Hyundai Tiburon Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on doing intake, headers, and intake manifold... just because they are relatively cheap power gains.

the one thing I DONT want to do is exhaust. most of my driving is on the freeway and I dont really like that SUPER LOUD buzzing going on. (trust me I know my 240sx was loud).

the question I have is: will all of the added breathing... trying to be forced through the stock exhaust HARM the motor?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
if you dont want it super loud, just get I/E/IM, the headers are what truly make it loud...

·
Registered
898 Posts
exhaust before headers or else it will be a big bottleneck. And if you don't want loud, don't get headers

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another factor is I REALLY dont feel like dropping 700 bucks on getting an exhaust. I'm just really not a fan of anything that has that expensive of an exhaust system and doesnt hit 13's.

that and I would rather buy a TV for the cost of exhaust + shipping ;)

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
I have I/stg. 4/catback. Not loud until higher rpms where you hear that injen sri roar. You can always look for a used catback. I got my mbrp for 250

·
Registered
898 Posts
Trance Ninja said:
another factor is I REALLY dont feel like dropping 700 bucks on getting an exhaust. I'm just really not a fan of anything that has that expensive of an exhaust system and doesnt hit 13's.

that and I would rather buy a TV for the cost of exhaust + shipping ;)
Exhaust is not 700 dollars. If your buying a 700 dollar exhaust system, then you are getting ripped off. You just need to know where to shop. If I can get a exhaust for 300 bucks from father Mopar, then you can definitely find an exhaust for cheap as well

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Do you have a radio, or just drive listening to wind blow on your car.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hes right on the exhaust. There are some expensive ones. Ebay has DC, Mussa, Injen, and GReddy and they all go for around 600-800

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahaha QUESTION! will the increased flow bottlenecking in the stock exhaust harm the engine? lol

I might look into getting an exhaust... but its one of those things that either sounds really good or really bad and I dont want to take a chance on getting something cheap and it sounding stupid

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
Trance Ninja said:
hahaha QUESTION! will the increased flow bottlenecking in the stock exhaust harm the engine? lol

I might look into getting an exhaust... but its one of those things that either sounds really good or really bad and I dont want to take a chance on getting something cheap and it sounding stupid

You could find a performance shop or exhaust shop in your area and have them custom build you one. you could get a nice system built for 300-400bucks

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
what kind of intake manifold are u looking to get? Because both stg3 and stg4 from NGM cost as much, if not more, than a exhaust. if noise is ur concern, get some silencers for ur exhaust to use during the week

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
probably looking at getting a used stage 3 ngm im. will probably get used headers. would rather get a new intake, just based on the nature of it. that entire setup should run me around 750 or so from the prices Ive seen. that and I already have an safc II from my 240 for tuning when the time comes should keep the cost down for what should probably net me what... 35 ish whp?

As long as that increased flow doesnt harm the motor when it bottlenecks into the stock exhaust... will that hurt the motor?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Go for the widescreen TV and you can watch the rest of us on it as we scream down the rosd with our loud exhaust and headers LOL

·
NT's Medical Student
1,120 Posts
so will anyone ever answer this guys question? He wants to know if the bottleneck will harm his motor. lol I haven't seen a post with an answer yet. This includes my reply btw.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Well I mean, I don't think it'll harm the motor, but you will be choking exhaust flow, which in its own sense is bad. Think of going from a big straw and at the end it gets really tiny. Air isn't coming out as good, right? Same concept

·
Registered
270 Posts
You will not damage the motor.

There, I said it.

Your engine under the best NA application does not produse enough pressure to damage the engine through the stock headers and exhaust.

You will, however, not see nearly the gains a good exhaust will give you with the other mods.

What you're looking at (pre-exhaust) is around a 15-18 HP gain. With exhaust you might get 30.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Trevor said:
You will not damage the motor.

There, I said it.

Your engine under the best NA application does not produse enough pressure to damage the engine through the stock headers and exhaust.

You will, however, not see nearly the gains a good exhaust will give you with the other mods.

What you're looking at (pre-exhaust) is around a 15-18 HP gain. With exhaust you might get 30.
30hp? Holy sh!t. Are you talking about to the wheels or to the flywheel? Maybe to the flywheel. But remember modifications do not stack up like that. I'd say with i/h/e he will have gained an extra 20whp all together, which really isn't that bad, and then he gets a tune and he'll be around 175-180whp.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Hmmmm. .......That's funny,I did SSA complete exhaust system ,Smart tuner ,CAI,BBTB, Aluminum flywheel and stg3 clutch and netted 184 whp from stock 145 .........So how do ya figure that Darksoul, and no you will not hurt your motor by not doing exhaust headers, I have No problems with my exhaust being loud at all, in fact it's not loud . It has a very deep and throaty sound, (helps to put a magnaflow cat inplace of the race cat) and the whole exhaust system cost me about $440.00 delivered to my door.( in hindsight I wish I woulda got the headers from NGM) But to get the whp your expecting Trance,you're gonna need to do headers .

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
You wont hurt the engine, other people hve already done the same setup that u'r thinking of. Theres also a couple of F/I setups running 7-8 psi and they have stock headers/exhaust, so I cant imagine just having the stock exhaust n/a being harmful. F/i though I would think it is

1 - 20 of 41 Posts