Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I got an 07 Tucson 2.7 recently.
I heard that the 06 Tucson intake manifold is bigger then normal. Is that same with the 07.

And what are some easy performance mods I can do to the engine . To let me merge on to highway easier.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It depends on what version of the 2.7l some 2.7l engines came with the variable runner intake manifold. There where two versions one of the 2.7l non cvvt and one for the mu 2.7l cvvt. To make either one work will require some modifications.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,223 Posts
There are three variations of the intake manifolds. Nobody has designated a name scheme to my knowledge so I'll start with this:

1) Delta V1 static runners
2) Delta V2 variable intake runners (Found on 2009 Sportages or other later Delta cars. Requires ECU 5WY1F with firmware to support the two intake actuators)
3) Mu variable intake runners (Found on Mu motors only. Completely different Bosch ECU, not compatible with our harness)

The Delta V2 is the easiest to swap but has the least to gain without major port work. You need both upper and lower intakes and both fuel rails for this swap. The OEM throttle body fits these intakes no problem. The actuators are useless unless you have an ECU that supports it. The 2009 Sportage ECU can be made to work with this setup.

The Mu intake is the hardest to swap but yields the most gains. You need the upper, lower, both fuel rails, custom throttle body flange, harness built to accept the different intake air temp sensor and the 2009 Sportage ECU. The Bosch ECU that was meant for the Mu engine is not compatible without major rewiring. The 2009 Sportage has the provisions for the two intake actuators and the software from 2009 can be flashed on the Tiburon 2007-2008 ECUs to support it. There is a DIY here by DMDicks:

I bought DMDicks setup 3rd hand from another seller on here in the last 2 years and I have been working on a way to make the OEM ECUs work with this ECU on the Tiburon platform. I just haven't executed it yet since I've purchased an Alpine supercharger and shifted my priorities.

Here are the differences between the lower intake manifolds. From left to right is the Delta V1, Delta V2 and Mu lower intakes. You will notice that the centerline is offset on the Delta V2 and Mu lower intakes. Also the fuel rail mount points have changed which requires different fuel rails.

Wood Personal protective equipment Pattern Metal Auto part

Wood Gas Automotive tire Auto part Art

Wood Sculpture Auto part Gas Machine

Wood Automotive tire Sculpture Art Automotive wheel system

The upper intakes differ in shape and size between the Delta V2 and Mu. Here are comparisons of the two. The first is the Delta V2 and the second is the Mu intake with the TB flange cutoff:

Automotive air manifold Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Gas

Wood Bicycle part Font Auto part Metal

I have selected a 75mm Porsche throttle body to use with the Mu intake because it accepts our OEM idle air control valve. The TPS doesn't work so it needs to be adapted to our OEM TPS. Here is the throttle body and the flange I started building with the intent to have it welded to the Mu upper intake:

Automotive tire Gas Automotive exhaust Machine Metal

Wood Rectangle Ingredient Wood stain Gas

Wood Gas Rectangle Composite material Auto part

The rest of your intended modlist is OK except for the injectors. You do not need larger injectors until you are pushing about 250WHP. The OEM 190/210cc injectors are more than sufficient for an N/A car up to that point. The stage 1 superchargers kits are rated at 225WHP on the OEM 190/210cc injectors at 6800 redline and do not reach 80% duty cycle for example. Remember, MORE FUEL does not equal MORE POWER. Bigger injectors will do you no good until you are pushing big numbers with big boost.

There aren't any respectable tuners state side. If you find one, let me know ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are three variations of the intake manifolds. Nobody has designated a name scheme to my knowledge so I'll start with this:

1) Delta V1 static runners
2) Delta V2 variable intake runners (Found on 2009 Sportages or other later Delta cars. Requires ECU 5WY1F with firmware to support the two intake actuators)
3) Mu variable intake runners (Completely different Bosch ECU, not compatible with our harness)

The Delta V2 is the easiest to swap but has the least to gain without major port work. You need both upper and lower intakes and both fuel rails for this swap. The OEM throttle body fits these intakes no problem. The actuators are useless unless you have an ECU that supports it. The 2009 Sportage ECU can be made to work with this setup.

The Mu intake is the hardest to swap but yields the most gains. You need the upper, lower, both fuel rails, custom throttle body flange, harness built to accept the different intake air temp sensor and the 2009 Sportage ECU. The Bosch ECU that was meant for the Mu engine is not compatible without major rewiring. The 2009 Sportage has the provisions for the two intake actuators and the software from 2009 can be flashed on the Tiburon 2007-2008 ECUs to support it. I have been working on a way to make this work on the Tiburon because I have all the bits to make this work. I just haven't executed it yet and I've purchased an Alpine supercharger so priority isn't as high as it was to get this done.

Here are the differences between the lower intake manifolds. From left to right is the Delta V1, Delta V2 and Mu lower intakes. You will notice that the centerline is offset on the Delta V2 and Mu lower intakes. Also the fuel rail mount points have changed which requires different fuel rails.

View attachment 138787
View attachment 138790
View attachment 138788
View attachment 138789

The upper intakes differ in shape and size between the Delta V2 and Mu. Here are comparisons of the two. The first is the Delta V2 and the second is the Mu intake with the TB flange cutoff:

View attachment 138791
View attachment 138792

I have selected a 75mm Porsche throttle body to use with the Mu intake because it accepts our OEM idle air control valve. The TPS doesn't work so it needs to be adapted to our OEM TPS. Here is the throttle body and the flange I started building with the intent to have it welded to the Mu upper intake:

View attachment 138793
View attachment 138794
View attachment 138795

The rest of your intended modlist is OK except for the injectors. You do not need larger injectors until you are pushing about 250WHP. The OEM 190/210cc injectors are more than sufficient for an N/A car up to that point. The stage 1 superchargers kits are rated at 225WHP on the OEM 190/210cc injectors at 6800 redline and do not reach 80% duty cycle for example. Remember, MORE FUEL does not equal MORE POWER. Bigger injectors will do you no good until you are pushing big numbers with big boost.

There aren't any respectable tuners state side. If you find one, let me know ;)
hey I just found a pair of Tiburon gT headers , would this be a good upgrade compared to the headers from the stock 2.7 in the Tuscon?

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,223 Posts
OEM manifolds are about the same so you won't see a difference there. However, if they are actual tube headers you will see an improvement in performance.

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,223 Posts
Those are an upgrade from the OEM manifolds. Keep in mind that the 1.5" primary tubes of those Chinese knockoffs are on the small side but they work pretty good. I use the same headers on my Tiburon and it rips all the way out to 7300 RPM. Only downside is that the Y pipe is poorly designed. If you have custom exhaust made have them build you a better Y pipe. For best results wrap the headers in DEI header wrap and install a heat protective sock on your crank sensor wiring. The crank sensors like to flake out when too much heat from headers get to the wiring. Also make sure that the O2 sensors are the right type. Cars older than Jan 31st 2003 use 5v O2 sensors while cars after that are 1v O2 sensors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are an upgrade from the OEM manifolds. Keep in mind that the 1.5" primary tubes of those Chinese knockoffs are on the small side but they work pretty good. I use the same headers on my Tiburon and it rips all the way out to 7300 RPM. Only downside is that the Y pipe is poorly designed. If you have custom exhaust made have them build you a better Y pipe. For best results wrap the headers in DEI header wrap and install a heat protective sock on your crank sensor wiring. The crank sensors like to flake out when too much heat from headers get to the wiring. Also make sure that the O2 sensors are the right type. Cars older than Jan 31st 2003 use 5v O2 sensors while cars after that are 1v O2 sensors.

Font Electric blue Technology Audio equipment Rectangle

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Tiburon SE
1,223 Posts
That could work. You want a heat protection sleeve made of a fiber materialy like this:

This one is too narrow so look for something larger about 1inch in diameter for best results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts