have had problems in the past but it seems they got it right finally.
I totally agree with you that's exactly my set-up as you can see in the pics but mine is black ceramic coated. Many OBX parts are true quality and so cheap. I also have the exhaust cam gear sproket and that thing is so perfect (I can tell; I use to have a fidanza and compared to this one, the Fidanza was crap).

·
Registered
452 Posts
mayollo072R said:
I totally agree with you that's exactly my set-up as you can see in the pics but mine is black ceramic coated. Many OBX parts are true quality and so cheap. I also have the exhaust cam gear sproket and that thing is so perfect (I can tell; I use to have a fidanza and compared to this one, the Fidanza was crap).
can u get better pics of ur turbo setup for us...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The OBX manifold is ****** period! It cracks, has bad internal welds, doesn't line up correctly with the head ports, has thin material, looks like **** after a few months, and won't allow you to use most internally gated turbos without modification.
Here's a recent post about someone with it: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=18764&hl=obx+manifold
Read it entirely.
Hell, we even have a warning notice about it in our "grocery list" stickey thread: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?act=ST&f=13&t=18676&st=0#entry253166

Dvanderk: You've been around long enough to know better and I know you've read all the posts about the OBX manifolds being ******. So why did you go with it against everyones recomendations??

People, please search before you throw away your money. Their manifold is not only known as being ****** in the Hyundai scene. Even Honda and Mitsu owners have the same problems with it FALLING APART!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well if it fails ill just get a cast iron header from kspec. So far this one is working out great with no problems at all.

·
Retired Staff | Track Rat
5,714 Posts
dvanderk said:
Here's a long awaited pic of my setup with the new header and wastegate:

Very nice man :3_nosthum

1 - 19 of 19 Posts